permaculture playing cards*
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes Got a job through coderanch? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "Got a job through coderanch?" Watch "Got a job through coderanch?" New topic
Author

Got a job through coderanch?

Matt Couto
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Posts: 38
Hi Y'all
Has anyone ever got a job through this amazing forum? If so, How was that?
I've seen many job opportunities and professionals wishing to get a jog through here so that's why I got a little curious.
Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2008
Posts: 5575

gain knowledge on field x (start)----> get job ----> etc..

and here in Javaranch you can discuss from start to etc . I dont know how many of them got job from JavaRanch! but probably countless . for instance I got *good* Job help of the JavaRanch !
Matt Couto
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Posts: 38
Seetharaman Venkatasamy wrote:gain knowledge on field x (start)----> get job ----> etc..

and here in Javaranch you can discuss from start to etc . I dont know how many of them got job from JavaRanch! but probably countless . for instance I got *good* Job help of the JavaRanch !


Hi there,
thanks for your response, but what I meant was if some *experienced* guy - about over 4 year of experience - has gotten a job through the *JavaRanch*, and not how to get a job generally...

Anyone !?
arulk pillai
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 31, 2007
Posts: 3219
You mean via the "Jobs Wanted" forum?


Java Interview Questions and Answers Blog | Amazon.com profile | Java Interview Books
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 30138
    
150

I know someone who got a job do to a connection made here. But that's networking and one on one connections. I also know a few people I've interviewed that recognized my name from the ranch and commented on that at an interview.


[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Matt Couto
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Posts: 38
arulk pillai wrote:You mean via the "Jobs Wanted" forum?


Yes, exactly and also via "Jobs Offered".

Matt Couto
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Posts: 38
The main reason is that I'd like to know how hard/easy is to get a job overseas(Assuming that in this forum, there are a bunch of people from everywhere in the world)?
If someone has been through a situation like this, I would like to hear a few details such as, if they provided you a working visa or you must be in the country to try and apply for some opportunities!?
Any comments are welcome!
chris webster
Bartender

Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Posts: 1624
    
  13

Matt Couto wrote:The main reason is that I'd like to know how hard/easy is to get a job overseas(Assuming that in this forum, there are a bunch of people from everywhere in the world)?
If someone has been through a situation like this, I would like to hear a few details such as, if they provided you a working visa or you must be in the country to try and apply for some opportunities!?
Any comments are welcome!

Wouldn't you be better looking at the major recruitment sites for the country/countries you're interested in? I'm not sure how many employers would necessarily make JavaRanch their first stop when recruiting experienced developers in their own country. The Jobs Offered forum shows about 7 jobs worldwide in the last week, while the UK-based JobServe site has over 2000 "Java" jobs in the same period, for example.

As for work permits etc, that will depend on the country/employer/job. If you're looking for temporary contract work, it's less likely the employer will want to spend weeks/months to go through the hassle of applying for visas etc if they only need you for 3 months. Also, it will depend on your skills - if they can hire somebody with the same skills locally who already has permission to work in the country, they don't need to waste time applying for a visa for you. Some countries allow you to apply for a visa that would permit you to go and live there and look for work (e.g. Canada), but this process is usually slow and expensive with lots of restrictions. Otherwise the usual approach seems to be that your prospective employer has to apply for a visa/work permit on your behalf, and perhaps certify that they can't hire somebody locally with the same skills.

Here in the EU (I'm in the UK), you can usually work anywhere in the EU (and Switzerland) if you're a citizen of an EU member state, but I'm not sure if this applies to non-EU citizens with a permit for one EU country who are looking to work in another EU country. In the UK, there have also been some half-hearted attempts to restrict the influx of IT workers from India, although there are so many loopholes that this still doesn't seem to be much of a problem for employers wanting to import staff from India currently.

No more Blub for me, thank you, Vicar.
Matt Couto
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Posts: 38
chris webster wrote:
Matt Couto wrote:The main reason is that I'd like to know how hard/easy is to get a job overseas(Assuming that in this forum, there are a bunch of people from everywhere in the world)?
If someone has been through a situation like this, I would like to hear a few details such as, if they provided you a working visa or you must be in the country to try and apply for some opportunities!?
Any comments are welcome!

Wouldn't you be better looking at the major recruitment sites for the country/countries you're interested in? I'm not sure how many employers would necessarily make JavaRanch their first stop when recruiting experienced developers in their own country. The Jobs Offered forum shows about 7 jobs worldwide in the last week, while the UK-based JobServe site has over 2000 "Java" jobs in the same period, for example.

As for work permits etc, that will depend on the country/employer/job. If you're looking for temporary contract work, it's less likely the employer will want to spend weeks/months to go through the hassle of applying for visas etc if they only need you for 3 months. Also, it will depend on your skills - if they can hire somebody with the same skills locally who already has permission to work in the country, they don't need to waste time applying for a visa for you. Some countries allow you to apply for a visa that would permit you to go and live there and look for work (e.g. Canada), but this process is usually slow and expensive with lots of restrictions. Otherwise the usual approach seems to be that your prospective employer has to apply for a visa/work permit on your behalf, and perhaps certify that they can't hire somebody locally with the same skills.

Here in the EU (I'm in the UK), you can usually work anywhere in the EU (and Switzerland) if you're a citizen of an EU member state, but I'm not sure if this applies to non-EU citizens with a permit for one EU country who are looking to work in another EU country. In the UK, there have also been some half-hearted attempts to restrict the influx of IT workers from India, although there are so many loopholes that this still doesn't seem to be much of a problem for employers wanting to import staff from India currently.


Thanks Chris,
Yeah, You're right, applying for a visa that would let me live and work It's bit pricey and takes a while to get the whole process done. I'll figure out what's the most convenient way to work overseas. I'm from Brazil, have got over than 4 years working as JavaEE developer in the same company and things over here are not exciting as It used be a few years ago and for that I was thinking of have a change on this year.
If you have more advice, don't hesitate to say. =]
Thank you guys.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Got a job through coderanch?
 
Similar Threads
Fully Certified, Jobless
Job Market in Australia & Canada
emailing Resume
Good Headhunters?
Passed SCJP 1.5