File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes IDEs, Version Control and other tools and the fly likes Eclipse not showing suggested method choices Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » IDEs, Version Control and other tools
Bookmark "Eclipse not showing suggested method choices" Watch "Eclipse not showing suggested method choices" New topic
Author

Eclipse not showing suggested method choices

Bradley Arvin
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Posts: 5
I hope this is the right section. Whenever I am typing in Eclipse, no suggested methods ever come up. Here is a link to what I should see: Eclipse help. Also when I do what that article say, I still get no recommendations. For the record, I am on Ubuntu and I use Eclipse Indigo.

Thanks,
Brad
Darryl Burke
Bartender

Joined: May 03, 2008
Posts: 4523
    
    5

Hi Bradley, and welcome to the Ranch! Your question is a better fit here than in Beginning Java, so I've moved it for you.


luck, db
There are no new questions, but there may be new answers.
Vinod Vijay
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 13, 2011
Posts: 119

Bradley Arvin wrote:I hope this is the right section. Whenever I am typing in Eclipse, no suggested methods ever come up. Here is a link to what I should see: Eclipse help. Also when I do what that article say, I still get no recommendations. For the record, I am on Ubuntu and I use Eclipse Indigo.

Thanks,
Brad


Eclipse will certainly show you the suggested methods. You need to press both control key + space key at the same time after the dot (.) operator.
For e.g. Employee emp = new Employee();
emp.[ctl key + space key]


Vinod Vijay Nair
Bradley Arvin
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Posts: 5
Eclipse will certainly show you the suggested methods. You need to press both control key + space key at the same time after the dot (.) operator.
For e.g. Employee emp = new Employee();
emp.[ctl key + space key]


It normally would. However on my new computer, neither in Ubuntu or Windows, does Eclipse show the suggested methods. I took a screen shot so you can see what I'm talking about. My Screen Shot. I hope this can help.
Koen Aerts
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 07, 2012
Posts: 344

Sometimes this may happen if there's a code error elsewhere in your source file... not sure if that's the case for you or not.

Also, I know it's not related to the question you're asking, but I just can't let it go... in your screenshot you have a bunch of if() else() statements; each one does raw.toLowerCase().equals("color"); .... that's a lot of redundant toLowerCase() calls, plus what happens if "raw" is null? Maybe just before the first if() statement, do this: Then change each if() statement like this: It will improve performance and handles cases where "raw" is null.
Bradley Arvin
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Posts: 5
Koen Aerts wrote:Sometimes this may happen if there's a code error elsewhere in your source file... not sure if that's the case for you or not.

Also, I know it's not related to the question you're asking, but I just can't let it go... in your screenshot you have a bunch of if() else() statements; each one does raw.toLowerCase().equals("color"); .... that's a lot of redundant toLowerCase() calls, plus what happens if "raw" is null? Maybe just before the first if() statement, do this: Then change each if() statement like this: It will improve performance and handles cases where "raw" is null.


Actually at the beginning of the code I do and I did just tweak out the multiple . Thank you for your comment. Also, along your first idea, I created a new class with just one line and it still didn't recommend anything.
Bradley Arvin
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Posts: 5
Ok so I was experimenting with various things and I found that the Eclipse that I downloaded from the Ubuntu Software Center doesn't show the suggested methods. However, the Eclipse I downloaded from their website does show it. So I'm not sure what to say about that.
Koen Aerts
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 07, 2012
Posts: 344

Sounds like perhaps a missing library or misconfiguration from the Eclipse in the Software Center, who knows.
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender

Joined: May 14, 2008
Posts: 5772
    
    7

Bradley Arvin wrote:Ok so I was experimenting with various things and I found that the Eclipse that I downloaded from the Ubuntu Software Center doesn't show the suggested methods. However, the Eclipse I downloaded from their website does show it. So I'm not sure what to say about that.

I know what to say - never trust Java packages provided by a Linux distro, instead always download them from their web sites!


JBoss In Action
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Eclipse not showing suggested method choices
 
Similar Threads
Indigo children
Trouble opening project in Eclipse
New to Hibernate
BIRT(Business Intelligence Reporting tools) error
Eclipse palette problem