aspose file tools*
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes Getting experience as a Java Developer/Software Engineer Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "Getting experience as a Java Developer/Software Engineer" Watch "Getting experience as a Java Developer/Software Engineer" New topic
Author

Getting experience as a Java Developer/Software Engineer

Yohan Weerasinghe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 499

Hey all,

I really need your help in this. You know when we apply for a company as a Software Engineer / Junior Software Engineer / Java Developer etc, they ask for experience. So this is my question to you.

If you haven't worked in a company before, how can you get these experience? Are there are any online projects you can involve? How can you get worth experience? I am ready to involve in any Java project for a very reasonable price to get the experience. I really need your hand here. Please help me.


Are you better than me? Then please show me my mistakes..
Yohan Weerasinghe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 499

Any help here please?
Rob Spoor
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 27, 2005
Posts: 19696
    
  20

You've been around long enough to know that PatienceIsAVirtue.


SCJP 1.4 - SCJP 6 - SCWCD 5 - OCEEJBD 6
How To Ask Questions How To Answer Questions
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18845
    
  40

Yohan Weerasinghe wrote:Hey all,

I really need your help in this. You know when we apply for a company as a Software Engineer / Junior Software Engineer / Java Developer etc, they ask for experience. So this is my question to you.

If you haven't worked in a company before, how can you get these experience? Are there are any online projects you can involve? How can you get worth experience? I am ready to involve in any Java project for a very reasonable price to get the experience. I really need your hand here. Please help me.


If you already graduated university, it is probably too late -- if not, I would highly recommend taking advantage of any internships provided via partnerships with your school. That's the best way to get experience, IMO.

Henry


Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
Yohan Weerasinghe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 499

Rob Spoor wrote:You've been around long enough to know that PatienceIsAVirtue.


OK, sorry for the mistake Rob
Yohan Weerasinghe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 499

Henry Wong wrote:
Yohan Weerasinghe wrote:Hey all,

I really need your help in this. You know when we apply for a company as a Software Engineer / Junior Software Engineer / Java Developer etc, they ask for experience. So this is my question to you.

If you haven't worked in a company before, how can you get these experience? Are there are any online projects you can involve? How can you get worth experience? I am ready to involve in any Java project for a very reasonable price to get the experience. I really need your hand here. Please help me.


If you already graduated university, it is probably too late -- if not, I would highly recommend taking advantage of any internships provided via partnerships with your school. That's the best way to get experience, IMO.

Henry


Thanks for the reply Henry, I really appreciate it. Yes, I have finished graduation. Anyway, I believe this world has lot of doors, and we just need to find them.

Anyone with comment/reply is gladly welcome
Jay Orsaw
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 356

1. Get an internship
2. Be able to find a job that doesn't really need that much experience and work your way up the chain.
3. Certifications are a good indication of experience as well.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61224
    
  66

Jay Orsaw wrote:
3. Certifications are a good indication of experience as well.

I'll strongly disagree with this point. Certifications have nothing at all to do with experience.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Jay Orsaw
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 356

Bear Bibeault wrote:
Jay Orsaw wrote:
3. Certifications are a good indication of experience as well.

I'll strongly disagree with this point. Certifications have nothing at all to do with experience.


Well, the only reason I suggested certifications is that if you have passed your certification and there are specific topics about your certification, you can tell what the person knows based on the certification, but yes not always.... For example if you passed a certification on SQL and Database management you obviously should know something about DB's, same if you took an internship on DB's.


However the same could be said for the other things. If you have an internship and you do DB management doesn't mean you actually know anything about DB's, or how much you know about, same with the certification.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61224
    
  66

Which still doesn't make certifications have anything at all to do with experience.

I'm not saying the certifications aren't worth anything (though, in US markets they seem to have little value), but they have nothing at all to do with experience.
Yohan Weerasinghe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 499

Jay Orsaw wrote:1. Get an internship
2. Be able to find a job that doesn't really need that much experience and work your way up the chain.
3. Certifications are a good indication of experience as well.


Thanks a lot for the reply Jay


As I mentioned before, I am have already graduated. So, how to get an intern?


