the trailboss abuses his CodeRanch power for his other stuff (power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely is kinda neat!)
permaculture light bulbs permaculture electric heat permaculture cast iron permaculture wood burning stove permaculture solar food dehydrators
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes The last word? Not quite! Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "The last word? Not quite!" Watch "The last word? Not quite!" New topic
Author

The last word? Not quite!

Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 40052
    
  28
You probably mean antepenultimate, Wendy.
Ricardo Wagemaker
Greenhorn

Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Posts: 22

Campbell Ritchie wrote:You probably mean antepenultimate, Wendy.


Brilliant, many thanks it worked.
Wendy Gibbons
Bartender

Joined: Oct 21, 2008
Posts: 1107

Campbell Ritchie wrote:You probably mean antepenultimate, Wendy.

Blows a big raspberry, if you don't know what one is,well HAH
Ricardo Wagemaker
Greenhorn

Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Posts: 22

So out of curiosity is there another english word that comes after antepenultimate? How are we foreigners support to code any language when we don't even know english propa... ;-)
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 40052
    
  28
After antepenultimate is penultimate. After penultimate is last, final, ultimate, etc.
For before antepenultimate, try this dictionary link.
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 40052
    
  28
Wendy Gibbons wrote: . . . Blows a big raspberry, if you don't know what one is,well HAH
I probably knew what they were before you were born. I didn’t know the origin of the term, however.

And half of this thread is going where it belongs…MD!
Matthew Brown
Bartender

Joined: Apr 06, 2010
Posts: 4490
    
    8

Campbell Ritchie wrote:And half of this thread is going where it belongs…MD!

Where it makes even less sense than usual to those of us who didn't see the original thread .
Ruud Smith
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 05, 2004
Posts: 11

And here is where it all started.

And this is my first post on this forum, finally after more than 8 years lurking in the shadows.
Wendy Gibbons
Bartender

Joined: Oct 21, 2008
Posts: 1107

Campbell Ritchie wrote:
Wendy Gibbons wrote: . . . Blows a big raspberry, if you don't know what one is,well HAH
I probably knew what they were before you were born. I didn’t know the origin of the term, however.

And half of this thread is going where it belongs…MD!


But you are cheating, you are also English.
Wendy Gibbons
Bartender

Joined: Oct 21, 2008
Posts: 1107

Ricardo Wagemaker wrote:So out of curiosity is there another english word that comes after antepenultimate? How are we foreigners support to code any language when we don't even know english propa... ;-)


And shouldn't it be before ante penultimate ?
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24187
    
  34

In LISP it would be caadr.


[Jess in Action][AskingGoodQuestions]
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 40052
    
  28
Don’t let’s get started about car and cdr and caadr.
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 40052
    
  28
Ruud Smith, welcome to the Ranch
Only eight years’ lurking. I think the record is ten years, but I am not certain.
Ricardo Wagemaker
Greenhorn

Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Posts: 22

Wendy Gibbons wrote:
Campbell Ritchie wrote:
Wendy Gibbons wrote: . . . Blows a big raspberry, if you don't know what one is,well HAH
I probably knew what they were before you were born. I didn’t know the origin of the term, however.

And half of this thread is going where it belongs…MD!


But you are cheating, you are also English.


I know I leave in UK but I am not English, I am Dutch from Holland :-)
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: The last word? Not quite!