File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes XML and Related Technologies and the fly likes how to create 3D data Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » XML and Related Technologies
Bookmark "how to create 3D data" Watch "how to create 3D data" New topic
Author

how to create 3D data

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
Hi All,

i am just curious to know if is there any way to create 3D data for testing?

Thanks,
Punit
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
or if there any tool for that?
More precisely, so far we are creating data (2d data), using xml's and loading that to our product and testing our application.
now we need for 3d data to test our application, so is there any way to create 3d data?
William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
Rancher

Joined: Mar 22, 2000
Posts: 12675
    
    5
I really don't understand what the problem is.

What does your XML that creates "2D" data look like?

What is reading this data?

Bill

Java Resources at www.wbrogden.com
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
William Brogden wrote:I really don't understand what the problem is.

What does your XML that creates "2D" data look like?

What is reading this data?

Bill


I am sorry 2d doesn't suit here.
let me summarize again.

so far we have data, which is in text format representation, now we need data in graphical format also or some 3d data.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39547
    
  27
There are any number of ways in which you can store 3D data in a file. Do you have a particular format in mind, maybe as an input for some application? I'm not clear on what specific problem you're facing.


Ping & DNS - updated with new look and Ping home screen widget
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
Ulf Dittmer wrote:There are any number of ways in which you can store 3D data in a file. Do you have a particular format in mind, maybe as an input for some application? I'm not clear on what specific problem you're facing.


yes as our all data is in xml format, it should also be because eventually we are appending this 3d data to our existing one, by format you mean by this, right?

Thanks.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39547
    
  27
By "format" I mean "file format", yes. I'm not sure what it is about 3D file formats that you're asking, though.
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
can't a 3d file format could be xml or csv, i am asking for that only.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39547
    
  27
Yes, that's possible.
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
okay, but that is wanted to know how to create that?
i don't know how to actually create 3d data?
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39547
    
  27
That goes back to the original question of what, exactly, you're trying to do. "Create 3D data" could mean various different things, especially as you mix it up with the storage of 3D data in a file format. What, exactly, do you have, and what, exactly, would you like to accomplish?

Storing 3D data could be as simple as this:

There are any number of libraries that can create XML, or you just write it directly to a text file if the format is simple.
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
Ulf Dittmer wrote:That goes back to the original question of what, exactly, you're trying to do. "Create 3D data" could mean various different things, especially as you mix it up with the storage of 3D data in a file format. What, exactly, do you have, and what, exactly, would you like to accomplish?

Storing 3D data could be as simple as this:

There are any number of libraries that can create XML, or you just write it directly to a text file if the format is simple.


i am sorry, i misinterpret your question i think.
lt me give you an example.
let say i have code to make a pen, now i need to test that, for that i have data such as (pen cover, refill, cap etc), all are in text format.
now i need that pen in graphics format or more precisely all the components (pen cover, refill, cap etc), of that pen in graphics component.
is that make any sense?

Thanks.
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
However i have no idea how using xml i can create a pen or any 3d image, in graphical format?
or if you could just let me give nay simple example of how can i draw something using xml's?
William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
Rancher

Joined: Mar 22, 2000
Posts: 12675
    
    5
You seem to be confusing two different things, creating data and formatting it in XML.

One would use a 3D drawing program to create 3D data and the drawing program would be able to save that in some format, probably not the XML format you want.

You would need a second process to reformat the data to your desired XML.

So, first step is to have a 3D capable drawing program.... right? Do you have one?

Bill
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39547
    
  27
It actually sounds as if you're conflating even more issues. Are you asking how to draw something on the screen?
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
William Brogden wrote:You seem to be confusing two different things, creating data and formatting it in XML.

One would use a 3D drawing program to create 3D data and the drawing program would be able to save that in some format, probably not the XML format you want.

You would need a second process to reformat the data to your desired XML.

So, first step is to have a 3D capable drawing program.... right? Do you have one?

Bill


No i don't have 3d capable drawing program
could you please give me a simple example?
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
Ulf Dittmer wrote:It actually sounds as if you're conflating even more issues. Are you asking how to draw something on the screen?


So basically to draw 3d data, i will need code which would some 3d images on the screen?
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39547
    
  27
Not images - the usual approach is an API that knows how to create 3D images from objects; something like Java3D (now a dead end) or JOGL (the Java binding of the OpenGL API).
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
humm, to get better understanding i would need any simple example or any source for 3d programming using xml or something what i want.

Thanks.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39547
    
  27
Where does XML enter the picture? What does it have to do with 3D programming?

I can't tell whether you were asking for examples of 3D programming code, but there are plenty of Java3D and JOGL example codes out there if you search for them.
William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
Rancher

Joined: Mar 22, 2000
Posts: 12675
    
    5
Google Sketchup is a free 3d creation program.

This YouTube video shows how it is used.

Bill
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
William Brogden wrote:Google Sketchup is a free 3d creation program.

This YouTube video shows how it is used.

Bill

that's awesome...
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
well eventually i need 3d data, and for that i need to write some code using java3d which will generate and gives me 3d data, (ie. xml for pen for example)
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39547
    
  27
It would help if you answered the questions that have been asked of you. What is "XML of pen"? What does XML have to do with 3D data or 3D drawing? You have to help us help you.
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Posts: 931
ohh i got it.
here is what i think.
a simple example:
1.> i need to write a code (say, to draw a pen).
2.> Then i need to generate it's coordinates in xml file.
3.> And if i need to test it i can load data from that xml into my program.

right?
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: how to create 3D data
 
Similar Threads
Lost between hundreds of womans
Should i use java 3d API
want any api which draw a ready made graphs chart 3d
OpenGL ES coverage?
WA #1.....word association