This week's book giveaway is in the Java 8 forum.
We're giving away four copies of Java 8 in Action and have Raoul-Gabriel Urma, Mario Fusco, and Alan Mycroft on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Associate Certification (OCAJP 7) and the fly likes Java exams Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Associate Certification (OCAJP 7)
Bookmark "Java exams" Watch "Java exams" New topic
Author

Java exams

Shamsudeen Akanbi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 24, 2010
Posts: 70
Hi ranchers, what is the very first exam to be taken, with oracle in it now. A prometric training center was explaining that i'll first take the OCA part1 then part2 before the OCP... I just want to know which one's first currently. Thanks in advance!
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Joined: Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 7081
    
  16

Shamsudeen Akanbi wrote:Hi ranchers, what is the very first exam to be taken, with oracle in it now. A prometric training center was explaining that i'll first take the OCA part1 then part2 before the OCP... I just want to know which one's first currently. Thanks in advance!

I hate to say, but now that Oracle have turned it into a money-churner I've lost interest. Fact is, you now need to take at least one (but maybe two now, if what you say is right) of their tutored courses before you can take an exam that you used to be able to take for the exam fee alone (and furthermore, had a year to prepare for after you paid your dues).

Probably their way of getting out of the whole 'testing' business altogether I expect; but I'm an old cynic.

Great way to turn something that used to cost $300 into something that costs £3,000 though.

Winston


Isn't it funny how there's always time and money enough to do it WRONG?
Artlicles by Winston can be found here
Junilu Lacar
Bartender

Joined: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4419
    
    5

Winston Gutkowski wrote:I'm an old cynic.

Great way to turn something that used to cost $300 into something that costs £3,000 though.

Wow, I remember the last SCJP I got from Sun was the 4-hour update trial that they gave for free (or practically free? I forget) for folks willing to sit for that long. That was years ago. I paid $250 for the SCJD exam but never had time to actually finish it. After a while I just wrote it off. I'm cynical about exams. I know many good developers who don't have a certificate to their name and many bad developers with tons of certs.


Junilu - [How to Ask Questions] [How to Answer Questions]
Rameshwar Soni
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 03, 2011
Posts: 247
Junilu Lacar wrote: I know many good developers who don't have a certificate to their name and many bad developers with tons of certs.


But do you think this is what the companies or interviewers think?
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 29275
    
140

The OCAJP is the first exam. Then comes the OCPJP which is what the SCJP used to be. Total cost is $600 ($300 each).

The part about a course only applies to exams with a hands on component - not the entry level cert.


[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Junilu Lacar
Bartender

Joined: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4419
    
    5

Rameshwar Soni wrote:But do you think this is what the companies or interviewers think?

I would definitely steer myself away from companies or interviewers who put a lot of stock in certificates. If anything, good screeners should be skeptical when they see tons of certificates. I know I always am. The people I have hired in the past few years who have worked out well for our teams did not have multiple certifications. In fact, I doubt they had anything more than an SCJP, if that. I can't really say for sure; that shows you how much I actually care about certifications.

Mind you, that's just me. I have been lucky enough so far in my career to be generally in a position to choose the company I work for. There's nothing wrong with a certificate that you can list on your resume to increase your chances of getting an interview. However, once you get the interview, it's better to demonstrate your ability and competence in other ways.
Rameshwar Soni
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 03, 2011
Posts: 247
Junilu Lacar wrote:
I would definitely steer myself away from companies or interviewers who put a lot of stock in certificates.


That's true only if one has an experience of about 2-5 years under his/her belt, but if one is a fresher(like me) its very hard to steer away from such companies because there are very less other options available. SO MUCH COMPETITION MAN !!!

Junilu Lacar wrote: The people I have hired in the past few years who have worked out well for our teams did not have multiple certifications. In fact, I doubt they had anything more than an SCJP, if that.


Agree, since practice is more important than certification.

Junilu Lacar wrote: There's nothing wrong with a certificate that you can list on your resume to increase your chances of getting an interview. However, once you get the interview, it's better to demonstrate your ability and competence in other ways.


Agree
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 29275
    
140

Also, if you take a cert, you are expected to know what is on the cert. I don't have much patience from "SCJP" certified folks that don't know conceptually how Java works at the interview.
Cathal Mullan
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 20, 2011
Posts: 118
I have my Programmer & Master Developer Certs.

I was going to become a certified Architect but not now as a result of these changes which I believe are solely to benefit Oracle financially.

I have stopped using Java now & have also stopped using MySQL as Oracle own it now too
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Java exams
 
Similar Threads
A style question...
how to draw ?
What?!Lets make love like there's no tomorrow......
WA #1.....word association
Prerequisite for SCWCD1.4