aspose file tools*
The moose likes Beginning Java and the fly likes Problems after JAVA update Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Beginning Java
Bookmark "Problems after JAVA update" Watch "Problems after JAVA update" New topic
Author

Problems after JAVA update

Levente Kovacs
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 20, 2013
Posts: 7
Hi!

After I installed the Java 7 Update 15 nothing works on my PC. No Java programs, Eclipse doesn't runs. Any idea?
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Joined: Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 7803
    
  21

Levente Kovacs wrote:After I installed the Java 7 Update 15 nothing works on my PC. No Java programs, Eclipse doesn't runs. Any idea?

I don't know, but it may have something to do with the latest security problem. Check here for more details. I believe updates since then have simply turned several "Java-y" things off by default.

But it could also be something completely different.

Winston

Isn't it funny how there's always time and money enough to do it WRONG?
Articles by Winston can be found here
Mansukhdeep Thind
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Posts: 1157

That is why I still prefer to use Java 6.


~ Mansukh
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 38865
    
  23
And how did yo update your system PATH?
Levente Kovacs
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 20, 2013
Posts: 7
Winston Gutkowski wrote:
Levente Kovacs wrote:After I installed the Java 7 Update 15 nothing works on my PC. No Java programs, Eclipse doesn't runs. Any idea?

I don't know, but it may have something to do with the latest security problem. Check here for more details. I believe updates since then have simply turned several "Java-y" things off by default.

But it could also be something completely different.

Winston


Ok. I simply uninstalled the update. Now it works.
Mansukhdeep Thind
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Posts: 1157

This is why I am a firm believer that, for constructive development, source code should always be free. No disrespect meant to the guys at Oracle, but I personally believe that since it has become a proprietary product, major screw ups have started happening. Just to give an example(and this is not made up), our customers at RENAULT, P&G, Dana, Boeing etc..) all had the same thing to say- "We don't want to port our application to Java 7. Period. ". They refused to upgrade the platform simply because new version is pretty unstable. The fact of the matter is, as long as we were developing on Java 5(even Java 6), there were very less maintenance issues to worry about, scalability was good, transaction TAT were much better and customers were happy. Anyways, whoever at Oracle made this decision thinks otherwise.
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 38865
    
  23
Companies often like to be two versions out‑of‑date for everything. They are scared that moving to the new version might break their systems even temporarily. If somebody tells them Java7 is unstable, they will believe it implicitly, whether it is true or false.
I would discount reports that companies are reluctant to move to Java7.
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Joined: Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 7803
    
  21

Mansukhdeep Thind wrote:No disrespect meant to the guys at Oracle, but I personally believe that since it has become a proprietary product, major screw ups have started happening.

The fact is that it has always been a proprietary product (just ask Microsoft). The question is: how is Oracle managing it? First impressions would suggest 'not well'. Sun managed 6 releases of Java with nary a problem (certainly no 'zero-day' bugs).

Now, there may be many reasons for this; not least of which might be:
  • their agenda for the language as a whole (I love conspiracy theories )
  • pressure to implement changes offered by other competing languages
  • But there's no doubt that this has been a cock-up of major proportions.

    All that said, I'm with you: VERY glad that I haven't started using v7. If it had included JSR-310, I easily might have.

    @Levente: I hope you read the caveat to my first post. What Campbell posted may well be the problem.

    Winston
    Campbell Ritchie
    Sheriff

    Joined: Oct 13, 2005
    Posts: 38865
        
      23
    And you haven’t answered what I said in my first post: what is the PATH?
     
    I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
     
    subject: Problems after JAVA update