I passed part one of the SCEA/OCMJEA with 73%. I am quite happy with my result as I was extremely tired, having slept only 2 hours the night before.
The exam is quite hard indeed. You don't only need to know the subjects but also need to be able to apply this knowledge to a very specific business case and to be able to spot minute nuances between the given answers you need to select from.
I did spend a fair amount of time preparing for the exam. I already have certifications in "Java Web Component Developer" and "Java Business Component Developer", so naturally my main effort went onto areas I wasn't that familiar with:
- Web Services, Messaging and Integration
- Design patterns - Read both recommended books and made good notes
- Security - OReilly's Java Security 2nd edition
- One source I found very useful is this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/25297376/J2EE-5-Architect-Exam-Study-Guide - I did most of the tests in Amritendu De's "Oracle Certified Master, Jave EE Entrerprise Architect Practice Guide"
- and of course I read and did the sample questions in Cade and Sheil's study guide
Thanks for the helpful messages and support of this forum.
Good luck to every one that is studying for the test
SCJP 5.0, SCWCD, SCBCD, Oracle Certified Master Enterprise Architect