This week's book giveaway is in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum. We're giving away four copies of Refactoring for Software Design Smells: Managing Technical Debt and have Girish Suryanarayana, Ganesh Samarthyam & Tushar Sharma on-line! See this thread for details.
It is hard to tell if one antivirus program is better than the other.
The things I would consider in order of precedence is:
1) The cost of license per year.
2) Free upgrades for future version at no extra cost.
3) Resource intensiveness.
4) It has the tools you need often. Like some may need the shredder, others need the browser safety search plugin,etc.
5) Ease of use -> peace of mind.
6) Frequency of definition updates.
Then there is this rating of antivirus programs based on viruses they catch in the wild.