wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Threads and Synchronization and the fly likes Thread confusion Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Threads and Synchronization
Bookmark "Thread confusion" Watch "Thread confusion" New topic
Author

Thread confusion

Dave cbank
Greenhorn

Hi,

im fairly new to thread.

Currently making a client/server application.
i create a server thread from the main GUI and then pass the gui object to the server thread.
Server thread is waiting for incoming connections . on a new connection it starts the connection handling in a new thread as application is multithreaded
Gui object from server thread is passed onto each of these new threads which can then update the main gui.

i know this is a bad way of doing it.

Any help to guide me in the right direction and suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Dave cbank wrote:
Currently making a client/server application.
i create a server thread from the main GUI and then pass the gui object to the server thread.
Server thread is waiting for incoming connections . on a new connection it starts the connection handling in a new thread as application is multithreaded
Gui object from server thread is passed onto each of these new threads which can then update the main gui.

If by GUI, you mean Swing, remember that it is *not* thread safe. You have to make sure that all changes are done by the event dispatch thread.

Henry

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.

subject: Thread confusion