aspose file tools*
The moose likes General Computing and the fly likes Tail Linux log file from Windows desktop Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » General Computing
Bookmark "Tail Linux log file from Windows desktop" Watch "Tail Linux log file from Windows desktop" New topic
Author

Tail Linux log file from Windows desktop

Jehan Jaleel
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 30, 2002
Posts: 196
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys know of any tool that will let me tail Linux log file from my Windows desktop. Even though I am a Java Developer (I do feel more comfortable in Windows environment than Linux, yes I know I should be ashamed of myself ).

So right now there is a log file sitting on our Linux serer and to view it I have to log in through Winscp and download that mammoth onto my desktop, or else I have to log in through Putty and fumble through linux commands. Is there any easier way for guys like me?

Thanks for any help/
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jun 25, 2001
Posts: 16305
    
  21

You can install cygwin on Windows and it will provide a "mini-linux" environment where you can use not only tail, but most of the other popular command-line utilities.

Or if you did a bit, you will probably find a version of tail for Windows itself. Long before I ever heard of Linux, I was running a lot of Unix utilities that the GNU folks had ported to CP/M. Meaning even before PC-DOS/MS-DOS.


Customer surveys are for companies who didn't pay proper attention to begin with.
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 19073
    
  40

Jehan Jaleel wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if you guys know of any tool that will let me tail Linux log file from my Windows desktop. Even though I am a Java Developer (I do feel more comfortable in Windows environment than Linux, yes I know I should be ashamed of myself ).

So right now there is a log file sitting on our Linux serer and to view it I have to log in through Winscp and download that mammoth onto my desktop, or else I have to log in through Putty and fumble through linux commands. Is there any easier way for guys like me?


Isn't that the purpose of shell scripts? Or in Windows speak -- batch files? You only have to "fumble" though the commands a few more times, as you teach the computer how to do it automatically. On the Linux side, write a shell script that does all of the stuff to tail and save the results. On the Windows side, write a batch file that uses putty to log in and runs the shell script.

Then the whole thing is done with a one line command.... of course, I am a fan of Linux (and windows) and don't mind fumbling -- after all, repetition is the best way train your muscle memory.

Henry


Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
Jehan Jaleel
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 30, 2002
Posts: 196
Tim Holloway wrote:You can install cygwin on Windows and it will provide a "mini-linux" environment where you can use not only tail, but most of the other popular command-line utilities.

Or if you did a bit, you will probably find a version of tail for Windows itself. Long before I ever heard of Linux, I was running a lot of Unix utilities that the GNU folks had ported to CP/M. Meaning even before PC-DOS/MS-DOS.


Tim,

Thanks for your response.

There are Windows tail programs like mTail. My dilemma is how to open the file sitting on a Linux server with a tail program running on my windows desktop. I can't simply map a network drive to it like I could were it a Windows server.

Thanks.
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jun 25, 2001
Posts: 16305
    
  21

Jehan Jaleel wrote:
Tim Holloway wrote:You can install cygwin on Windows and it will provide a "mini-linux" environment where you can use not only tail, but most of the other popular command-line utilities.

Or if you did a bit, you will probably find a version of tail for Windows itself. Long before I ever heard of Linux, I was running a lot of Unix utilities that the GNU folks had ported to CP/M. Meaning even before PC-DOS/MS-DOS.


Tim,

Thanks for your response.

There are Windows tail programs like mTail. My dilemma is how to open the file sitting on a Linux server with a tail program running on my windows desktop. I can't simply map a network drive to it like I could were it a Windows server.

Thanks.


Actually, you can map a Windows network drive to a linux fileshare. It's easier when Samba is doing the sharing and your native Windows networking drivers can access it, but you can get NFS clients for Windows as well.

For quick-and-dirty, however, this is how I'd do it from inside cygwin or a native Linux/Unix box:



Putty does come with a command-line program that can be used similarly, I think. Certainly the PuTTY pscp program works from the command prompt.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Tail Linux log file from Windows desktop