I am running a simple multi-agent framework using JADE and wanted my agent behaviour to run a text search in a directory of pdf files. The agents work fine (There are two agents, a main one that creates and passes folder location and query string to the secondary agent) and the text search (using JPedal) works (modified code from FindTextInRectangle.java - www.idrsolutions.com/how-to-search-a-pdf-file-for-text/ ). My problem comes when merging the two. I managed to get it working to the point where when the secondary agent launches, checks whether pdf files are present and at that point should start the search. When i added the other JPedal classes that index and decode the pdf files, the second agent fails to launch.