ITIL is an approach to overall IT governance - however, when working with SOA, we typically perform governance work more specific to SOA. Ideally, we have SOA governance support across the entire scope of our efforts. However, there seems to be an insufficient amount of focus and automation in support of design-time governance.
In our design-time governance efforts we want to ensure that we are:
- establishing and following best practices
- ensuring business-IT alignment
- producing the right services (making the right investments and producing high quality services)
Some of the ways in which the Model Accelerator supports design-time governance include:
- a set of patterns and model constraints to guide the practitioner in performing analysis and design according to best practices
- the patterns and constraints also guide the practitioner to connect their design to the needs of the business and provide support for Service Litmus tests
- a set of reports that support goal-service modeling, service litmus tests, and detail where and how patterns are used in the solution.