wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes IDEs, Version Control and other tools and the fly likes Anyone else affected by Atlassian's recent changes to OnDemand JIRA/Confluence hosting? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » IDEs, Version Control and other tools
Bookmark "Anyone else affected by Atlassian Watch "Anyone else affected by Atlassian New topic

Anyone else affected by Atlassian's recent changes to OnDemand JIRA/Confluence hosting?

Ulf Dittmer

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41085
My company uses Atlassian's OnDemand hosting for their JIRA and Confluence (Wiki) products. Recently they changed their pricing (along with, admittedly, some details of their hosting that provide us with no benefits), and now our monthly bill works out to be more than 50% higher for the same number of users. It would be 100% higher if we'd opted to keep the GreenHopper agile tool which was previously included in the mix, but which we dropped when notified of the pricing change. According to Atlassian's customer service, 90% of their customers love the new pricing (presumably because they pay less), but I'm having a hard time seeing us being so special as to fall into the remaining 10%. Has anyone else been affected by this change? What have your experiences with Atlassian's customer service been?

The sole reason we're seeing such a higher bill is that -with about 120 users- we need to opt into the 500 users tier instead of the 100 users tier that also exists. According to Atlassian's customer service, no additional tiers in between will be implemented anytime soon, certainly not "unless there is a business case for it". Given this attitude, there will likely never be a business case for this, as customers in a similar position to us will likely opt for competing products.

I'd love to hear your comments or similar stories and experiences.

Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Jayesh A Lalwani

Joined: Jan 17, 2008
Posts: 2272

I wasn't aware of the price change because we host our own JIRA. I love Atlassian, but, bracketed pricing schemes piss me off. Why can;t they use a progressive scheme? Basically, first 100 users pay $A, then 100-500 users pay $b per user; 500-1000 users pay $c per user and so on. They can still make the same amount of money without screwing with the client that has 101 users. Practically, the way they have it now, the clients at the bottom range of the bracket are subsidizing the clients at the top range of the bracket, which makes no sense
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
subject: Anyone else affected by Atlassian's recent changes to OnDemand JIRA/Confluence hosting?
Similar Threads
So how would you prevent offshoring of US jobs
Atlassian announces Confluence 1.0 � the professional wiki
WebSphere Integration Event Broker
CodeFutures Q3 Results Show Accelerated Market Demand for Java Code Generator
Welcome Riyad Kalla