Win a copy of Design for the Mind this week in the Design forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Bar Code Reader

 
Singh Harmeet
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Eclipse IDE Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
is there any java open source program that is used with java servelets and jsp? my project is courier appication software. with the help of barcode reader libraries, we need to attach barcode reader with my application.
 
Koen Aerts
Ranch Hand
Posts: 344
Java Linux Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A similar question is handled in thread Bar Code Generation API from SUN. Also, check out Java Barcode API and ZXING.
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 20966
31
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bar-code readers and servlets don't seem to have any relationship, not as far as I can see. But let's get a better problem description. What does your design look like? Are you going to be distributing bar-code readers to all the users of your web application?
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 20966
31
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Koen Aerts wrote:A similar question is handled in thread Bar Code Generation API from SUN. Also, check out Java Barcode API and ZXING.


Those all look like bar-code generation tools, rather than bar-code reading tools.
 
Koen Aerts
Ranch Hand
Posts: 344
Java Linux Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Clapham wrote:
Koen Aerts wrote:A similar question is handled in thread Bar Code Generation API from SUN. Also, check out Java Barcode API and ZXING.


Those all look like bar-code generation tools, rather than bar-code reading tools.

ZXing is both reading and writing, from what it says in the description. But you're right, the thread I referred to is about just generating bar codes; my mistake.
 
Singh Harmeet
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Eclipse IDE Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
my requirement is that , to read the barcode number from slip by using bar code reader, there is no need to create , new barcode number , just for read the barcode numbre using barcode reader , device, by using java. my project is based oh courier management, to record the records of courier slip entries. and this project is developed using jsp and servelets , so there is need to attach the barcode reader with web appliation. so for this project , what i do to add functionality of barcode reader ??
 
Singh Harmeet
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Eclipse IDE Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i have a scanner of this type. how to manage the input using bar code scanner in our java program ?
 
rick cook
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Koen Aerts wrote:
Paul Clapham wrote:
Koen Aerts wrote:A similar question is handled in thread Bar Code Generation API from SUN. Also, check out Java Barcode API and ZXING.


Those all look like bar-code generation tools, rather than bar-code reading tools.

ZXing is both reading and writing, from what it says in the description. But you're right, the thread I referred to is about just generating bar codes; my mistake.



But still thanks for recommending these three barcode reading sdk providers. I will compare them and decide what to use finally.
 
Gareth Howells
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Most of the barcode readers I've seen effectively behave like a keyboard. If you run Notepad or another editor and scan a barcode, what do you see appear in the editor?

If you see text as if you'd typed in the barcode's data instead of scanning it, then you should be able to get the data into your application easily enough in the same way as if the user was typing on a keyboard.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic