wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes XML and Related Technologies and the fly likes What are some alternatives to JAXB? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » XML and Related Technologies
Bookmark "What are some alternatives to JAXB?" Watch "What are some alternatives to JAXB?" New topic
Author

What are some alternatives to JAXB?

Chun Chu
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 11, 2011
Posts: 15
What are some alternatives to JAXB? I would like to create JAVA bindings to aid creating and reading XML files.

I know that you can use JAXB to accomplish that but I would like to know if there are any alternatives out there.

Thanks
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41026
    
  43
XOM, JDOM, dom4j, etc. etc.


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Jelle Klap
Bartender

Joined: Mar 10, 2008
Posts: 1752
    
    7

Projects like Castor and Apache XMLBeans predate JAXB, so you could have a look at those.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Chun Chu
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 11, 2011
Posts: 15
Ulf Dittmer wrote:XOM, JDOM, dom4j, etc. etc.


I thought those are consider XML parsers. I am looking for something similar to JAXB where you run your XML schema against the JAXB tool to generate JAVA classes that aid reading and writing XML files.
Chun Chu
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 11, 2011
Posts: 15
Jelle Klap wrote:Projects like Castor and Apache XMLBeans predate JAXB, so you could have a look at those.


Yup! Mr. Google leads me to XMLBeans as well. I never heard of Castor. I will take a look.

Please let me know if there's any more alternatives.

Thanks
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18541
    
    8

My google keywords java xml binding produced a link to JIBX on the first page.
Chun Chu
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 11, 2011
Posts: 15
Paul Clapham wrote:My google keywords java xml binding produced a link to JIBX on the first page.


Somehow that's not on my search result when I use Google. :-/

Thanks!
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41026
    
  43
Chun Chu wrote:
Ulf Dittmer wrote:XOM, JDOM, dom4j, etc. etc.


I thought those are consider XML parsers. I am looking for something similar to JAXB where you run your XML schema against the JAXB tool to generate JAVA classes that aid reading and writing XML files.


They're not parsers, they're XML APIs that can be used to read and write XML. You're correct that they don't create Java classes from an XML schema, but then, you didn't initially state that that's what you wanted.
Chun Chu
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 11, 2011
Posts: 15
Ulf Dittmer wrote:
Chun Chu wrote:
Ulf Dittmer wrote:XOM, JDOM, dom4j, etc. etc.


I thought those are consider XML parsers. I am looking for something similar to JAXB where you run your XML schema against the JAXB tool to generate JAVA classes that aid reading and writing XML files.


They're not parsers, they're XML APIs that can be used to read and write XML. You're correct that they don't create Java classes from an XML schema, but then, you didn't initially state that that's what you wanted.


Sorry for not being clear. Thanks for clarification.
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: What are some alternatives to JAXB?
 
Similar Threads
Castor Vs JAXB
is video streaming possible in java?
JAXB XPATH API
converting xml to java objects
Question on Characetr Encoding to UTF-8