the trailboss abuses his CodeRanch power for his other stuff (power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely is kinda neat!)
permaculture light bulbs permaculture electric heat permaculture cast iron permaculture wood burning stove permaculture solar food dehydrators
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

A windows computer that works properly for 1 year or more - Have you ever seen one ?

 
David Jason
Greenhorn
Posts: 27
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My Windows pc started slowing down and even hanging frequently after about a year. All my software is genuine (yay !), I have a paid antivirus. I surf safely.
Then, why does my system get messed up every now and then ?

I am thinking of doing all my development work in linux soon. Windows is really expensive - it costs money to buy and then you lose hours formatting the trash
and reinstalling tons of important software. And then backing all that stuff up because you might have to format your hard disk again.
How is mac ? I hear good things about it, but it is too expensive for now.

Is there any platform where i can do my development work in peace without having to pay, pay, pay and still get trash in the end ?
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64177
83
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You can have my Mac and OS X when you can pry it from.... well, you know.

 
Pat Farrell
Rancher
Posts: 4660
5
Linux Mac OS X VI Editor
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
When I was using Windows professionally (writing code on it 8+ hours a day) I would periodically do a format c: and reinstall. Typically about every six months.

Then I switched to Linux, and I really enjoyed two things: 1) I didn't have to do the format c: every few months and 2) I could change stuff, add new devices, and not have to reboot theOS.

For the past year or so, I've been using a MacBookPro and OS-X. I got it because I wanted to write for IOS, and you need OS-X to do that. Unlike some, I do not love OS-X. Its OK, but I'm not impressed by it, and its no more stable than a good Linux, IMHO, YMMV, etc. And yes, the MBP was about $1000 more expensive than a non-mac with the same specs.

A more important question is: do you have a choice? If you work in a company that is all Windows, you are most likely going to be forced to use Windows. If so, at least use Windows 7, not XP.

When I used Linux, I used Ubuntu, but I can not stand Unity. So I can't recommend a distro.

I have several computers that are setup to dual boot, between Linux and Windows. I only use Windows for those commercial games that require it.

 
marc weber
Sheriff
Posts: 11343
Java Mac Safari
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The Windows 7 machine I use for work has problems almost daily. Desktop support basically shrugs and says, "Well, that's the way it goes."

My personal Windows machine has not even been plugged in for the past 5 years. In that sense, it has worked properly.
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 20169
24
MySQL Database
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've had my Windows 7 machine for nearly two years now and I haven't had any problems with it. Nor do I have any complaints about it.

On the other hand I hear that Linux is an excellent platform for development, so I wouldn't try to dissuade you from going that way.
 
Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5575
Eclipse IDE Java Windows XP
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am having windows xp from past 2.5 years. no problem at all.
 
Ishu Saxena
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have a three year old (more than that infact) dual boot laptop running on Windows Vista and Sabayon. Never faced any issues with the Windows partition so far. Never had to reformat.
 
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 17616
39
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have had a machine for 3-4 years not and have never reformatted it. It didn't work properly for that entire span, but that was because it blew a memory module. I don't see many memory failures these days.

My secret? It's a refurb XP machine that I only switch on when I need to use Skype (the Linux version is broken), to do IE-specific testing, run TurboTax or Flight Simulator. I really like the MS Flight Simulator, even though supposedly the Linux one's pretty decent.

Sadly, I don't get in the (virtual) air much these days.

Most of the time, the Windows machine is powered down. The extra 300 watts or so are really noticeable in summer.
 
Wendy Gibbons
Bartender
Posts: 1107
Eclipse IDE Oracle VI Editor
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have never used linux seriously but some guys in our office did, they seemed to spend their whole life having to reinstall drivers, rebuild their pc because it wasn't working. whereas I was happily working away.
 
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 17616
39
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wendy Gibbons wrote:I have never used linux seriously but some guys in our office did, they seemed to spend their whole life having to reinstall drivers, rebuild their pc because it wasn't working. whereas I was happily working away.


It's possible that they still do. Linux was developed for tinkering and people who like to tinker usually use Linux.

However, this isn't 1996, when in order to get a web browser working I had to pull the cover off, yank the circuit cards, copy down the chip IDs and DIP switch/jumper settings in order to configure the network and video for Internet connectivity and a GUI browser. These days, if anything, it's easier than Windows. You don't have to reboot for anything less than a kernel upgrade (and sometimes not even then), the driver situation is sometimes better than Windows (thanks to MS signed drivers and version breakages). And many distros have a Live CD/DVD that allow you to boot up and play with Linux without reformatting your hard drive. You can also do OS upgrades without reformatting your hard drive or scrapping the entire computer.

So, unless you're buying off-brand hardware from Elbonia, the only reason you tinker with Linux these days is if you just happen to like to tinker.

The mousetech.com domain currently has 4 physical servers online plus my desktop plus intermittent Windows machines. Average uptime on the servers is about 200 days between reboots. Reboots usually involve major kernel upgrades, although I do blow out 1-2 disk drives a year, which I minimize by using RAID and mirrors. The desktop usually gets rebooted about once a week, since it's running Fedora, which, being the development platform for Red Hat has more frequent kernel changes.

And I save TONS of time and CPU cycles by not having to run Norton!
 
Rameshwar Soni
Ranch Hand
Posts: 247
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wendy Gibbons wrote:I have never used linux seriously


Good to see a Bartender telling this because i too haven't used Linux. But many people say that a person knowing Java should also know Linux/Ubuntu/Unix since most of the servers are in them and Java is mostly used on servers. Anyways i am happy on Windows but i think i will have to start understanding Linux/Ubuntu/Unix for a career.
 
Jayesh A Lalwani
Rancher
Pie
Posts: 2756
32
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My gaming laptop at home ran strong for 4 years or so. I just had to reinstall everything once. I don't install too much stuff on it, just the games that I play. Since, I got an IPad, I'm not using the laptop anymore. At work, the windows laptop they give me is a big pain. Between, the virus scanner, and the backup utility, the updates that come in everyday, the amount of memory is takes on startup, the "development laptop" is totally unusable for development. We have servers here that can host virtual LINUX machines. I got a virtual LINUX machine for myself, and I connect to it using CygWinX, and use that as my dev machine. My laptop is for emails and browsing only.

ETA: One of the reasons I switched to Linux is that grep makes analysis of log files so easy. Used to be that to look at log files, you had to open the log files in Textpad or something and search for stuff. Once you learn how to use grep and sed, filtering of the logs becomes so easy. Also, once you learn those tools, you are guaranteed to have them on any production server. Someone reports the problem, you can quickly analyze the problem right there
 
Wendy Gibbons
Bartender
Posts: 1107
Eclipse IDE Oracle VI Editor
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rameshwar Soni wrote:
Wendy Gibbons wrote:I have never used linux seriously


Good to see a Bartender telling this because i too haven't used Linux. But many people say that a person knowing Java should also know Linux/Ubuntu/Unix since most of the servers are in them and Java is mostly used on servers. Anyways i am happy on Windows but i think i will have to start understanding Linux/Ubuntu/Unix for a career.


Oh I have used Unix, started off doing C on serveral unix boxes.
 
Wendy Gibbons
Bartender
Posts: 1107
Eclipse IDE Oracle VI Editor
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tim Holloway wrote:
Wendy Gibbons wrote:I have never used linux seriously but some guys in our office did, they seemed to spend their whole life having to reinstall drivers, rebuild their pc because it wasn't working. whereas I was happily working away.


It's possible that they still do. Linux was developed for tinkering and people who like to tinker usually use Linux.

However, this isn't 1996, when in order to get a web browser working I had to pull the cover off, yank the circuit cards, copy down the chip IDs and DIP switch/jumper settings in order to configure the network and video for Internet connectivity and a GUI browser. These days, if anything, it's easier than Windows. You don't have to reboot for anything less than a kernel upgrade (and sometimes not even then), the driver situation is sometimes better than Windows (thanks to MS signed drivers and version breakages). And many distros have a Live CD/DVD that allow you to boot up and play with Linux without reformatting your hard drive. You can also do OS upgrades without reformatting your hard drive or scrapping the entire computer.

So, unless you're buying off-brand hardware from Elbonia, the only reason you tinker with Linux these days is if you just happen to like to tinker.

The mousetech.com domain currently has 4 physical servers online plus my desktop plus intermittent Windows machines. Average uptime on the servers is about 200 days between reboots. Reboots usually involve major kernel upgrades, although I do blow out 1-2 disk drives a year, which I minimize by using RAID and mirrors. The desktop usually gets rebooted about once a week, since it's running Fedora, which, being the development platform for Red Hat has more frequent kernel changes.

And I save TONS of time and CPU cycles by not having to run Norton!


This was only 4 years ago, so maybe they just liked tinkering.
Oh and it was inhouse built machines, with odd hardware.
 
Anayonkar Shivalkar
Bartender
Posts: 1557
5
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
For me, its been almost 5 years that I'm using Windows at my workplace(s) and never faced any issue - or at least issues were not serious enough to demand formatting/reinstallation. Sometimes, I do defrag hd, but that's it.
One reason might be I never used Windows Vista - the 'wow' operating system

But at home, I always use a Linux distro (except when I need to connect to my office machine - for that I need a Windows executable, and hence have to use Windows; besides, I got Windows 7 pre-installed in laptop).
Main reason for this is - easiness, security and stability (and of course, open source and free stuff). Yes, in initial time, I was gnome fan (I still love gnome2, cinnamon or mate), but once I got habitual to unity, I'm quite liking it now.

But yes, I'm still having Windows computer(s) which are working for quite a few years. Since I don't run some server specific live apps on my home machine, I shut it down when I go to sleep, but I rarely reboot my office machine(Windows) - except during critical system updates, and I don't face much issue(except that in my case, Windows' performance is lower than Ubuntu/Debian/Mint/Fedora etc. ).
 
Joe Ess
Bartender
Posts: 9214
9
Linux Mac OS X Windows
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pat Farrell wrote:When I was using Windows professionally (writing code on it 8+ hours a day) I would periodically do a format c: and reinstall. Typically about every six months.


I had the same experience with my home computers, though I'd go around 12 months between wipes (Windows XP and 7). Now my two home computers are a MacBook Pro and Ubuntu and are noticeably more reliable.
My two work computers run Windows XP and I've had better luck with them (the older one since 2008).

Pat Farrell wrote:
When I used Linux, I used Ubuntu, but I can not stand Unity. So I can't recommend a distro.


I concur. Unity stinks on ice.
 
Joe Ess
Bartender
Posts: 9214
9
Linux Mac OS X Windows
  • 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wendy Gibbons wrote:
Oh and it was inhouse built machines, with odd hardware.


I think I found your problem
 
dennis deems
Ranch Hand
Posts: 808
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have 4 computers that have run Windows XP over the last 8 years. I've had problems with certain applications, particularly games, web browsers and apps that run over the net; and now and again a new piece of hardware won't play nice and needs to be broken in. I've never had a single problem with the OS itself. XP is rock solid. At work, they had us upgrade from XP to Vista and then to Windows 7, and on those machines I had problems constantly. I'll probably be buying a new computer in the next year, and without question I will have XP installed on it.
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic