aspose file tools*
The moose likes JForum and the fly likes License Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Products » JForum
Bookmark "License" Watch "License" New topic
Author

License

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Rafael, why BSD, not GPL?
[originally posted on jforum.net by Daniil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Because GPL completely sucks ;)

Many people don't use your software when it is GPL.
Moreover, I don't like Richard Stallmann at all.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Why not dual license then?
[originally posted on jforum.net by Daniil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Using GPL? not at all.

Why GPL? Using a non-gpl license, you can use the software wherever you want. Using GPL, you "contaminate" your software.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Rafael Steil wrote:Why GPL?

To make sure it'll always be GPL

Rafael Steil wrote:Using a non-gpl license, you can use the software wherever you want.

Except mixing it with GPL code, I think (wrong?)
[originally posted on jforum.net by Daniil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Well, that's not an option, anyway. I make a rendering view for JSP but don't make JForum GPL

When I released my first open source project, http://libcgi.sourceforge.net, many people said ".. your project is cool, but I can't use it on my company because it is GPL... ". So I changed the license.

I want people to use my software, make money from it or anything else. People use GPL when they want to protected himselfs againts bad use of his software. I mean, they use gpl when they want to make sure that other people will not embed the soft in something comercial and sell it without gaving the contribution back to the author, or worst, opening the entire source code.

Of course this doesn't prevent that someone do it anyway...

But, if we think in this approach, I guess that a much better license is one that says ".. and you can use this software for non-comercial purposes.. If you want to use it to make money or anything else non-academic, you should pay.. ".

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Rafael Steil wrote:Well, that's not an option, anyway. I make a rendering view for JSP but don't make JForum GPL

Didn't understand that one. What JSP?

The question is: can I use JForum in GPL software? If not - well, no big deal, I'm not losing my interest in it just because it's not GPL
[originally posted on jforum.net by Daniil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Daniil wrote:
Rafael Steil wrote:Well, that's not an option, anyway. I make a rendering view for JSP but don't make JForum GPL

Didn't understand that one. What JSP?


Java Server Pages ;)

Daniil wrote:
The question is: can I use JForum in GPL software? If not - well, no big deal, I'm not losing my interest in it just because it's not GPL


yessss, sure you can. This is the nice thing about non-gpl licenses: you can use a software that is not gpl in your gpl software. The inverse is a much more complicated.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Rafael Steil wrote:
Daniil wrote:
Rafael Steil wrote:Well, that's not an option, anyway. I make a rendering view for JSP but don't make JForum GPL

Didn't understand that one. What JSP?

Java Server Pages ;)

What rendering view? (Sorry, I can't just get the point :-\)
Rafael Steil wrote:
Daniil wrote:
The question is: can I use JForum in GPL software? If not - well, no big deal, I'm not losing my interest in it just because it's not GPL


yessss, sure you can. This is the nice thing about non-gpl licenses: you can use a software that is not gpl in your gpl software.

So effectively JForum is already dual-license? I mean I could just get it and change one line and rerelease it under GPL? But wait, I can't do that since I'm obliged to include "the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer." (from your source files). The nice thing about GPL is that (providing that licensee's not criminal like KISS technology or someone else ) instead of providing author with a banner of fame, it provides the world with more free software since modifications are always GPL That's the way I see it.
[originally posted on jforum.net by Daniil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Daniil wrote:So effectively JForum is already dual-license? I mean I could just get it and change one line and rerelease it under GPL?


No, it is not dual. It only means that you can include my bsd code in your gpl code without any "'legal" problem.

Daniil wrote:
But wait, I can't do that since I'm obliged to include "the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer."


And only that. BSD says that you can do anything with the code, as long you give credits to the original author. Is very reasonable.

Daniil wrote:The nice thing about GPL is that (providing that licensee's not criminal like KISS technology or someone else ) instead of providing author with a banner of fame, it provides the world with more free software since modifications are always GPL That's the way I see it.


Aka, viral license. If I have a comercial system and want to use your GPL code, I have a problem, since GPL says that I must release it under GPL as well. Commercially it much harder to fit GPL.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Happy May Day ^_^
[originally posted on jforum.net by totodo]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
In the site, there is a indication that jforum is in BSD License.
But in the source codes not.
Why? In the source codes, there isn't any indication that the license is BSD.
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Look at below. The lines don't mention the BSD license.

/*
* Copyright (c) 2003, Rafael Steil
* All rights reserved.
*
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms,
* with or without modification, are permitted provided
* that the following conditions are met:
*
* 1) Redistributions of source code must retain the above
* copyright notice, this list of conditions and the
* following disclaimer.
* 2) Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the
* above copyright notice, this list of conditions and
* the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or
* other materials provided with the distribution.
* 3) Neither the name of "Rafael Steil" nor
* the names of its contributors may be used to endorse
* or promote products derived from this software without
* specific prior written permission.
*
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT
* HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY
* EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING,
* BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
* MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
* PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
* THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
* FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
* EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
* (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
* SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA,
* OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
* CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER
* IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
* (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN
* ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
* ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE
*
* This file creating date: Feb 17, 2003 / 10:47:29 PM
* The JForum Project
* http://www.jforum.net
*/
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
It does not mention "THIS IS A BSD LICENSE", but it's the one itself . The important thing is that the rules of use are there. The name of the license, in my opinion, is not relevant.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Ohhh,
sorry by the question.
I found the bsd lincense.
This text in your source files is the BSD license.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php


What I should do when I change your source files?
How can I show the diferences of your code and the changes that i realized?
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
It sure does. Every single .java file has the BSD license.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Anonymous wrote:
What I should do when I change your source files?


Related to what? If you want to make chages specific to your environment, you're free to do. If you want to contribute code to JForum..well, just send the diff


How can I show the diferences of your code and the changes that i realized?


You can use a diff tool, like WinMerge and "diff", in unix like machines.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
I once asked the Gaim guys why they didn't use openssl, and they told me they couldn't since gaim is gpl and openssl is bsd.

So i really don't know what license should i use, since i don't know if it's legal for bsd products to use gpl products (what happens if a propietary company wants to use a bsd product that uses gpl products), neither i know if it's legal to use bsd code in gpl (due to the advertising clause in bsd and other incompatibilities.


[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Related to what? If you want to make chages specific to your environment, you're free to do. If you want to contribute code to JForum..well, just send the diff

Supose that I want to create another forum tool based on JForum. I will change some classes. What I should do in this classes, relative to the license text, to indicate my changes?
I need to indicate the changes in each file? Or I need to create a readme file and put the changes in this file?
I alread read the BSD License, but this cases aren't mencioned.
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Anonymous wrote:I once asked the Gaim guys why they didn't use openssl, and they told me they couldn't since gaim is gpl and openssl is bsd.

So i really don't know what license should i use, since i don't know if it's legal for bsd products to use gpl products (what happens if a propietary company wants to use a bsd product that uses gpl products), neither i know if it's legal to use bsd code in gpl (due to the advertising clause in bsd and other incompatibilities.



That's not true. GPL programs can use BSD stuff. The opposite is not valid, though.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Anonymous wrote:
Supose that I want to create another forum tool based on JForum. I will change some classes. What I should do in this classes, relative to the license text, to indicate my changes?
I need to indicate the changes in each file? Or I need to create a readme file and put the changes in this file?
I alread read the BSD License, but this cases aren't mencioned.
'

You don't need to indicate your changes, just put something like "this program uses code from the JForum Project", and a link to the project's website. You may want also to put a copy of the BSD license into a separated text file.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Do I need a commercial license of MySQL to use with JForum?

This is the text I found on the MySQL site:
"If you include the MySQL server with an application that is not licensed under the GPL or GPL-compatible license, you need a commercial license for the MySQL server."

[originally posted on jforum.net by Didas]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
JForum does not include MySQL server, so you won't have any problems.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Does this have any relevance?
"If you include one or more of the MySQL drivers in your non-GPL application (so that your application can run with MySQL), you need a commercial license for the driver(s) in question. The MySQL drivers currently include an ODBC driver, a JDBC driver and the C language library."

Sorry, just want to make sure everything is legit and we are not violating any policies.
[originally posted on jforum.net by Didas]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Yes, this is valid for the driver. But, in fact, who cares? The license says that if I include the driver, I should buy a comercial one. I see this way: JForum is open source, and of course I'll not buy a connector/j's license.
However, if you're afraid, you always can buy a license. I put it in the package for convenience.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Didas wrote:Do I need a commercial license of MySQL to use with JForum?

This is the text I found on the MySQL site:
"If you include the MySQL server with an application that is not licensed under the GPL or GPL-compatible license, you need a commercial license for the MySQL server."

The original BSD license isn't GPL-compatible license.
But JForum is under a modified BSD license which is a GPL-compatible license. That means if you use JForum, you don't need to buy the commerical license for MySQL.

Moreover, hosting companies normally provides MySQL database for shared hosting with the commerical license paid for.

JForum also works with PostgreSQL.

--james yong
[originally posted on jforum.net by jamesyong]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Didas wrote:Does this have any relevance?
"If you include one or more of the MySQL drivers in your non-GPL application (so that your application can run with MySQL), you need a commercial license for the driver(s) in question. The MySQL drivers currently include an ODBC driver, a JDBC driver and the C language library."

Sorry, just want to make sure everything is legit and we are not violating any policies.

JForum is under a GPL-compatible license, hence the above statement doesn't apply.

--james yong
[originally posted on jforum.net by jamesyong]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Rafael Steil wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Supose that I want to create another forum tool based on JForum. I will change some classes. What I should do in this classes, relative to the license text, to indicate my changes?
I need to indicate the changes in each file? Or I need to create a readme file and put the changes in this file?
I alread read the BSD License, but this cases aren't mencioned.
'

You don't need to indicate your changes, just put something like "this program uses code from the JForum Project", and a link to the project's website. You may want also to put a copy of the BSD license into a separated text file.

Rafael


Thank you for a true open source software!!!
I can't say the same thing about another competing java-based forum that on the website claims to be free and licensed under GPL, period. But when you download the source code you find a little txt file that adds some "minor" restrictions...
[originally posted on jforum.net by mrovi]
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: License