wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Java in General and the fly likes Couldn't find java executable wrapper for mac/linux Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Java in General
Bookmark "Couldn Watch "Couldn New topic
Author

Couldn't find java executable wrapper for mac/linux

Nam Ha Minh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 31, 2011
Posts: 498

Hi guys,

Do you know tools/methods for generating a wrapper for a jar on mac/linux? I have been searching for a while without desired results.
For Windows, I can use Launch4J or JSmooth, they are pretty good but only for Bill Gates' OS.

Thanks.


PM Me If You Want to get Urgent Help on Java Programming
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 37926
    
  22
Why do you need a wrapper at all?
Nam Ha Minh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 31, 2011
Posts: 498

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Why do you need a wrapper at all?

I mean a native program that wraps a Java executable jar, it can have a nice icon and can be double clicked to launch. Although an executable jar can be launched by double clicking, that behavior isn't always true on target platforms. I see lot of users complaint that they cannot open jar file on their computer.
naved momin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 03, 2011
Posts: 688

Nam Ha Minh wrote:
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Why do you need a wrapper at all?

I mean a native program that wraps a Java executable jar, it can have a nice icon and can be double clicked to launch. Although an executable jar can be launched by double clicking, that behavior isn't always true on target platforms. I see lot of users complaint that they cannot open jar file on their computer.

yes I understand why you are taking an effort to make a wrapper , last time I had also done the similar stuff , for that I have not used a ready made tool instead I had used .net platform (vb.net ) and I had compile it down to machine code the program contains nice icon for launcher and just double clicking on it launches the *.jar from a fixed location in my case it was my home dir.


The Only way to learn is ...........do!
Visit my blog http://inaved-momin.blogspot.com/
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18541
    
    8

Java Web Start works for all platforms, as far as I know.
Nam Ha Minh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 31, 2011
Posts: 498

naved momin wrote:
yes I understand why you are taking an effort to make a wrapper , last time I had also done the similar stuff , for that I have not used a ready made tool instead I had used .net platform (vb.net ) and I had compile it down to machine code the program contains nice icon for launcher and just double clicking on it launches the *.jar from a fixed location in my case it was my home dir.


Thanks for replying. I am considering to write custom code as well (C#). How about embed the jar file in the exe and extract it after the exe is launched?
Nam Ha Minh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 31, 2011
Posts: 498

Paul Clapham wrote:Java Web Start works for all platforms, as far as I know.

Yes, but user has to download the files. I deliver a desktop app as an executable jar for client.
Stephan van Hulst
Bartender

Joined: Sep 20, 2010
Posts: 3575
    
  14

What's wrong with a shortcut? Shortcuts can have nice icons, and they can be set to invoke the JVM on a Jar file, so this should work even if the OS doesn't have an associated program with Jar files.
Nam Ha Minh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 31, 2011
Posts: 498

Stephan van Hulst wrote:What's wrong with a shortcut? Shortcuts can have nice icons, and they can be set to invoke the JVM on a Jar file, so this should work even if the OS doesn't have an associated program with Jar files.


Well, the problem is, we want to deliver only a single executable for the client. There should be only one file to launch the program. Also, user doesn't have to extract a zipped file. The key point is we want to provide a way to start a program as simply as possible. Any other ideas?
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Couldn't find java executable wrapper for mac/linux
 
Similar Threads
Survey- What platform do you use to program in Java?
how to CRLF?
How keep window on top but use other windows?
Network analysis
Real Player for linux