File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Java in General and the fly likes Getting - Finding English Alphabets in Java using Java API (Inbuilt or Third Party) Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Java in General
Bookmark "Getting - Finding English Alphabets in Java using Java API (Inbuilt or Third Party)" Watch "Getting - Finding English Alphabets in Java using Java API (Inbuilt or Third Party)" New topic
Author

Getting - Finding English Alphabets in Java using Java API (Inbuilt or Third Party)

Azrael Noor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 29, 2010
Posts: 382
Which API supports facility of getting English Alphabets (a, m , g etc)?

There are common examples given online









BUt is there any CLASS or API help to do so? like LANGUAGE.7THLETTER


Regards
Azrael Noor
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Joined: Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 7801
    
  21

Azrael Noor wrote:Which API supports facility of getting English Alphabets (a, m , g etc)?

None that I know of; and I'm not quite sure what it would be useful for except possibly for validating information from a known language.

The "English" alphabet isn't unique to English. Accented letters aside (and English contains many French words like 'blasé', which should, theoretically, be accented), it's used by the French, Italian, Welsh, Gaelic and Dutch and, with only a few additions: German, Spanish, Portugese, Polish and Scandinavian languages.

Winston


Isn't it funny how there's always time and money enough to do it WRONG?
Articles by Winston can be found here
Azrael Noor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 29, 2010
Posts: 382
Winston Gutkowski wrote:
Azrael Noor wrote:Which API supports facility of getting English Alphabets (a, m , g etc)?

None that I know of; and I'm not quite sure what it would be useful for except possibly for validating information from a known language.

The "English" alphabet isn't unique to English. Accented letters aside (and English contains many French words like 'blasé', which should, theoretically, be accented), it's used by the French, Italian, Welsh, Gaelic and Dutch and, with only a few additions: German, Spanish, Portugese, Polish and Scandinavian languages.

Winston


Yups for specific validation i require. I do have other solution but i feel there may be one available like Calendar.Minutes, Hours, AM, PM or may be some Dictionary object

isn't A to Z (Just alphabet) unique to English?
chris webster
Bartender

Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Posts: 1716
    
  14

There's a Stack Overflow post about testing to see if a character belongs to a particular alphabet: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/810954/java-alphabets-in-different-languages

It's based on the various subsets of Unicode using Character.UnicodeBlock.

Not sure how you could distinguish between languages that use the same character set e.g. German and Finnish?, Norwegian/Danish?, English and various other languages?




No more Blub for me, thank you, Vicar.
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18570
    
    8

I would really like to know the background of this question.

So often people come here with strange questions like this one, which appear to be fueled by misunderstanding or lack of comprehension, and when asked what they are trying to do they give some lame excuse like "It's a requirement of the system".

Well, my response to this question is "You don't need to do that."

However I might be wrong. If you can show me why you need to do it, then we might be able to produce an answer which is useful in terms of the actual question.
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Joined: Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 7801
    
  21

Azrael Noor wrote:isn't A to Z (Just alphabet) unique to English?

Did I not make it clear?
Winston Gutkowski wrote:The "English" alphabet isn't unique to English...
It's true that languages like Welsh and Italian may not use all the letters, but they're all based on the Latin alphabet (along with all the others I listed). English's main peculiarity it that it doesn't have accented letters for native words.

My advice: Trying to validate text simply based on an alphabet is likely to be a non-starter.

Winston
Azrael Noor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 29, 2010
Posts: 382
Paul Clapham wrote:I would really like to know the background of this question.

So often people come here with strange questions like this one, which appear to be fueled by misunderstanding or lack of comprehension, and when asked what they are trying to do they give some lame excuse like "It's a requirement of the system".

Well, my response to this question is "You don't need to do that."

However I might be wrong. If you can show me why you need to do it, then we might be able to produce an answer which is useful in terms of the actual question.


Mr Paul

Actually i was getting Single Alphabet Code from back end like i,e,u,j.

When i get a set of - i e yuu j alphabets, i have to do one task (Coderanch application is not taking alphabet yuu :P )

When i get a set of - d m f k alphabets, i have to do other task

What i did i hard coded Configuration with Split Characters ( i,e,u,j | d,m,f,k ) and put all that in different List and check if contains

Actually i do not wanna hard code all 15 characters For this logic or write 5 lines of code so i was thinking may be it is available in some API like ALPHABET[1] return A rather then writing of my own function.

and ya It's a requirement of the system :sleep: and must be lack of comprehension there :beerchug:

With Regards

Azrael Noor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 29, 2010
Posts: 382
Winston Gutkowski wrote:
Azrael Noor wrote:isn't A to Z (Just alphabet) unique to English?

Did I not make it clear?
Winston Gutkowski wrote:The "English" alphabet isn't unique to English...
It's true that languages like Welsh and Italian may not use all the letters, but they're all based on the Latin alphabet (along with all the others I listed). English's main peculiarity it that it doesn't have accented letters for native words.

My advice: Trying to validate text simply based on an alphabet is likely to be a non-starter.

Winston


I have no knowledge of Welsh and Latin

Trying to validate text simply based on an alphabet is likely to be a non-starter. - Advice Taken
 
 
subject: Getting - Finding English Alphabets in Java using Java API (Inbuilt or Third Party)