Get your CodeRanch badge!*
The moose likes Other Application Frameworks and the fly likes ProSpring or Spring in Action Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Frameworks » Other Application Frameworks
Bookmark "ProSpring or Spring in Action" Watch "ProSpring or Spring in Action" New topic
Author

ProSpring or Spring in Action

Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15292
    
    6

I am debating on buying a Spring book and these are the 2 to choose from. (If this has been asked before, point me to the thread). What I am primarily looking for is integrating Spring for handling my Data Access layer with Hibernate. Which of these books, if either, discuss this better?


GenRocket - Experts at Building Test Data
Lasse Koskela
author
Sheriff

Joined: Jan 23, 2002
Posts: 11962
    
    5
My personal opinion is that "Spring in Action" covers the topic better. "Pro Spring" has more pages on it, but "Spring in Action" is by far more focused and easier to read. "Pro Spring" mixes a mini-tutorial on Hibernate with the actual how-to-integrate-Hibernate-with-Spring section which in part makes it a bit "noisy". Both will do the job, though.


Author of Test Driven (2007) and Effective Unit Testing (2013) [Blog] [HowToAskQuestionsOnJavaRanch]
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15292
    
    6

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
My personal opinion is that "Spring in Action" covers the topic better. "Pro Spring" has more pages on it, but "Spring in Action" is by far more focused and easier to read. "Pro Spring" mixes a mini-tutorial on Hibernate with the actual how-to-integrate-Hibernate-with-Spring section which in part makes it a bit "noisy". Both will do the job, though.


So Lasse, from your participation in this forum I am assuming you are a fan of Spring? Could you *briefly* explain any benefits I might have using Spring for my DAO stuff other than transparent transaction/session management?
[ March 02, 2005: Message edited by: Gregg Bolinger ]
Lasse Koskela
author
Sheriff

Joined: Jan 23, 2002
Posts: 11962
    
    5
Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:
So Lasse, from your participation in this forum I am assuming you are a fan of Spring? Could you *briefly* explain any benefits I might have using Spring for my DAO stuff other than transparent transaction/session management?

Well, the transparency is probably the biggest thing for most Spring applications but the dependency injection comes as a close second. We'll see how Hibernate 3 changes the landscape, but I have to say that right now, Spring does make Hibernate persistence a notch easier.
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15292
    
    6

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:

Well, the transparency is probably the biggest thing for most Spring applications but the dependency injection comes as a close second. We'll see how Hibernate 3 changes the landscape, but I have to say that right now, Spring does make Hibernate persistence a notch easier.


Well, the only way I know of in Hibernate to make things transparent is to use the HibernateUtil class and some sort of HibernateFilter that actually starts and ends transactions. It seems sloppy and hacky to me to do it this way though. I am using H3. There are some updated HibernateSpring packages in the sandbox though that people seem to be having success with. I might give those a shot. Now I just have to learn it. It's a never ending cycle this learning is.
Ashik Uzzaman
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 05, 2001
Posts: 2370

Does any book of Spring yet cover Spring Web Flow?


Ashik Uzzaman
Senior Member of Technical Staff, Salesforce.com, San Francisco, CA, USA.
Magesh Lakshmi
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 02, 2005
Posts: 10
Pro Spring is far better when you want to fiddle around with Spring, owing to the fact that there are lot of examples.

Especially AOP is explained , the way to be explained.


Mag
Junilu Lacar
Bartender

Joined: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4419
    
    5

FWIW, I have both books and find myself referring to Pro Spring a lot more than Spring in Action. Of course it may depend on the kind of things you are going to do with Spring. For example, I have been working with the Quartz job scheduler and some JMS and I prefer the Pro Spring coverage of these topics than Spring in Action. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but there was a rebate offer from APress at bookpool.com where you could get $20 back if you bought two APress books and $10 for one so that's something you might want to consider too.


Junilu - [How to Ask Questions] [How to Answer Questions]
Slim Baltagi
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 09, 2005
Posts: 3
Hello

To help Gregg Bolinger picking "Pro Spring" or "Spring in Action", I suggest: Sample Book Chapters at SpringHub.com which includes Chapter 4 of "Pro Spring" and Chapter 1 of "Spring in Action".

To answer Ashik Uzzaman
>Does any book of Spring yet cover Spring Web Flow?

Yes, there is an upcoming 300 pages book to be published on January 2006! "Expert Spring MVC and Web Flows" (Expert) (Paperback) by Seth Ladd, Keith Donald


Slim Baltagi<br /> <a href="http://www.SpringHub.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.SpringHub.com</a>
Clodoaldo J´┐Żnior
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 12, 2005
Posts: 3
Other book about Spring very good is: Professional Java Development with the Spring Framework by Rod Johnson,Juergen Hoeller, Alef Arendsen...
This book have 672 pages.

[]'s
ClodoaldoJR


UFPB - University Federal of Paraiba - Brazil (bachelor degree)
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: ProSpring or Spring in Action
 
Similar Threads
I need to know spring.
which book is best to learn spring
which application framework to learn
Hibernate and Container Managed Transaction
Need help in using apache camel routing