I have little bit over 8 yrs experience in developing software applications (as senior software engineer). Having Bach Degree in hand with 4 Certifications (SCJP, SCWCD, IBM SOA Associate & OCP MySQL Developer) - I would like to know how much should I expect in Singapore?
Its really hard to tell based on the criteria you provided. The pay here is dependent on company to company and also depends on your current salary in India (I assume you are currently in India).
The ideal amount would be $4000-$4500 since the skills you mentioned are commonly available here.
Sai Surya, SCJP 5.0, SCWCD 5.0, IBM 833 834
http://sai-surya-talk.blogspot.com, I believe in Murphy's law.
Joined: Jun 17, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm from India. I'm getting here almost 12lac/year here...
I'm just looking for some reasonable figure for my experience (and all those needed to be considered). How much min I would expect, any idea please?
1. How much take home salary I can expect with my above qualifications.
2. How much would I expect expenses for living there. For a small family, me, my wife and my 1 year kid! We don't like living luxoriously, but I prefer only in secured place. Would I expect 2000-2500 per month on this? (1000 for rent, 1000 household expenses, 500 for others?)
Please can any one help me for my above questions?
I can give you an estimate of living expenses. Your estimations are valid back in 2000. I am not sure whether you did some basic research about rental in Singapore etc.
1. Rent for 3+1 (2 bedroom with 1 hall) is $2200 per month. If you find it through agent you need to pay agent half-month rent as agent fee which is $1100 and one month rent as advance.
2. Groceries per month costs about $150 per month excluding cosmetics. I am only talking about just eating and cooking stuff.
3. Your daughter child care costs about $600 per month for full time and $200 for partial which is 3 hrs a day. Any additional activities like swimming etc costs additional.
4. Transport mostly can depend on public which can cost $100 per month per person.
5. Tax about $1500-$2000 per year, you can opt to pay monthly.
6. If you go to restaurant to eat Indian food it can cost about $60-$80.
7. If you take taxi it can cost about $15-$20 on average per trip. I assume if you are tired about busy day or on weekend
and want to take cab back home.
My advice is, don't believe job consultants about rental etc. They may say like rent is $1000 or $1500. Its NOT true. More important, if you have financial commitments in India like home etc, you need to plan for the money you need to send India every month etc. Hope this helps.
Cost of living in Singapore is very high.. In fact it has skyrocketed in the past 4 to 5 years.
Sai Surya was correct in providing the details. To add
Cost of one bedroom apartment - $1800 per month
Groceries,cooking etc - $150 to $170 per month.
I am assuming you use public transport for travel as its cheap and easy to use also.
Transport - $200 per month(2 persons)
Misc - $300 to $500 per month (going out,movies etc etc..)
So overall you can expect your monthly expenses to be around $2500 per month atleast.
Also, you need to pay the tax on your salary. So for a salary of $4500 per month, i can save upto $2000 per month which is equivalent to 80,000 INR
Regarding the salary for 8+ years exp - i dont know why its very less, i have heard one of my friends who is also in Java with 7 years of exp earning $6500
per month in Singapore