File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
Win a copy of Clojure in Action this week in the Clojure forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

IP Conflicts due to use of router

 
sashwat kumar padhy
Greenhorn
Posts: 20
Android Chrome Eclipse IDE
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
When i connect to the internet using my router, the ipv4 address is x.y.z.a,where as,when i use sites like whatismyip to verify my ip,they show a different ip!..I know there must be some configuration issues with the router settings,But if i make somehow the ip address Static(which i see from those sites),Could it be possible to accomplish connections with other computers using that ip? What's the benifit of using static ip?
 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Pie
Posts: 42966
73
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What you're seeing is most likely the difference between the internal address assigned by the router, and the external address assigned by your ISP. An internal address should be a private address like 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z.

The benefit of a static address (which would be assigned by your ISP) is that the external address would always be the same. Currently you're likely to get a different external IP address every time you connect. The benefit would be that your computer is always reachable under the same address (provided that all firewalls and routers in between let the traffic pass through).

I don't understand what the "conflict" is that you mention, though.
 
sashwat kumar padhy
Greenhorn
Posts: 20
Android Chrome Eclipse IDE
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ulf Dittmer wrote:

I don't understand what the "conflict" is that you mention, though.


I have developed a java program which has a server and a client program. The client program is needed to be run by my friend who is is a different city where as i would run the server program. This program works as long as i put the ip information as the internal ip address,in the client program.(inside the home network only) What i want is to have a single IP which can be used by the client program,anywhere over internet to run the client program.Without using servers isn't it possible? If no,then does free server providers like www.serversfree.com allow these facilities?
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 20835
75
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
sashwat kumar padhy wrote:
I have developed a java program which has a server and a client program. The client program is needed to be run by my friend who is is a different city where as i would run the server program. This program works as long as i put the ip information as the internal ip address,in the client program.(inside the home network only) What i want is to have a single IP which can be used by the client program,anywhere over internet to run the client program.Without using servers isn't it possible? If no,then does free server providers like www.serversfree.com allow these facilities?


First of all, what is the IP address of your machine??? Does start with 192.168.*.* ?? Does it start with 10.*.*.* ?? If you are, then your machine is not directly on the internet. It is on a private network (an intranet) and it uses a default gateway, which may also use a default gateway, until it gets to the machine or router that is on the internet.

In other words, when you go to one of those "what is my IP" sites, it is reporting the IP address of the machine on the internet -- which if you are on a private network, isn't the same as your machine.


Hosting services places their machines on the internet. Or forward the ports to the machines in the intranet.... if you are in a private network, and you want it accessible from the internet, then you too, will need to forward the port from the router to your machine.

Henry
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 20835
75
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hmmm.... it looks like I already explained this in your other topic.

http://www.coderanch.com/t/613674/java/java/Client-Server-Java-app


Ohh, and BTW, when I asked what is your IP address, I don't mean your router's address -- I mean what is the IP address of you machine. This can be gotten via ipconfig or ifconfig, depending on the OS.

Henry
 
sashwat kumar padhy
Greenhorn
Posts: 20
Android Chrome Eclipse IDE
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Henry Wong wrote:Hmmm.... it looks like I already explained this in your other topic.

http://www.coderanch.com/t/613674/java/java/Client-Server-Java-app



Henry you're a gem! Thanks man. I didn't know about the port forwarding concept. So was having issues there,with those ports. Now solved. I also learnt many new stuffs.."" Thanks again..""
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic