Win a copy of Mesos in Action this week in the Cloud/Virtualizaton forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

File structure in a Java project

 
Jacky Luk
Ranch Hand
Posts: 634
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator


What should I place the jar library that I have included in my project?
such as rs2xml.jar



Thanks
Jack
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11027
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
External jars need to be on the classpath and not necessarily inside your project structure. In fact, having them on the classpath, lets you share them across projects.
 
Jacky Luk
Ranch Hand
Posts: 634
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:External jars need to be on the classpath and not necessarily inside your project structure. In fact, having them on the classpath, lets you share them across projects.


Hi, I am back
First of all,
I have a directory structure

I compile it by netbeans.
When I go to D:\Project\boksspatientproject\build\classes
I typed jar cvfm patient.jar MANIFEST.TXT boksspatientanalysis\*.class
a jar file patient.jar is created. However, I've got a message
Saying it cannot find the main class (Translated)

I believe, yes, it's the classpath problem
What classpath should I set in my case?
I've also learned from the web that there are some software that does this
- packaging all jar libs with the main jar into one jar so that there won't be any dependencies.
Do I have to set classpath as well if I use those software and packaged jar application?
Thanks
Jack
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11027
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jack Luk wrote:a jar file patient.jar is created. However, I've got a message
Saying it cannot find the main class (Translated)

That has got nothing to do with your original question. This error is indicating, that the JVM is unable to find the application entry point
Recommended reading http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/appman.html

You will have to specify which packaging applications you are referring to. Does it have any documentation? Does it answer your question regarding jars and classpaths?
Usually one also specifies the classpath in the manifest file http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/downman.html
 
Jacky Luk
Ranch Hand
Posts: 634
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:
Jack Luk wrote:a jar file patient.jar is created. However, I've got a message
Saying it cannot find the main class (Translated)

That has got nothing to do with your original question. This error is indicating, that the JVM is unable to find the application entry point
Recommended reading http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/appman.html

You will have to specify which packaging applications you are referring to. Does it have any documentation? Does it answer your question regarding jars and classpaths?
Usually one also specifies the classpath in the manifest file http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/downman.html


Hello Maneesh,
Thanks for your help first.
Okay, the entry point is found. But as the third-party libraries are not included in the jar file created, I've got these

I put the Class-Path: rs2xml.jar.. blah
still got the errors!
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11027
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I put the Class-Path: rs2xml.jar.. blah

Where is the rs2xml.jar? Is it the same place like your generated jar? Did you read the classpath link I had provided earlier?
 
Jacky Luk
Ranch Hand
Posts: 634
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:
I put the Class-Path: rs2xml.jar.. blah

Where is the rs2xml.jar? Is it the same place like your generated jar? Did you read the classpath link I had provided earlier?


Dear Maneesh,
I put it in the same folder as the main jar file.
Thanks
Jack
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11027
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Can you show us your manifest file?
 
Jacky Luk
Ranch Hand
Posts: 634
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:Can you show us your manifest file?


Here it is. Thanks

 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11027
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
From the manifest classpath link I had provided earlier
Warning: The text file must end with a new line or carriage return. The last line will not be parsed properly if it does not end with a new line or carriage return.

Can you confirm your manifest file ends with a new line ?
 
Jacky Luk
Ranch Hand
Posts: 634
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:From the manifest classpath link I had provided earlier
Warning: The text file must end with a new line or carriage return. The last line will not be parsed properly if it does not end with a new line or carriage return.

Can you confirm your manifest file ends with a new line ?


OK, now, thanks
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11027
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jack Luk wrote:
OK, now, thanks

For the benefit of future uses, can you elaborate on this? Do you mean the manifest was missing the newline, which solved your problem?
 
Jacky Luk
Ranch Hand
Posts: 634
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:
Jack Luk wrote:
OK, now, thanks

For the benefit of future uses, can you elaborate on this? Do you mean the manifest was missing the newline, which solved your problem?


Hi,
I forgot that I've deleted the libraries files in the same folder as the main jar. That's it
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic