Win a copy of Mesos in Action this week in the Cloud/Virtualizaton forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Email delivery confirmation

 
Apreet Singh
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi

Does someone know of a way to get email delivery confirmation status when email is send using Java mail API ?

Thanks
 
Kemal Sokolovic
Bartender
Posts: 825
5
Java Python Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Check this thread.
 
Apreet Singh
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks.

One alternate option is to create log entry of email send attempt and have bcc to a designated id. Matching of data can be done to have delivery status. May not be advisable if high load system as this will double the number of emails being sent
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11027
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Moving to a more suitable forum...

Apreet Singh wrote:
One alternate option is to create log entry of email send attempt and have bcc to a designated id. Matching of data can be done to have delivery status. May not be advisable if high load system as this will double the number of emails being sent

Not really. Receipt on the BCC id would not necessarily ensure receipt on the original ID.

One hackish way is to include a 0px image in the body, which is provided by some servlet on your server. The call to the servlet would include the mail ID as a parameter. However, this approach would sort of ensure a read receipt. It might be noted though that the mail can be delivered but not read.
 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Posts: 42967
73
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:One hackish way is to include a 0px image in the body, which is provided by some servlet on your server. The call to the servlet would include the mail ID as a parameter. However, this approach would sort of ensure a read receipt.

Not really. Many email clients by default (or by user choice) do not load images.

There is no reliable way to get a delivery notification. Even email systems that have such a feature baked in (like Outlook/Exchange) can be tweaked by knowledgeable users not to send one. Plus, asking for delivery or read notifications has the potential to aggravate users, and may thus not be such a good idea.
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11027
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ulf Dittmer wrote:Not really. Many email clients by default (or by user choice) do not load images.

Ah! Yes I missed out on that one. Thanks Ulf.
 
Apreet Singh
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:Moving to a more suitable forum...

Apreet Singh wrote:
One alternate option is to create log entry of email send attempt and have bcc to a designated id. Matching of data can be done to have delivery status. May not be advisable if high load system as this will double the number of emails being sent

Not really. Receipt on the BCC id would not necessarily ensure receipt on the original ID.

One hackish way is to include a 0px image in the body, which is provided by some servlet on your server. The call to the servlet would include the mail ID as a parameter. However, this approach would sort of ensure a read receipt. It might be noted though that the mail can be delivered but not read.


Having bcc may not ensure reciept on original id (case in which id may not exist) , but atleast we can know that at that time our
email server was not down and was actively sending emails.
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11027
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Apreet Singh wrote:
Having bcc may not ensure reciept on original id (case in which id may not exist) , but atleast we can know that at that time our
email server was not down and was actively sending emails.

You don't need BCC for that one. You can always process the MessagingException in Transport@send()
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic