Win a copy of Re-engineering Legacy Software this week in the Refactoring forum
or Docker in Action in the Cloud/Virtualization forum!
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic

Thread programming in a Struts application

Roger Jam
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Report post to moderator
Hi... Can we use Java Threads in a struts web application as we do in a stand Alone application. As all the control would be under Web/Application Server , it is efficient/allowable to induce threads in a struts web application . Please Suggest.

Mohana Rao Sv
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Which struts version you were using?
What do you want to do with threads / why do you need it actually?

Joe Ess
Bartender
Pie
Linux Mac OS X Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Spawning threads is discouraged because it is safer to allow the container to manage threads. Have a look at this discussion for some alternatives.

Roger Jam
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi Mohan and Joe..thanks for your suggestions. Sorry i was not able to get back here after posting. My requirement was to send a request to data base after some update is done depending on a condition.Client wants this to be independent. He wants to proceed to other links without depending on this operation result or time . I thought of using threads,but i didnt get any assured/suitable information whether i can use threads or any other alternatives. My application is struts based and we are using JBOSS server.Please suggest.

Joe Ess
Bartender
Pie
Linux Mac OS X Windows
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One strategy I've used is to use a JMS queue to communicate with a stand-alone process. The request just has to place all the required information on the queue. The JMS queue is useful because it can queue up requests should the stand-alone process fail at any time. The stand-alone process reads from the queue, executes whatever processing it has to do then it sends an email with the report as an attachment.

• Bookmark Topic Watch Topic