wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Associate Certification (OCAJP 7) and the fly likes Exam Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Associate Certification (OCAJP 7)
Bookmark "Exam" Watch "Exam" New topic
Author

Exam

Brian O'Shea
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 30, 2012
Posts: 37
Hi Edward and Robert,

Were you involved in setting the exam questions or have you sat the exam?

Regards,
Brian
Robert James Liguori
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 27, 2007
Posts: 530
    
    5

Brian O'Shea wrote:Hi Edward and Robert,

Were you involved in setting the exam questions or have you sat the exam?

Regards,
Brian


"Were you involved in setting the exam questions or have you sat the exam?"
We were not involved in setting the exam questions, but we both sat the exam. Note that we did write the SCJA (CX-310-109) book and have multiple certifications so we became very close to observing how the exams matured/changed.

I think (but not sure) that Bert Bates, author of the SCJP book, may have had influence on the development of the exam questions on the real exams.

-- Robert


My Blog (I frequently post on Java, JSF and NetBeans)
Brian O'Shea
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 30, 2012
Posts: 37
Thanks for the quick reply, I am planning on sitting the exam in November/December. Does your book cover the new features of SE7 in depth or just from a high level?
Brian O'Shea
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 30, 2012
Posts: 37
I have your SCJA book for CX-310-019. Found it very good. Is this one the same style.
Robert James Liguori
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 27, 2007
Posts: 530
    
    5

Brian O'Shea wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, I am planning on sitting the exam in November/December. Does your book cover the new features of SE7 in depth or just from a high level?


Believe it or not, I didn't see too many Java SE 7 things on the exam... but we do provide coverage for SE 7 enhancements in the book, such as Strings in the switch statement, multi-catch statements, try-with resources statements, binary literals, underscores with numeric literals, Unicode 6.0, etc.

-- Robert
Robert James Liguori
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 27, 2007
Posts: 530
    
    5

Brian O'Shea wrote:I have your SCJA book for CX-310-019. Found it very good. Is this one the same style.


Our SCJA book you reference provided the foundations for our OCA book... but trust me, we worked hard for nearly a year making the necessary updates, improvements, additions and changes for the new, modified and/or removed objectives.



" ... Found it very good. ..."
Thank you!

-- Robert
Brian O'Shea
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 30, 2012
Posts: 37
Robert Liguori wrote:We were not involved in setting the exam questions, but we both sat the exam.


100% each ?

Did you find any bit tricky?
Robert James Liguori
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 27, 2007
Posts: 530
    
    5

Brian O'Shea wrote:
Robert Liguori wrote:We were not involved in setting the exam questions, but we both sat the exam.


100% each ?

Did you find any bit tricky?


"100% each ?"
Nope.

"Did you find any bit tricky?"
Yes, many of the questions were 'tricky'. The exam is now presented in the feel of the legacy SCJP exam, not the feel of the legacy SCJA and OCA 5/6 exams.

Test candidates need to be both prepared on the material and the nature of the test to pass this exam.

-- Robert
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Exam
 
Similar Threads
Head First Final Exam
exam registration
want help for writing scjp exam
Finally going for SCJP
less time for prep