aspose file tools*
The moose likes JForum and the fly likes Attachments and Notifications Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Products » JForum
Bookmark "Attachments and Notifications" Watch "Attachments and Notifications" New topic
Author

Attachments and Notifications

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
I have installed jForum clean on my webserver, and enabled notifications and attachments.

No attachment button shows up, nor do I get notified of replies.

What can I do to figure out why? What are prerequisites, if any, for attachments? notifications?
[originally posted on jforum.net by ed4becky]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
For attachment to work, you still need to set Quota Limit at
Admin Control Panel->Attachment->Quota Limit->then create the size limt & assign user group to the limit.

Notification ->Admin Control Panel->Configuration->Mail->Send an email to notify users when a topic reply is post->have you set it to true?
& Enable the Watch option for the Topic you want to monitor (Jforum ver2.15).
[originally posted on jforum.net by munhin]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
munhin wrote:For attachment to work, you still need to set Quota Limit at
Admin Control Panel->Attachment->Quota Limit->then create the size limt & assign user group to the limit.


I had not done that, but after doing that, I still do not see an attachment button

munhin wrote:Notification ->Admin Control Panel->Configuration->Mail->Send an email to notify users when a topic reply is post->have you set it to true?
& Enable the Watch option for the Topic you want to monitor (Jforum ver2.15).


That I had already done, but no email, and I cannot find an error message indicating it tried to send one and failed.
[originally posted on jforum.net by ed4becky]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
I supposed you enable the attachment option in
Admin Control Panel->Groups->Permissions->Attachments->then select the appropiate Categories.
Just ensure that the group that the user is in, is set to view the correct Categories. I'm not sure what else to look at, if all this is done.

For email, is the smtp server working already?
[originally posted on jforum.net by munhin]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
munhin wrote:I supposed you enable the attachment option in
Admin Control Panel->Groups->Permissions->Attachments->then select the appropiate Categories.
Just ensure that the group that the user is in, is set to view the correct Categories. I'm not sure what else to look at, if all this is done.

For email, is the smtp server working already?




Yes, but I won't swear I have all configured correctly. I see no trace anywhere that shows jforum attempting to access the smtp server though.
[originally posted on jforum.net by ed4becky]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
On ver.2.15, there is a mail test option in the Admin Control panel.
Alternatively, if you enabled 'Requires user to authenticate email', and when new users register, they should receive an 'activate account' email.
[originally posted on jforum.net by munhin]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
ed4becky wrote:

No attachment button shows up,


Go to Admin Panel -> Groups -> Permissions, and set the options from the "Attachments" section

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Rafael Steil wrote:
ed4becky wrote:

No attachment button shows up,


Go to Admin Panel -> Groups -> Permissions, and set the options from the "Attachments" section

Rafael


I have that set to 'Allow All'
[originally posted on jforum.net by ed4becky]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
I've got the same problem with attachments and notifications, I've done all you posted in this topic, but no attachment button appears and no mail is sent (I think that mailing problem is due to the smtp configurations, how do you configure it?)

any idea?
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
ed4becky, just to make sure the proper permissions are stored in the database, click "Save" in the page - that will force a refresh.

Anonymous, email configurations are located at Admin Panel -> Configurations

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
ya, I know it, I was trying configuring the email in that section but it doesn't work. I've done what you've written for ed4becky and stored it but it makes no difference, "Attach files" doesn't appear
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
a silly question, what are "extenisions groups" and "extensions" used for?
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 17424
Anonymous wrote:a silly question, what are "extenisions groups" and "extensions" used for?


Take a look here:

http://www.jforum.net/confluence/display/configuration/extensions

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
 
Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
 
subject: Attachments and Notifications
 
Similar Threads
How to configure max post size?
Java Mail
over 100,000 visits to The Big Moose Saloon yesterday
automatic display of the java list on mouseover an image
Adding a css template to java mail