aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Queen of a laundromat Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Queen of a laundromat" Watch "Queen of a laundromat" New topic
Author

Queen of a laundromat

Martha Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 24, 2008
Posts: 130
Looking for the best way to spend your enormous paycheck? Yeah, thought so.

Well, here is a current project on KickStarter that look interesting (to me): QUEEN MIMI

Worth financing? No?
Myke Enriq
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 13, 2012
Posts: 115
This is inefficient. We have food to give to that woman , but children are dying of starvation in various parts of the world.
We have 30.000$ to donate for a movie , but we have no $ to start up a business that can produce something.

The life of a homeless if made pain and misery. To be cheerful in that situation means to be sick enough not to realize your situation.
That woman urgently needs a doctor to cure her dementia , not a TV crew to turn her into a role model.

And the 250 people who donated 30.000$. Those are the sickest ones, they want so hard to believe that life is easy that they are willing to part with 120$ each to fuel this delusion.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 42292
    
  64
Have you been homeless, so that you know how it feels, and also know how it would be "sick" to ever be cheerful in that situation?

"Cure dementia". Wow. Any other delusions you subscribe to?

I sure hope you have donated $120 to help start businesses, because if you haven't, the post just says "let me tell other people what to do even though I don't do it myself".


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Tony Docherty
Bartender

Joined: Aug 07, 2007
Posts: 2318
    
  49
Myke Enriq wrote:This is inefficient. We have food to give to that woman , but children are dying of starvation in various parts of the world.
We have 30.000$ to donate for a movie , but we have no $ to start up a business that can produce something.

The life of a homeless if made pain and misery. To be cheerful in that situation means to be sick enough not to realize your situation.
That woman urgently needs a doctor to cure her dementia , not a TV crew to turn her into a role model.

And the 250 people who donated 30.000$. Those are the sickest ones, they want so hard to believe that life is easy that they are willing to part with 120$ each to fuel this delusion.

Setting oneself up as the arbitor of the best use of another person's money is an interesting standpoint. You know nothing about the people who have donated to fund the project (they may well give more to help starving children than you ever do) and yet you feel you can criticize their choices - interesting.

And accusing a homeless lady who you've probably never even met of having a mental disorder just because she is cheerful shows a lack of understanding of human nature. Being happy in oneself is not the same as being happy with the situation one is in.
Myke Enriq
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 13, 2012
Posts: 115
I can clearly see this is a delicate issue with some people.

Let me ask you this, if anyone here is a father , if not please imagine that you are one , and imagine that your child will be the one amongst millions that will watch this now upcoming movie:
Would you child be better off if he sees a homeless person being happy , or if he sees a homeless person crying and suffering in horrible pain and regretting the poor life choices she took that got her there ?

I know that I may seem a bit cruel for not sympathising with the homeless or the people that actually believe a homeless could be happy and not in pain , but:
1) we live in a world where there is not enough food for all
2) if a useless homeless in Canada receives food, a child in Africa or some other part of the world dies of starvation

It is very simple actually. Having said that there are a trillion more usefull for society ways to better invest that money. Why not give those 30.000 to a top of the class high school graduate that can not afford college ? Why not give it to a medical or science lab that is actually doing something to improve this world ? Why not start a small business that will produce something of value ?


And last but not least , realise that you and I are the ones paying the cost of homeless people. By that I mean that the government takes around half of everyone's paycheck , to give food shelter and clothes to these homeless.... monthly. And if I refuse to pay taxes , at some point men with guns come and chain me away to a prison.

So, since I do get out of bed and work 4 hours a day for all the parasites of our society, by force and not by free will... should I not feel cheated when I see homeless people liking to be homeless and not doing anything to stop being a burden on society anymore ?


Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18896
    
  40

Myke Enriq wrote:
I know that I may seem a bit cruel for not sympathising with the homeless or the people that actually believe a homeless could be happy and not in pain , but:
1) we live in a world where there is not enough food for all
2) if a useless homeless in Canada receives food, a child in Africa or some other part of the world dies of starvation


Sorry. I am not a believer that the zero-sum-game theory applies to everything. In fact, IMO, there are probably more cases where it doesn't apply than where it does apply.

And definitely ... community building is not a case of a zero-sum-game.

Henry

Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
Myke Enriq
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 13, 2012
Posts: 115
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that nearly 870 million people, or one in eight people in the world, were suffering from chronic undernourishment in 2010-2012.

http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18675
    
    8

Myke Enriq wrote:So, since I do get out of bed and work 4 hours a day for all the parasites of our society, by force and not by free will... should I not feel cheated when I see homeless people liking to be homeless and not doing anything to stop being a burden on society anymore ?


I think you made a poor life choice. If you had simply chosen to earn twice as much as you do now, you wouldn't have this problem. But here you are complaining about something which is completely your own fault.

Oh well, at least you aren't happy about it. It would be wrong for you to be happy, wouldn't it? You should be regretting your poor life choice 100% of the time.
Tony Docherty
Bartender

Joined: Aug 07, 2007
Posts: 2318
    
  49
Would you child be better off if he sees a homeless person being happy , or if he sees a homeless person crying and suffering in horrible pain and regretting the poor life choices she took that got her there ?

You are missing the point of the video. It's not to show that homeless people are happy but rather it is show that even when you have lost everything you should not lose hope and by working hard and never giving up your can succeed. A great message to give your children.

2) if a useless homeless in Canada receives food, a child in Africa or some other part of the world dies of starvation

And if you feed a child in Africa, a child in Europe will die at the hands of abusive parents or a child somewhere else in the world will die of thirst or through lack of shelter etc. Every choice you make in helping one person means someone else isn't helped and so suffers.

So, since I do get out of bed and work 4 hours a day for all the parasites of our society, by force and not by free will... should I not feel cheated when I see homeless people liking to be homeless and not doing anything to stop being a burden on society anymore ?

No you don't work 4 hours a day for parasites.
Firstly, most of the money taken from you in taxes goes to running the country, schools, roads, social/health care, armed forces and/or whatever else your country's government does for people like you.
Secondly, you are assuming all homeless people are there by choice, they are not. I've worked with homeless people and can assure you that in many cases people are there through tragic circumstances and once you are living on the street it is incredibly difficult to get off it. I've met young people living rough to escape abusive parents, middle aged business men whose companies have gone bust and in the fallout have lost their marriage as well, people who have had nervous break downs through pressure of work etc etc. These people definitely did not want to be living on the street.
Finally the lady in the video does not fit the profile you are peddling, she worked and lived for 18 years in a laundromat to try and get off the street.
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18896
    
  40

First of all, great responses from Tony and Paul -- loved the somewhat sarcastic remarks interlaced into the responses... ... which BTW, I thought was hilarious. Yeah, I know, the topic is serious, but gotta laugh at life sometimes.

Myke Enriq wrote:The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that nearly 870 million people, or one in eight people in the world, were suffering from chronic undernourishment in 2010-2012.

http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm


Anyway, Myke, not sure of your response -- are you trying to prove that hunger exists? Cause if you were, that wasn't the point I was making. I already accepted that premise. My point was that hunger is a problem that can be solved -- and tasks that bring attention to it, actually attention to any problem, can ultimately start actions that leads to a solution.

I merely disagreed with your premise, in that hunger can't be solved. Your statements implied that there will always be hunger -- and any action that helps one person just means that another will go hungry. And that, an action that brings attention to the problem is no different than just a handout.

Henry
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
 
subject: Queen of a laundromat