GeeCON Prague 2014*
The moose likes Java Micro Edition and the fly likes Sms Sending From Pc to mobile Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


JavaRanch » Java Forums » Mobile » Java Micro Edition
Bookmark "Sms Sending From Pc to mobile " Watch "Sms Sending From Pc to mobile " New topic
Author

Sms Sending From Pc to mobile

Sana Bokhari
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 7
hey ....i tried a lot but cant figure out what to do .
what i want is
1. Connecting cell phone to pc through data cable
2. Sending a plain text message from pc to someone... the cell phone is acting like a gsm modem here.

i am able to detect the ports... but i fail to use them... i even googled it but the codes i get mostly dnt work... or i think i can get,what they do ... so any help will be appreciated ...
thank you.
Srinath Gamage
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Posts: 40

hi,
Search for gammu. It includes a SMS Daemon which can be used to SMS through the connected phone.
After getting it configured, just only a matter of calling command line utility with right parameters.


SCJP & SCMAD
http://srinathbugz.blogspot.com/
Darryl Burke
Bartender

Joined: May 03, 2008
Posts: 4572
    
    5

Sana, please UseOneThreadPerQuestion <-link

Your post in a thread dating from 2005 has been removed. Incidentally, the question was answered in that thread: use a SMS gateway.


luck, db
There are no new questions, but there may be new answers.
Sana Bokhari
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 7
Srinath Gamage wrote:hi,
Search for gammu. It includes a SMS Daemon which can be used to SMS through the connected phone.
After getting it configured, just only a matter of calling command line utility with right parameters.


hey... i did check it out.. but the problem is .... it is limited to sending and recieving sms etc ... what i plan to do is file transfer through sms eventually... which gammu wont support.... and i dont whether gammu and java can be implemented side by side!!
Darryl Burke
Bartender

Joined: May 03, 2008
Posts: 4572
    
    5

Sana Bokhari wrote:... it is limited to sending and recieving sms etc ... what i plan to do is file transfer through sms eventually...

That's an oxymoron. SMS stands for Short Messaging Service. You can't send files by SMS.

What you can do is upload the file to a server and send the URL by SMS. The recipient of the SMS would visit the URL to download the file.

Did you really think a file could be transferred through SMS?
Srinath Gamage
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Posts: 40

Darryl Burke wrote:
That's an oxymoron.

So true

Anyway Sana Bokhari for your other issue, yes you can use Gammu with java.
Walter Gabrielsen Iii
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 09, 2011
Posts: 158
I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Though I don't know if it is even possible since I don't know about sms, My thought is that maybe the best way to transfer the contents of a file here is for Java on the mobile to somehow open an IO input connection stream through the serial cable to the PC and then connect that to an outbound SMS connection through the wireless network connection. Then, just do a read/write cycle until it reaches the end of the file and post that to the SMS connection.
Sana Bokhari
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 7
Walter Gabrielsen Iii wrote:I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Though I don't know if it is even possible since I don't know about sms, My thought is that maybe the best way to transfer the contents of a file here is for Java on the mobile to somehow open an IO input connection stream through the serial cable to the PC and then connect that to an outbound SMS connection through the wireless network connection. Then, just do a read/write cycle until it reaches the end of the file and post that to the SMS connection.
\

What i mean by file transfer through sms was...
i break the file in datapackets....i.e.

1 datapacket = 1 sms (164 bytes)
and then send the file sms by sms.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Sms Sending From Pc to mobile