File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Ranch Office and the fly likes possible new look and feel Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » This Site » Ranch Office
Bookmark "possible new look and feel" Watch "possible new look and feel" New topic
Author

possible new look and feel

paul wheaton
Trailboss

Joined: Dec 14, 1998
Posts: 20495
    ∞

This is a thread view. What do you think?


[Thumbnail for thread-view-coderanch-2.png]



permaculture Wood Burning Stoves 2.0 - 4-DVD set
Palak Mathur
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 29, 2007
Posts: 313

paul wheaton wrote:This is a thread view. What do you think?


This is nice. Like it.


Palak Mathur | My Blog | TechJaunt | What is JavaRanch? | List of All FAQs
J. Kevin Robbins
Bartender

Joined: Dec 16, 2010
Posts: 853
    
  13

I like it, too. The "similar threads" section looks like a nice feature.


"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." -- Ted Nelson
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18545
    
  40

Jk Robbins wrote:I like it, too. The "similar threads" section looks like a nice feature.



Actually, as a feature, the "similar threads" section is available today -- although admittedly, it is currently not on this particular topic, as the forum is having some issues regarding indexing of topics.

Henry


Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
tony thomas
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 1
So why shouldn't everything on the code ranch not look like a ranch?

It looks like what we have here is a classic UI example of "Skeuomorph"[1] and it's getting a really bad rap[2], why is Apple making everything look like the ugly old wild west[3] they say.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeuomorph
[2] http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670760/will-apples-tacky-software-design-philosophy-cause-a-revolt
[3] http://gizmodo.com/5849940/ugh-god-why-apple-is-making-everything-look-like-an-ugly-wild-west?tag=apple



Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
163

Tony, welcome to the forums!

I wasn't aware of the term that you mentioned before reading those articles you posted. I'm curious to know whether you would dislike the new look and feel, that is being proposed, if you hadn't known about the Apple criticism. What about the current looks of our forums? Do you like it?

I see that this is your first post here, but is this your first time at coderanch/javaranch? The reason I ask is because JavaRanch has always been associated with the ranch styled theme. Some like it (many of them are old timers who have been around, either active or lurking, for some years) and some want it to look more "modern".


[My Blog] [JavaRanch Journal]
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41137
    
  45
I think the color of the outer frame is very dark; I'd prefer something much lighter and cheerier.


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Joined: Mar 24, 2008
Posts: 3817

Ulf Dittmer wrote:I think the color of the outer frame is very dark; I'd prefer something much lighter and cheerier.


+1, It might become bit annoying while reading posts continuously (as this is the main focus of the forums). Might be better and comfortable with lighter color.


SCJP 5 | SCWCD 5
[How to ask questions] [Twitter]
meeta gaur
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 05, 2012
Posts: 305

Please don't adopt this theme, it reduces page width.I ain't feeling comfortable while reading, i used zoom function of Mozilla to read page easily but now zoom doesn't make any sense with this theme.It will ultimately increase more scrolling overhead nothing else.


My one regret in life is that I am not someone else.
- Woody Allen
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
163

meeta gaur wrote:Please don't adopt this theme, it reduces page width.I ain't feeling comfortable while reading, i used zoom function of Mozilla to read page easily but now zoom doesn't make any sense with this theme.It will ultimately increase more scrolling overhead nothing else.


The view is currently in beta and we are looking for feedback. Some other users have also expressed similar concerns about the width of the new pages. We've noted it and are going to consider it while deciding what changes/additions have to be done to the proposed new view.
Albareto McKenzie
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Posts: 298

I like the look and feel but I have some concerns about the usability:

Is there a way to go back directly to the subforum you were in? Let's say, I am in JSP forum, enter a topic, post something (probably stupid) and then I want to go back to JSP forum; in the new view I am only able to go to Java category (or other) and then from there to JSP, am I missing something?

Also would be nice in a topic to have at the bottom of it a "post reply" button.

And as an extra -and not related with the new theme-, would be great to have the quick answer option, very useful if you don't want to quote someone or put code or whatever (even if you need to do so I use it a lot in other forums and put the tags myself manually).
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
163

Albareto McKenzie wrote:

Is there a way to go back directly to the subforum you were in? Let's say, I am in JSP forum, enter a topic, post something (probably stupid) and then I want to go back to JSP forum; in the new view I am only able to go to Java category (or other) and then from there to JSP, am I missing something?

This is going to come soon in our next batch of beta view additions.

Albareto McKenzie wrote:
Also would be nice in a topic to have at the bottom of it a "post reply" button.

This one too.

Albareto McKenzie wrote:
And as an extra -and not related with the new theme-, would be great to have the quick answer option, very useful if you don't want to quote someone or put code or whatever (even if you need to do so I use it a lot in other forums and put the tags myself manually).

I'm not too sure about this one. I'll have to check with others.
Albareto McKenzie
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Posts: 298
Great to hear that
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24183
    
  34

Albareto McKenzie wrote:
And as an extra -and not related with the new theme-, would be great to have the quick answer option, very useful if you don't want to quote someone or put code or whatever (even if you need to do so I use it a lot in other forums and put the tags myself manually).


