File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Have anybody benefitted from SCJP/OCPJP Certifications? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Have anybody benefitted from SCJP/OCPJP Certifications?" Watch "Have anybody benefitted from SCJP/OCPJP Certifications?" New topic
Author

Have anybody benefitted from SCJP/OCPJP Certifications?

Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Have anybody benefitted from SCJP/OCPJP Certifications? will it be good in a long run having certified on older versions


http://www.lifesbizzare.blogspot.com || OCJP:81%
saloni jhanwar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 09, 2012
Posts: 583

Vishal Hegde wrote:Have anybody benefitted from SCJP/OCPJP Certifications? will it be good in a long run having certified on older versions


I really don't know but i think it can provide a platform to learn advanced java, when scjp has done it's job .


Tell the difficulties that i am difficult.
Helen Ma
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 01, 2011
Posts: 451
To my experience, some employers who are looking for Java developers are impressed if you earn the certification.
There are about hundreds of applicants for a Java developer position. Who the employer will choose? The one with the certification will be the top candidates.
Some companies even require candidates to take the exam.
Anayonkar Shivalkar
Bartender

Joined: Dec 08, 2010
Posts: 1456
    
    5

In my opinion, certification helps in initial stages - when candidate does not have any experience. At that point, certification shows that the candidate is ready to take efforts and is serious about that particular technology. Of course, certification is not alternative to interview, but it makes a good initial impression.

In long run, I do not think there is any point in asking a candidate with say 5 years of experience in Java that if he/she does have certifications like SCJP/OCPJP etc.

I hope this helps.


Regards,
Anayonkar Shivalkar (SCJP, SCWCD, OCMJD, OCEEJBD)
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

I did my Certification in 2011, but when I try to say the same thing to the Project Managers they are like stone cold face with no expressions.

They just keep on saying one thing like a Parrot "we need experienced people"
Helen Ma
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 01, 2011
Posts: 451
By the way, I am finding the time to study for the Java Developer exam. Once I pass it, should I take J2EE Architect exam?
I am serious about Java technology. My boss was impressed when I passed my OCJP.
John Jai
Bartender

Joined: May 31, 2011
Posts: 1776
I have no experience on J2EE. But to clear an Architect level exam, in my opinion you should first work and get good experience in JEE.

I normally see people complete the Web Component certification after clearing OCJP.

Good to know your boss got impressed
Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2008
Posts: 5575

Vishal Hegde wrote:when I try to say the same thing to the Project Managers they are like stone cold face with no expressions.

Proud of SCJP! at least you made them like that (just kidding dude)
Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2008
Posts: 5575

John Jai wrote: an Architect level exam, in my opinion you should first work and get good experience in JEE.

Agree
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18108
    
  39

Vishal Hegde wrote:I did my Certification in 2011, but when I try to say the same thing to the Project Managers they are like stone cold face with no expressions.

They just keep on saying one thing like a Parrot "we need experienced people"



Actually, you shouldn't think of it that way..... If you are a fresher, then your CV should show no experience. Yet, they called you in for an interview, just to tell you that "we need experience people".

I would argue that the certification did help. It got you an interview, when you didn't meet initial qualifications. The company took a chance that you may have strong knowledge, despite lack of experience, and granted you an interview..... it is likely that you didn't pass the interview, and the experience response was just the easiest explanation to give you.

Henry


Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Henry Wong wrote:
Vishal Hegde wrote:I did my Certification in 2011, but when I try to say the same thing to the Project Managers they are like stone cold face with no expressions.

They just keep on saying one thing like a Parrot "we need experienced people"



Actually, you shouldn't think of it that way..... If you are a fresher, then your CV should show no experience. Yet, they called you in for an interview, just to tell you that "we need experience people".

I would argue that the certification did help. It got you an interview, when you didn't meet initial qualifications. The company took a chance that you may have strong knowledge, despite lack of experience, and granted you an interview..... it is likely that you didn't pass the interview, and the experience response was just the easiest explanation to give you.

Henry



Dear Henry,

I am working as a System Engineer , I requested internally for a transfer.. they didnot ask me any technical question they just called me saying that they wanted to see me and she just took 5 minutes of her time simply saying that she needs experienced people.. I dont know whats going in their mind but i simply hate it when they show such kind of attitude why to call me for 5 minutes.I wasted my money, energy and time just to come that far to that head office.We are as if mere puppets for them

seriusly its wrong, I mean i only get news for experinecd programmer needed in my personal gtalk id and I dont know how my friends/Collegues comes to know about freshers requirement in some XYZ company and at times there are people who dont want to get into java are hired into that domain. I do have a fair knowledge , but its just that nobody is there to appreciate and nurture it.From my perspective I take pride that i Know programming but from other perspective they are like 'hmmm knows something about java so what'


why cant the recruitment activities be more flexible without making us wait in the Main room for hours and In the end just come to know that we are rejected wasting our energy and time...Why cant recruitment be innovated , be friendly and help us to maintain ones self-Confidence
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18108
    
  39

Vishal Hegde wrote:
I am working as a System Engineer , I requested internally for a transfer.. they didnot ask me any technical question they just called me saying that they wanted to see me and she just took 5 minutes of her time simply saying that she needs experienced people.. I dont know whats going in their mind but i simply hate it when they show such kind of attitude why to call me for 5 minutes.I wasted my money, energy and time just to come that far to that head office.We are as if mere puppets for them

seriusly its wrong, I mean i only get news for experinecd programmer needed in my personal gtalk id and I dont know how my friends/Collegues comes to know about freshers requirement in some XYZ company and at times there are people who dont want to get into java are hired into that domain. I do have a fair knowledge , but its just that nobody is there to appreciate and nurture it.From my perspective I take pride that i Know programming but from other perspective they are like 'hmmm knows something about java so what'


why cant the recruitment activities be more flexible without making us wait in the Main room for hours and In the end just come to know that we are rejected wasting our energy and time...Why cant recruitment be innovated , be friendly and help us to maintain ones self-Confidence



Well, regarding the original question, yes, there will be cases that the certification won't be useful -- that doesn't make the certification useless though. To followup to this post...

Is what you are describing a one time incident? Or happens frequently? If it happens frequently, I would be very concerned. Internal transfers are based on reputation within the company -- and it may be an indication that you don't have a good one internally.

Henry
James Boswell
Bartender

Joined: Nov 09, 2011
Posts: 973
    
    5

I was once offered a job based mainly on the fact that I had the SCJP certification.

The employer reckoned that this certification gives a better foundation for understanding core Java as opposed to subsequent certifications. I'm certain he would not be the only one thinking this.
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Henry Wong wrote:


Well, regarding the original question, yes, there will be cases that the certification won't be useful -- that doesn't make the certification useless though. To followup to this post...

Is what you are describing a one time incident? Or happens frequently? If it happens frequently, I would be very concerned. Internal transfers are based on reputation within the company -- and it may be an indication that you don't have a good one internally.

Henry


It happend once..but even one of those kind of experience is kind of disheartening as you spend time and energy to get nothing.

Also I attended a Walk-In interview for Oracle I cleared the aptitude and the technical round(which lasted almost for hours).But the Lack Of Confidence that was seen on my face because of the cross -questioning on technical questions was the biggest hindernce for me .Despite of my Maximum answers being correct, they didn't even second considered me despite in my resume it was written Oracle Certified Java Programmer.If i was selected I would have developed that sence of Confidence automatically... but they want to see the same thing in the interview too
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18108
    
  39

Vishal Hegde wrote:It happend once..but even one of those kind of experience is kind of disheartening as you spend time and energy to get nothing.

Also I attended a Walk-In interview for Oracle I cleared the aptitude and the technical round(which lasted almost for hours).But the Lack Of Confidence that was seen on my face because of the cross -questioning on technical questions was the biggest hindernce for me .Despite of my Maximum answers being correct, they didn't even second considered me despite in my resume it was written Oracle Certified Java Programmer.If i was selected I would have developed that sence of Confidence automatically... but they want to see the same thing in the interview too



This part is completely understandable. The purpose of the interview is to confirm what's on the resume -- so if someone say they are certified, they better be able to defend it. The certification may help you get the interview -- but you better be able to defend it during the interview. Or it may actually hurt you.

Henry
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Have anybody benefitted from SCJP/OCPJP Certifications?
 
Similar Threads
Kindly Guide For OCPJP (formerly Scjp)
Jobs for ocpjp
SCJP or OCPJP
Cleared OCPJP/SCJP.
OCPJP 7?