Win a copy of Mesos in Action this week in the Cloud/Virtualizaton forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Problem Running NetBean Platform App

 
Bob Scott
Ranch Hand
Posts: 41
Eclipse IDE Java Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,
I'm going through the quick start guide and when I click run to run my newly created program it starts another copy of the NetBeans IDE and then runs the program in the second copy of the IDE. It doesn't say anything about this in the tutorial so I wonder what I could do to turn that off. Thanks!
 
Michael Dunn
Ranch Hand
Posts: 4632
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
you might be better off reposting in the IDE's forum here, or at the Netbeans site.
 
Ranganathan Kaliyur Mannar
Bartender
Posts: 1101
10
Java Netbeans IDE Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There are 2 types of NetBeans Platform app - Application or Standalone Module.

If you are developing an application, you would add the "modules" dependency in the properties tab. Then, when you run the app, the application will start with all the marked modules loaded.

Whereas, if you are just developing a Standalone Module and run it, I think it will start a copy of the NetBeans IDE and run your module too. This is because, many developers write "plugins" to be added to the NetBeans IDE and such an environment is needed to test it.

You can check out these 2 links:
Platform Application
Plugin(Module)
 
Bob Scott
Ranch Hand
Posts: 41
Eclipse IDE Java Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ranganathan Kaliyur Mannar wrote:There are 2 types of NetBeans Platform app - Application or Standalone Module.

If you are developing an application, you would add the "modules" dependency in the properties tab. Then, when you run the app, the application will start with all the marked modules loaded.

Whereas, if you are just developing a Standalone Module and run it, I think it will start a copy of the NetBeans IDE and run your module too. This is because, many developers write "plugins" to be added to the NetBeans IDE and such an environment is needed to test it.

You can check out these 2 links:
Platform Application
Plugin(Module)


Thanks for the reply Ranganathan! That first link you posted for Platform Application was the one I was working on. (The first tutorial on that page.) I think what I will do is to go back there and start over again. It didn't take that long and I'm sure I made a mistake somewhere a long the way.
 
Bob Scott
Ranch Hand
Posts: 41
Eclipse IDE Java Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bob Scott wrote:
Ranganathan Kaliyur Mannar wrote:There are 2 types of NetBeans Platform app - Application or Standalone Module.

If you are developing an application, you would add the "modules" dependency in the properties tab. Then, when you run the app, the application will start with all the marked modules loaded.

Whereas, if you are just developing a Standalone Module and run it, I think it will start a copy of the NetBeans IDE and run your module too. This is because, many developers write "plugins" to be added to the NetBeans IDE and such an environment is needed to test it.

You can check out these 2 links:
Platform Application
Plugin(Module)


Thanks for the reply Ranganathan! That first link you posted for Platform Application was the one I was working on. (The first tutorial on that page.) I think what I will do is to go back there and start over again. It didn't take that long and I'm sure I made a mistake somewhere a long the way.


No cigar.

On my Project Properties page

In Sources my module name (WordEditorCore) is listed in the Suite Modules box

In Libraries, 'platform' is the only one checked.

In Application, originally when I first looked at it, it had Create Standalone Application checked but I changed it to Create Collection of Platform Modules. Either way the behavior was the same. (Another instance of the IDE loaded.)

In Installer it just says that the installer is for Windows.

Is there some other place I should be looking??
 
Bob Scott
Ranch Hand
Posts: 41
Eclipse IDE Java Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bob Scott wrote:
Bob Scott wrote:
Ranganathan Kaliyur Mannar wrote:There are 2 types of NetBeans Platform app - Application or Standalone Module.

If you are developing an application, you would add the "modules" dependency in the properties tab. Then, when you run the app, the application will start with all the marked modules loaded.

Whereas, if you are just developing a Standalone Module and run it, I think it will start a copy of the NetBeans IDE and run your module too. This is because, many developers write "plugins" to be added to the NetBeans IDE and such an environment is needed to test it.

You can check out these 2 links:
Platform Application
Plugin(Module)


Thanks for the reply Ranganathan! That first link you posted for Platform Application was the one I was working on. (The first tutorial on that page.) I think what I will do is to go back there and start over again. It didn't take that long and I'm sure I made a mistake somewhere a long the way.


No cigar.

On my Project Properties page

In Sources my module name (WordEditorCore) is listed in the Suite Modules box

In Libraries, 'platform' is the only one checked.

In Application, originally when I first looked at it, it had Create Standalone Application checked but I changed it to Create Collection of Platform Modules. Either way the behavior was the same. (Another instance of the IDE loaded.)

In Installer it just says that the installer is for Windows.

Is there some other place I should be looking??


I just realized what my problem was. When I run the program a splash screen briefly appears that looks like the NetBeans splash screen and that's what I thought it was. I see now in the title bar of the running application it says NetBeans Platform 7.2. If I look in Help/About it shows that splash screen with 'NetBeans Platform' showing. Thanks again for your help.
 
Ranganathan Kaliyur Mannar
Bartender
Posts: 1101
10
Java Netbeans IDE Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bob Scott wrote:
I just realized what my problem was. When I run the program a splash screen briefly appears that looks like the NetBeans splash screen and that's what I thought it was. I see now in the title bar of the running application it says NetBeans Platform 7.2. If I look in Help/About it shows that splash screen with 'NetBeans Platform' showing. Thanks again for your help.

Correct. I was actually thinking about mentioning this yesterday, but wasn't sure if you were developing a platform app or a module. Am glad that you found it.

One more piece of info: the NetBeans IDE itself is built with NetBeans Platform i.e the IDE is actually a NetBeans Platform application - so, it is the IDE which looks like the platform
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic