aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Why should we learn Fibonacci series? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Why should we learn Fibonacci series?" Watch "Why should we learn Fibonacci series?" New topic
Author

Why should we learn Fibonacci series?

chaitanya karthikk
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 806

Hi all, I had this question in mind from many days. Why should we learn fibonacci series? While in college we had this in our syllabus. Write a java program to print Fibonacci series till N. Where N is a number.

Not only this, we even had java program to check whether given number is armstrong or not (153 for example).

I wonder why should we learn them. I dint use any of them till now. Can anyone please tell me what is it real purpose.

Thank you, good day.


Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14156
    
  19

It's not because the Fibonacci series is useful in everyday life as a business software developer, but because it's an interesting mathematical thing and something simple which you can use to learn what recursion is (it's often used as an exercise to learn to write a recursive program).


Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
chaitanya karthikk
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 806

Jesper de Jong wrote:It's not because the Fibonacci series is useful in everyday life as a business software developer, but because it's an interesting mathematical thing and something simple which you can use to learn what recursion is (it's often used as an exercise to learn to write a recursive program).
Okay, thank you. But what is the use of Fibonacci series in real life?
chaitanya karthikk
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 806

Jesper de Jong wrote:It's not because the Fibonacci series is useful in everyday life as a business software developer, but because it's an interesting mathematical thing and something simple which you can use to learn what recursion is (it's often used as an exercise to learn to write a recursive program).
Okay, thank you. But what is the use of Fibonacci series in real life?

PS: I mean its mathematical importance
Joanne Neal
Rancher

Joined: Aug 05, 2005
Posts: 3568
    
  15
chaitanya karthikk wrote:
Jesper de Jong wrote:It's not because the Fibonacci series is useful in everyday life as a business software developer, but because it's an interesting mathematical thing and something simple which you can use to learn what recursion is (it's often used as an exercise to learn to write a recursive program).
Okay, thank you. But what is the use of Fibonacci series in real life?

Did you click on that link in Jesper's post ?


Joanne
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2001
Posts: 1746
    
    2
We have a small running joke about Fibonacci numbers at my work.

We use "powers of two" for estimating time on story cards: a 1-hour card, 2-hour, 4-hour, 8-hour, etc. At a meeting with some business analysts on the topic of whether they wanted us to record actual time spent in addition to estimates, one of the BSAs asked, "Well if you record actuals, are you going to stick to those numbers you use for estimating -- what are they? Fibonacci numbers?" So the joke became that we would continue to estimate in powers of two, but record actuals with Fibonacci numbers. In the end it they decided not to have us record actuals, so the point became moot. But we still make the occasional joke about the 5- or 13- hour story card. Or when struggling to make an estimate, pick some value between the powers of two we're debating between and wonder loudly if it's a Fibonacci number and whether we should switch to the Fibonacci series for estimating.
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18847
    
  40

Joanne Neal wrote:
chaitanya karthikk wrote:
Jesper de Jong wrote:It's not because the Fibonacci series is useful in everyday life as a business software developer, but because it's an interesting mathematical thing and something simple which you can use to learn what recursion is (it's often used as an exercise to learn to write a recursive program).
Okay, thank you. But what is the use of Fibonacci series in real life?

Did you click on that link in Jesper's post ?


I find the usage of these "golden numbers" in the real world very interesting. Lots of things are "3 by 5" or "5 by 8" -- it is like designers are using these numbers in a Feng Shui sort of way...

Henry


Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
chaitanya karthikk
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 806

Joanne Neal wrote:
chaitanya karthikk wrote:
Jesper de Jong wrote:It's not because the Fibonacci series is useful in everyday life as a business software developer, but because it's an interesting mathematical thing and something simple which you can use to learn what recursion is (it's often used as an exercise to learn to write a recursive program).
Okay, thank you. But what is the use of Fibonacci series in real life?

