aspose file tools*
The moose likes Beginning Java and the fly likes How do I make a project that encrypts and decrypts a word the user inputs? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Beginning Java
Bookmark "How do I make a project that encrypts and decrypts a word the user inputs?" Watch "How do I make a project that encrypts and decrypts a word the user inputs?" New topic
Author

How do I make a project that encrypts and decrypts a word the user inputs?

Natasha Morehouse
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 26, 2012
Posts: 5
I am using Eclipse, so I don't need any code for the ASCII.

I need to create a project that encrypts and decrypts whatever the user inputted. Here is the code I wrote:


Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 19064
    
  40

Natasha Morehouse wrote:I am using Eclipse, so I don't need any code for the ASCII.


Huh ?!?!?!?


Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
Natasha Morehouse
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 26, 2012
Posts: 5
Henry Wong wrote:
Natasha Morehouse wrote:I am using Eclipse, so I don't need any code for the ASCII.


Huh ?!?!?!?


Eclipse already knows the ASCII (I don't know if you need code for it or not, my teacher didn't explain ASCII very well)
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 19064
    
  40

Natasha Morehouse wrote:Eclipse already knows the ASCII (I don't know if you need code for it or not, my teacher didn't explain ASCII very well)


Java uses the unicode standard for characters. Unicode is a super set of ASCII, so Java supports ASCII.... Eclipse (the Integrated Development Environment) doesn't need to do anything special to support Java regarding this.

Henry
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 19064
    
  40

Natasha Morehouse wrote:Here is the code I wrote:


Have you compiled this code? The section above isn't valid Java code.

Henry
Natasha Morehouse
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 26, 2012
Posts: 5
I know, I'm attempting to fix that right now (I kind of suck at programming)
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 19064
    
  40

Natasha Morehouse wrote:I know, I'm attempting to fix that right now (I kind of suck at programming)


A couple of recommendations that may help... First, when using pseudo code (not real code), it may be a good idea to "comment" them -- meaning prefix those lines with "//". This way, you can still compile the partially completed code. Second, no need to invent a new language for pseudo code, writing it using java syntax mixed with english is probably best -- but this is your decision, whatever is easier. Also, eclipse support the TODO tag in comments. When you add this tag, eclipse will highlight them in a different color, and lists them in one of the subwindows. Basically, eclipse is keeping a TODO list for you.

Henry
Natasha Morehouse
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 26, 2012
Posts: 5
Henry Wong wrote:

A couple of recommendations that may help... First, when using pseudo code (not real code), it may be a good idea to "comment" them -- meaning prefix those lines with "//". This way, you can still compile the partially completed code. Second, no need to invent a new language for pseudo code, writing it using java syntax mixed with english is probably best -- but this is your decision, whatever is easier. Also, eclipse support the TODO tag in comments. When you add this tag, eclipse will highlight them in a different color, and lists them in one of the subwindows. Basically, eclipse is keeping a TODO list for you.

Henry


Thanks I'll try to do that, but I am having trouble on figuring out how to make it so the word's ASCII will change when encrypted and will be the same word when decrypted
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: How do I make a project that encrypts and decrypts a word the user inputs?