my dog learned polymorphism*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Is it mandatory to take oracle hands on training before taking OCJP 1.6 Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Is it mandatory to take oracle hands on training before taking OCJP 1.6" Watch "Is it mandatory to take oracle hands on training before taking OCJP 1.6" New topic
Author

Is it mandatory to take oracle hands on training before taking OCJP 1.6

Aneesh Garg
Greenhorn

Joined: Apr 07, 2012
Posts: 5
Hello friends,
A strange thing happened today when i went to give SCJP 1.6 exam today.
I went to give my exam at an oracle authorized training center. The person there told me that it is necessary to take a 15-20 days oracle hands-on course before giving my exam otherwise i wont get oracle certificate even if i pass the exam.
is it true that we have to take hands on training course before giving SCJP exam.
When i searched on net I didn't find that information anywhere. What i found was that beginning October 1, 2011, Java Architect, Java Developer, Solaris System Administrator and Solaris Security Administrator certification path requirements will include a new mandatory course attendance requirement.
Please look at following link:
https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0588

I would really like to know that do I have to take this course even for SCJP.
Thanks
Aneesh Garg
Greenhorn

Joined: Apr 07, 2012
Posts: 5
I also found a conflicting statement at Course Submission Form Hand On Course.

Who should submit it?

All candidates pursuing an Oracle Certified Professional, Oracle Certified Master or Expert certification path, which requires training, who have attended the approved hands-on course.
Oceana Wickramasinghe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 77
What, i didnt even know anything about a hand on course, whats that?
Aneesh Garg
Greenhorn

Joined: Apr 07, 2012
Posts: 5
Even I got to know about it today when I went to give test today...
Please search on google about oracle hands on courses...
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 14, 2002
Posts: 8829
    
    5
I have to emphasize that I'm NOT sure, but I don't think you must take a class to get the OCP 6 certification:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:JSE6Prog

I also believe (but I'm NOT totally sure), that for the OCP 7 certification, the only requirements are to take 2 exams, OCA 7, and then OCP 7:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:JSE7Prog

If anyone has different info, please post it here!

Thanks,

Bert


Spot false dilemmas now, ask me how!
(If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room.)
Aneesh Garg
Greenhorn

Joined: Apr 07, 2012
Posts: 5
Bert Bates wrote:I have to emphasize that I'm NOT sure, but I don't think you must take a class to get the OCP 6 certification:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:JSE6Prog


I already looked at this link and there is nothing mentioned about hands-on course. But still that guy was asking me to do that course.



Bert Bates wrote:I also believe (but I'm NOT totally sure), that for the OCP 7 certification, the only requirements are to take 2 exams, OCA 7, and then OCP 7:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:JSE7Prog

If anyone has different info, please post it here!

Thanks,

Bert


Yes you should have either cleared OCA 7 or SCJP 6 or any such exam before giving OCP7.
thanks
Yalvin Duha
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 07, 2012
Posts: 40

According to Oracle, the hand-outs are designated for "developer" certifications, which includes the following:

  • Oracle Certified Master, Java SE 6 Developer
  • Oracle Certified Master, Java EE 5 Enterprise Architect
  • Oracle Application Server 10g Administrator: Certified Professional


  • http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=245


    I just registered to take the OCJP 6 in June, and I have two months to prepare. This very post I read freaked me out, so I had to look into it.
    Aneesh Garg
    Greenhorn

    Joined: Apr 07, 2012
    Posts: 5
    Yalvin Duha wrote:According to Oracle, the hand-outs are designated for "developer" certifications, which includes the following:

  • Oracle Certified Master, Java SE 6 Developer
  • Oracle Certified Master, Java EE 5 Enterprise Architect
  • Oracle Application Server 10g Administrator: Certified Professional


  • http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=245


    I just registered to take the OCJP 6 in June, and I have two months to prepare. This very post I read freaked me out, so I had to look into it.


    Sorry buddy to freak you out...I just wanted to inquire... Now I can go to that testing center and ask him what the hell is going on...
    Thanks and best of luck for your test.
     
    I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
     
    subject: Is it mandatory to take oracle hands on training before taking OCJP 1.6