Did you click on that link in Jesper's post ?
Yeah I read that link. It speaks about the histroy of fibonacci series, its occurrences in nature and some mathematical things. However I am not a mathematical expert and could not understand it. I want to know the applications of fibonacci series in computer applications.
Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2005
Posts: 1527
chaitanya karthikk wrote: Can anyone please tell me what is it real purpose.

because they ask about it it in a fresher's interview.


Keep Smiling Always — My life is smoother when running silent. -paul
[FAQs] [Certification Guides] [The Linux Documentation Project]
chaitanya karthikk
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 806

Akhilesh Trivedi wrote:
chaitanya karthikk wrote: Can anyone please tell me what is it real purpose.

because they ask about it it in a fresher's interview.
lolz
Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2008
Posts: 5575

to ask question *Why should we learn Fibonacci series* - thinking ability ...
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Joined: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 11320
    
  16

Because you can't ask a freshman student to write a program that manages a stock exchange.

There is a LOT to learn when you are just starting out. You want the student spend their time learning about programming things, not what he or she is trying to model. So, you find something that is easy to understand (it probably takes about 10 minutes to understand a fibonacci series), and then the student can focus on learning how to code.

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 05, 2008
Posts: 3014
    
  10
Michael Matola wrote:We have a small running joke about Fibonacci numbers at my work.

We use "powers of two" for estimating time on story cards: a 1-hour card, 2-hour, 4-hour, 8-hour, etc. At a meeting with some business analysts on the topic of whether they wanted us to record actual time spent in addition to estimates, one of the BSAs asked, "Well if you record actuals, are you going to stick to those numbers you use for estimating -- what are they? Fibonacci numbers?" So the joke became that we would continue to estimate in powers of two, but record actuals with Fibonacci numbers. In the end it they decided not to have us record actuals, so the point became moot. But we still make the occasional joke about the 5- or 13- hour story card. Or when struggling to make an estimate, pick some value between the powers of two we're debating between and wonder loudly if it's a Fibonacci number and whether we should switch to the Fibonacci series for estimating.


And for those who don't know, Fibonacci numbers are used for estimation under some methodologies - see Planning Poker. Often the numbers used are not strictly Fibonacci numbers, but mostly Fibonacci numbers with a few others thrown in. There's not really a good reason for this, other than that (a) it discourages over-precision, and (b) it's more fine-grained than the powers-of-two approach. And (c) at larger values they round off the values away from the Fibonacci values, just to keep the math simpler. I'm sure they could have found other sequences with similar properties, but Fibonacci series are familiar to many programmers, so why not?
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2001
Posts: 1746
    
    2
Mike Simmons wrote:And for those who don't know, Fibonacci numbers are used for estimation under some methodologies - see Planning Poker.


Cool. Obviously I didn't know this.
chaitanya karthikk
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 806

Thanks all for the responses. At least I came to know that Fibonacci series is used in Agile. Indeed we use agile here, since I am not a scrum master I dint know about this till now.
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14156
    
  19

The Man of Numbers: Fibonacci's Arithmetic Revolution
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Joined: Aug 11, 2007
Posts: 4658
    
    5

Because they happen in nature. A lot of photographic composition is based on the golden ratio, which is a Fibonacci series. See
http://photofocus.com/2013/03/01/fibonacci-nautilus-shells-and-photography/
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2001
Posts: 1746
    
    2
So if you ever meet young Poesy Emmeline Fibonacci Nautilus Taylor Doctorow, you can have an informed conversation with her about her name.
Frank Silbermann
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Posts: 1387
Another reason for learning about Fibonacci numbers is because the name is so funny.

The discipline of statistics also has funny names, such as the hospital rule and the poison distribution problem.
Ivan Jozsef Balazs
Rancher

Joined: May 22, 2012
Posts: 867
    
    5
Frank Silbermann wrote:
The discipline of statistics also has funny names, such as the hospital rule and the poison distribution problem.


Actually L'Hôpital and Poisson are persons' names - a circumstance surely known to Frank but not forcibly to any visitor.
 
permaculture playing cards
 
subject: Why should we learn Fibonacci series?