Yohan Weerasinghe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 499

Bear Bibeault wrote:Which still doesn't make certifications have anything at all to do with experience.

I'm not saying the certifications aren't worth anything (though, in US markets they seem to have little value), but they have nothing at all to do with experience.


Well; errrrr, Ya, I agree. I know lot of people with this and that certificate, but they are just good for theories. I am glad to say I have learn Java for 2 years, and created lot of programs from the very beginning.

Self Learning and getting help from others who are better than you is the biggest way to get experience I guess. Unfortunately, no one can prove it to someone else, that who know nothing about you
Jay Orsaw
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 356

Yohan Weerasinghe wrote:
Jay Orsaw wrote:1. Get an internship
2. Be able to find a job that doesn't really need that much experience and work your way up the chain.
3. Certifications are a good indication of experience as well.


Thanks a lot for the reply Jay


As I mentioned before, I am have already graduated. So, how to get an intern?




I'm not really sure if interning only happens during the school process, you might be able to find some elsewhere(Idk though, good luck).

As you said self learning and prep is huge, but again you never know what someone knows unless you make something. If you actually had a program that you made to show your experience it would help greatly I would assume... Unless jobs are still all about "that piece of paper" that we get from apparently learning something at "school."
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18845
    
  40

Yohan Weerasinghe wrote:
Henry Wong wrote:
If you already graduated university, it is probably too late -- if not, I would highly recommend taking advantage of any internships provided via partnerships with your school. That's the best way to get experience, IMO.

Henry


Thanks for the reply Henry, I really appreciate it. Yes, I have finished graduation. Anyway, I believe this world has lot of doors, and we just need to find them.

Anyone with comment/reply is gladly welcome



Oops, apologies. In rereading the post, it does come off as "if you didn't partake in your university internship program, it is too late to get a job". What I meant was "if you already graduated, it is probably too late to use your university internship program". Minor wording vagueness, that seemed to have come off as insensitive -- sorry.

Henry

Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18845
    
  40

Jay Orsaw wrote:
I'm not really sure if interning only happens during the school process, you might be able to find some elsewhere(Idk though, good luck).


True.... however, the point here is not the internship, but the university intership program. Universities have established programs, along with many partnerships with companies (likely working with alumni), to get these internship for their students. The student just needs to apply, and get the full might of the program to assist in getting the internship.

Searching for an internship by yourself, is really no different that searching for a job by yourself.

Henry
Yohan Weerasinghe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 499

Jay Orsaw wrote:
Yohan Weerasinghe wrote:
Jay Orsaw wrote:1. Get an internship
2. Be able to find a job that doesn't really need that much experience and work your way up the chain.
3. Certifications are a good indication of experience as well.


Thanks a lot for the reply Jay


As I mentioned before, I am have already graduated. So, how to get an intern?




I'm not really sure if interning only happens during the school process, you might be able to find some elsewhere(Idk though, good luck).

As you said self learning and prep is huge, but again you never know what someone knows unless you make something. If you actually had a program that you made to show your experience it would help greatly I would assume... Unless jobs are still all about "that piece of paper" that we get from apparently learning something at "school."


Actually not one, I have 10, with the one I am creating now, it will be 11
Yohan Weerasinghe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 499

Henry Wong wrote:
Yohan Weerasinghe wrote:
Henry Wong wrote:
If you already graduated university, it is probably too late -- if not, I would highly recommend taking advantage of any internships provided via partnerships with your school. That's the best way to get experience, IMO.

Henry


Thanks for the reply Henry, I really appreciate it. Yes, I have finished graduation. Anyway, I believe this world has lot of doors, and we just need to find them.

Anyone with comment/reply is gladly welcome



Oops, apologies. In rereading the post, it does come off as "if you didn't partake in your university internship program, it is too late to get a job". What I meant was "if you already graduated, it is probably too late to use your university internship program". Minor wording vagueness, that seemed to have come off as insensitive -- sorry.

Henry



oh no, it is OK Henry. No hard feelings
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 30537
    
150

Yohan Weerasinghe,
Your post was moved to a new topic.
this is a new topic and deserves a new thread - splitting


[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
 
Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
 
subject: Getting experience as a Java Developer/Software Engineer