I am gonna tell you a weird story. Get ready to it first.
I am 22 years old, having a higher diploma in software engineering. Currently in final year of BSc software development (got exemptions and came to the final year because of the higher diploma). I passed the diploma with the best score, and best reputation. I am not a theory guy, my software are all around the internet. And, I created most of them by self learning new technologies. Now, this is the case.
I have applied to jobs (just to earn something for my daily needs). Since I realized that it is hard to get a job in software field without a degree, I appied to other positions I like too. I got calls from some, and some didn’t call. However, I gave up the following jobs, because I can’t make them fit with my studies.
1. Bank Job – I rejected this because they transferred me unexpectedly to a remote area after giving the job. And they told I can’t come back for 2 years and I must do banking degrees , and they monitor them. I can’t do this, because I was doing my diploma at this time, and I had to stop it if I am gonna do this. This is long time ago.
2. Call center – This is 12 hour shift job. No one knows whether shift is in morning or evening until they call. Must be available on Sunday too. Can’t do. This is long time ago.
3. Programmer – I didn’t get this one, but called for the second interview. Didn’t like the work place and its culture, so I rejected. The case is, there are no “Sir”, “Madam” or at least “Mr”,”Mrs” and “Ms”. They got “bro”, “sis” and the manager is “big bro”. One is on manager’s table taking private calls while manager is sitting next to him. Others are on Facebook. I realized they are not programmers but perfect drag and drop IDE users.
4. Coordinator – This is not just coordinator, had another title. Nice workplace, nice people and everything are fine. Related to computer field. They offer me the executive post after looking at the qualifications. But, there was a big problem. It is a 10 hours per day job, which means 8am to 7PM. It takes two hours for me to travel, so I will be at home at 9 – 10 PM. Saturday also working day (They call it half day, but it has 8 hours). My parents told me not to go to this; I also had the same feeling, because my education comes first. With this much of long time work, I can’t do it properly. (For your information, I am not looking for the BSc letters, I am looking for the knowledge behind it, and I need to be a TRUE programmer so I need enough time).
Now you see the issue. When I find a job, it is not suitable. When I stay without one, it is also a problem.
Some my neighbors are the people who are having the PAIN about this. One is telling “oh! You have no job yet? Still doing the degree? My daughter is in the Bank”. I have heard this more than enough. I want that idiot to remember why her daughter chose the Bank. She told the whole city that she is gonna get into government university and did Math, after AL, results came FAILED. Then did Java telling she is gonna get paid a lot. Did for a while and stopped it saying it is the hardest in the world. Then, jumped to the bank…
One of my relations also having a very big pain. When her daughter was doing the degree, she always told, “do a degreeeeeeee”. When her daughter failed it, now she is telling, “is he still doing the degree? No job? Ask him to get a job..Degrees are just useless”. Next time I hit he for sure because this is the only title she got to discuss when she see us.
I am receiving pressure from everywhere. Parents are telling me to find a one which can go with the degree and I am also doing it. When I am selected to one, I can’t get it because however it disturbs to my studies. I couldn’t find one which will not disturb to my studies ( I am looking for 8 hours per day with Saturday half day and Sunday off. It is the normal WORK WEEK here. Or even less). My lecturers are asking me to do the final year. People are looking at me, especially those I mentioned. If I reject a job which I got via a job agency, they call and press me to get it, until I blame them.
I am in a deep stress now. I self studied some other languages and I gave up all of them because I have no mood. My morning starts with “Search and apply quickly” words. Rest of the day goes with talking of this job that job, previous jobs, etc. Now I am looking for a lecturer job (I have lectured last year). And I am looking for jobs which fit to the time period.
If I ever knew doing a degree is the road to all of these stupidities, I never do it. It feels like I am on a fire ball called DEGREE!. This final year has another damn 12 months. I am with this pressure. After that, I will never learn, I am enough of this. Sometimes I feel whether no one understand the value of education, or sometimes I doubt whether education really got any value. It becomes really hard when you are studying yet and the only word you hear is job, job, job job, job.
For more info, getting first class upper in degree is not an issue to me.
I got 4 options.
1. Drop the degree > get the Job
2. get the Degree > Drop the Job
3. Find a job which can go with the degree
4. Run from everything
Now, if you have any word for me, it is your chance
You seem to be a smart person and also you said you have some applications online that you made so you probably have some experience as well. In this case why don't you try some freelancing websites like rentacoder or freelancer.com? You will be making minimum at first until you build up some rep there but after 3-4 projects you will be able to ask as much as you feel you have to get to work on a certain project.
Just think of the benefits:
-no program from 9 to 7;
-payment can even get 2-3 times the normal salary if you get very good fast;
-you have a lot of time to get a degree and another, and another if you want.
Also, please ignore what people like that daughter you mentioned or other people that do not actually understand your situation. When people see they can't get to far or failed to do so, they will drag as many others as they can with them, in this case you. You do not owe nothing to her or the others, it is your life and you will do what you think is right. Period.
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
Thanks a lot for all of your replies. I joined freelancer.com and applied for form filling stuff. Went through the Java projects, but most of the projects are about Audio/Video/Face Recongnition, which I don't know.
However, I really expect more replies. Please all, reply.
Joshua William wrote:Thanks a lot for all of your replies. I joined freelancer.com and applied for form filling stuff. Went through the Java projects, but most of the projects are about Audio/Video/Face Recongnition, which I don't know.
However, I really expect more replies. Please all, reply.
I wouldn't do those if I were you. Try googling for other websites similar to freelancer.com and see what jobs there are there too. Also, if you see that almost all jobs ask for a specific thing, like in your case, then try to find some materials to learn how to do those. Bottom line on these websites is to always try to get only programming related stuff, things that you find interesting and will actually help your programming career.
The last job I got was a way to earn thousands. And the good manager called me and asked why I can't come. I explained and he was happy about being honest. He asked me to call him when I finish my studies.
However I am really happy about this victory (I rejected the job, but I got selected). I have fought with hundreds of degree,masters degree,PHD and Diploma holders in the interview, and selected to it without even a second interview. It told my self, "You are great!". I WAS telling my self "You are an idiot" before this because of those rude people I mentioned above.. Now I know I am better than I thought! I should better self appreciate me than this.
I am not applying for such full times jobs now. People sometimes say it is possible to do a degree as a PART TIME thing. Yes, it might be, but without researches like I do. Now I am building up a program to identify people who enter into my room (Face Recognition). And to be honest, from my childhood to now, I am not a person who can do number of stressful things at once (My girlfriend is doing 6 degrees at once! I can't do it!)
Dear all, doing researches like I do is good? I am in this good place because I did self researches anyway. After the degree, my 100% concern will be given to the job. No more researches, no more studies. Thats my plan. What you all think about it?
I really appreciate all of your help and support and I appreciate if you can exchange ideas with me further more. Your words relaxed my mind
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
Bear Bibeault wrote:Don't be an idiot: get the degree.
I know you are a experienced person. Glad you replied here. I believe you will reply again, specially quoting the post above this.