We do actually have this feature, although the user interface is a little strange: it's just an HTML link with the text "Quick Reply" at the bottom of the thread page, right above "This thread has been viewed X times." I bet most people miss it.


[Jess in Action][AskingGoodQuestions]
Albareto McKenzie
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Posts: 298
Yep. I have missed it also, it took me quite a while to find it even knowing it was there haha, well, good to know that it exists Thanks for the hint!
Tina Smith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 21, 2011
Posts: 171
    
    5

The new ranch look is cool. I like the color scheme and layout overall (or will after the navigation's changed as described here). But I'm going to echo the concern about readability. On my monitor (1680x1050px) I see about 50% brown background. After staring at the screen for a couple minutes the contrast between the brown and the post backgrounds is starting to make me focus on the brown rather than the actual post content.

Also potential concern with code length. Looks like long code samples wrap: I counted wrap at 73-characters? My preference is that code should not wrap, ever. It breaks my groove (and the rules of good styling).


Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. ~Robert A. Heinlein
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
163

Tina Smith wrote:The new ranch look is cool. I like the color scheme and layout overall (or will after the navigation's changed as described here). But I'm going to echo the concern about readability. On my monitor (1680x1050px) I see about 50% brown background.


Would you be able to attach a screenshot please? I'm just curious how it looks on bigger monitors (mine isn't that big).
Tina Smith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 21, 2011
Posts: 171
    
    5

The screenshot's attached. Hopefully it shows up like Paul's screenshot at the beginning of this post....



[Thumbnail for new_look_and_feel.jpg]

Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
163

Thank you, that helps and I see what you mean.
Rob Crowther
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 06, 2012
Posts: 295
    
    5

Another vote for a more responsive design, or at least larger default width.

Also, as Albareto mentioned, the lack of the link back to the sub-forum makes the new look basically unusable for me at present. The sooner you can get that rolled out the better.


Read my books: Hello! HTML5 & CSS3 | HTML5 in Action | Read my blog
Palak Mathur
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 29, 2007
Posts: 313

Hi,

The screenshot that Paul has posted is quite different from the look and feel that I see on my screen. The brown outer cover is not visible in screenshot while it is there in actual beta release. It would be great if it can be removed and the width of the actual posts increased. Currently, most of my screen space is getting wasted.
Palak Mathur
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 29, 2007
Posts: 313

Palak Mathur wrote:Hi,

The screenshot that Paul has posted is quite different from the look and feel that I see on my screen. The brown outer cover is not visible in screenshot while it is there in actual beta release. It would be great if it can be removed and the width of the actual posts increased. Currently, most of my screen space is getting wasted.


I wanted to edit my post but I think Edit option is also missing. I think you might be working on that as well. Hope to see it soon.

Another observation is that the button with the links to Java, Java JSRs etc have very small size of the fonts. Merely making it visible. The color combination used is making the words illegible.
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Posts: 3830
Hi,

I am not sure if some of it is already posted but let me put my feedback -

1. The new look and feel is very dark, has less area having useful content.
2. Most of the people use it at work so I think keeping it light (less attractive/less attention seeking) should be the key, IMO. Current is fine.

Will it be possible to run both versions? I think, no.

I'll personally prefer to use current look and feel.

Thanks.
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 38045
    
  22
Palak Mathur wrote: . . . I wanted to edit my post but I think Edit option is also missing. I think you might be working on that as well. Hope to see it soon. . . .
Unlikely.

We have a policy of restricting editing after a post has been visible for any length of time. Ans sorry for not noticing your post earlier.
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
163

ankur rathi wrote:

Will it be possible to run both versions? I think, no.


We won't be maintaining two different look and feel forever. But your feedback, which has been one of the most requested changes for the beta look, are being considered and will be taken into account when we publish our next set of changes for the beta view.
Saifuddin Merchant
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 08, 2009
Posts: 597

I miss the like button. Its not part of the new look and feel yet.
Thought that was a good feature & possibly should be expanded!


Cheers - Sam.
Twisters - The new age Java Quiz || My Blog
B. Katz
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 28, 2009
Posts: 51

Another vote for the link back to the sub-forum... but, personally, I like the new look.

The darker look is easier on my eyes. Thanks.

The thing I wonder about is what you have in mind for the new look on the Reply/Posting pages. I notice right now, it still reverts back to the old style for posting.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.


Regards,

B.Katz


"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
-- Galileo Galilei
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
163

B. Katz wrote:
The thing I wonder about is what you have in mind for the new look on the Reply/Posting pages. I notice right now, it still reverts back to the old style for posting.


Since the development is done by volunteers and since the amount of changes to change the whole site view are way too much, we decided to take it one "view" at a time. So currently only the topic view is being implemented for the new look and the other pages/views will be picked up as we progress.
 
 
subject: possible new look and feel