my dog learned polymorphism*
The moose likes HTML, CSS and JavaScript and the fly likes jquery and rest services Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » HTML, CSS and JavaScript
Bookmark "jquery and rest services" Watch "jquery and rest services" New topic
Author

jquery and rest services

sam bartl
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 29, 2010
Posts: 44
Can we create rich ui pages just with jquery and rest services? I am planning on building a simple site with basic curd operations to manage few tables, and wondering if just jquery and rest services can do everything ?
all I care is some forms to create data with validation check , then grid to display data ?

Please advice and are there any framaeworks which integrate java, jsp, jquery ? I dont want to use all complex gwt, jsf or anyother framework, just a java script framework , html and java backend.


Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61766
    
  67

sam bartl wrote:Can we create rich ui pages just with jquery and rest services?

Absolutely. In fact that's a strong trend in the industry.

Please advice and are there any framaeworks which integrate java, jsp, jquery ?

OK, now I'm confused. If what you asked above is what you want to do, then where does Java and JSP come into the picture?

Whether the REST service is written in Java or not is completely irrelevant. And if you are creating purely client-side pages, there's no JSP or Java needed for the views.

What you might want to consider are client-side JavaScript MVC frameworks -- most of which use or support jQuery -- such as Backbone, Ember or Angular.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
sam bartl
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 29, 2010
Posts: 44
Bear Bibeault wrote:
sam bartl wrote:Can we create rich ui pages just with jquery and rest services?

Absolutely. In fact that's a strong trend in the industry.

Please advice and are there any framaeworks which integrate java, jsp, jquery ?

OK, now I'm confused. If what you asked above is what you want to do, then where does Java and JSP come into the picture?

Whether the REST service is written in Java or not is completely irrelevant. And if you are creating purely client-side pages, there's no JSP or Java needed for the views.

What you might want to consider are client-side JavaScript MVC frameworks -- most of which use or support jQuery -- such as Backbone, Ember or Angular.


What I meant is If I use plain html and have couple of html files then I have to rewrite the css , js files , header in every html page I cannot have includes like jsp includes in html , please advice when writing plain html how can I include them ,does any of the javascript mvc framework provides that?
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61766
    
  67

sam bartl wrote:What I meant is If I use plain html and have couple of html files then I have to rewrite the css , js files , header in every html page

Nope. That's not the way client-side web apps are written. Usually such apps are what are known as SPAs (single-page applications) where the main page with all its boilerplate is loaded once, and the primary content is replaced as needed.

Linking and bookmarking are usually provided by "deep linking" which is hard to roll on your own; hence the suggestion to investigate the client-side frameworks if you want to head in this direction.

Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61766
    
  67

P.S. Of the mentioned frameworks, I personally (subjectively) find AngularJS promising, and well-documented.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: jquery and rest services