Bear Bibeault wrote:Are you running Tomcat standalone, or within the IDE?
Lots of blind alleys....another day shot due to Java configuration Bull****.
In any case, the problem was that I needed to substitute the "New" line below at the top of catalina.sh for what was there. You have to be careful since Tomcat puts another /bin in there for you automatically. Once I realized what was happening in the Echo, it was quickly fixed.
# export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home (Pointed to a 1.6 version of the JDK)
To answer your question, running it from Intellij worked fine since I suppose it manages things better. The problem happened trying to just run the simple Servlet directly in Tomcat. The JSP was fine, but not the Servlet.
In any case, I just got it working 2 minutes ago and logged back on to post this update in case it might help someone else not spend 7 hours pulling their hair out.