aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Hare Krishna Mantra seems to be famous in US Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Hare Krishna Mantra seems to be famous in US" Watch "Hare Krishna Mantra seems to be famous in US" New topic
Author

Hare Krishna Mantra seems to be famous in US

Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Hare Krishna Mantra seems to be famous in US.It seems to have benefitted thousands of people in US.Is it true that Hare Krishna Mantra is that effective? Even large temples in US/UK named Isckon has been built


http://www.lifesbizzare.blogspot.com || OCJP:81%
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 9995
    
    7

If mantras were really effective, everyone would live at beach houses with hot women around and drive Ferraris.
On a related note, I hear Justin Bieber seems to be famous in US as well.


[How to ask questions] [Donate a pint, save a life!] [Onff-turn it on!]
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18155
    
    8

Maneesh Godbole wrote:If mantras were really effective, everyone would live at beach houses with hot women around and drive Ferraris.


Yes, that's what the people running those temples are doing.
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 9995
    
    7

Paul Clapham wrote:
Maneesh Godbole wrote:If mantras were really effective, everyone would live at beach houses with hot women around and drive Ferraris.

Yes, that's what the people running those temples are doing.

Tell me about it.
When I was growing up, we became aware of Osho who had set up his Ashram in my home town. Cars, women, riches and what not...all by talking! From our perspective he had made it! That was the first time I realized the power of oratory. Now if I hadn't been punished so many times for talking in the class when I was in school, I would have had my own Ashram by now.
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

I dont knw about other temples.But what i observed in ISCKON is that they believe in Simple Living and High Thinking..the devotees include Managers,Engineers, Scientist they are away from materialistic things. Maneesh atleast visit one Isckon temple near to your locality and try it out. The Temples are humoungous and very enriching , youl not feel as a temple but as a big Palace and also the food is very great
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 9995
    
    7

Vishal Hegde wrote: Maneesh atleast visit one Isckon temple near to your locality and try it out.

Try what out? Why?
Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 13, 2010
Posts: 1268

Vishal Hegde wrote:I dont knw about other temples.But what i observed in ISCKON is that they believe in Simple Living and High Thinking..


That's why they're running billion dollar business in the name of God


No Kaustubh No Fun, Know Kaustubh Know Fun..
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

See in the name of God they are running billion dollar business that means they are improving millions of life.Also they have started Akshara Project which provides food to thousands of Munciplaity schools Under privileged Children.
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Maneesh as per Bagvad Geeta big houses ,girls etc are materialisic things...thats call maya.God cant force you to love you..its like putting gun on your Grlfrnds head and asking her to love her as a bf. Krishna wants people with pure devotion..
But he doesnt force people to do devotion. Thats what i heard in Sathsang :-) if you want to experience spiritual life beyond your intellectual life one should start medidation along with Hare Krishna chantimg all Good things will happen :-)
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 9995
    
    7

Oh but I love materialistic things! What matters to me is what I want, not what Krishna wants.

Do you realize Krishna was a prince? He lived in palaces and hobnobbed with the ruling dynasty and had all the kind of contacts with "pull". Non materialistic? Spiritual? I think not.
King Ashoka the Great was in a similar situation. Born to a royal family, he went on to wage wars and establish the biggest empire at his time. And then he advocated anti war, simple spiritual living.
Do you see a pattern here?
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

When I read the Bhagavad-gita I ask myself how God created the universe. Everything else appears to be superfluous. -- Albert Einstein.

Maneesh atleast start chanting 108 times Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna krishna hare hare.Hare Ram Hare Ram rama rama Hare hare minimum 108 times atleast for a month.In this period dont drink or smoke, avoid Non-Vegetarian foods, dont do Gambling try to wake up early and let me know if you feel somewhat different :-)
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39576
    
  27
In this period dont drink or smoke, avoid Non-Vegetarian foods, dont do Gambling try to wake up early

Chanting or no chanting, I would definitely feel different. But possibly not the "good" different.


Ping & DNS - updated with new look and Ping home screen widget
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18155
    
    8

Vishal Hegde wrote:When I read the Bhagavad-gita I ask myself how God created the universe. Everything else appears to be superfluous. -- Albert Einstein.


When you see something on the Internet which claims to be a quote by Einstein, it's very likely to be bogus. And so it is in this case: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Bhagavad_Gita
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 9995
    
    7

Vishal Hegde wrote:When I read the Bhagavad-gita I ask myself how God created the universe. Everything else appears to be superfluous. -- Albert Einstein.
Maneesh atleast start chanting 108 times Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna krishna hare hare.Hare Ram Hare Ram rama rama Hare hare minimum 108 times atleast for a month.In this period dont drink or smoke, avoid Non-Vegetarian foods, dont do Gambling try to wake up early and let me know if you feel somewhat different :-)

Whenever one does something different, obviously it seems different.
You need to come up with better reasoning for the kind of religious/spiritual crap you are trying to shove down my throat.
Chan Ag
Bartender

Joined: Sep 06, 2012
Posts: 839
    
  14
Chants are ok as long as they don't do it too loudly.




Ryan McGuire
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Posts: 989
    
    1
Maneesh Godbole wrote:...kind of religious/spiritual crap you are trying to shove down my throat.


Now now... play nice.
Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 13, 2010
Posts: 1268

Ryan McGuire wrote:
Maneesh Godbole wrote:...kind of religious/spiritual crap you are trying to shove down my throat.


Now now... play nice.


Yup play nice man, if you don't want it, don' take it
Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 13, 2010
Posts: 1268

Chan Ag wrote:Chants are ok as long as they don't do it too loudly.




Seems you're victim of crime
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Paul that seems to be a comment from unkniwn Source. Hare Krushna movement is spread in US, UK , Korea,Sweden,AustraliaLondon..almost every where in the western part...so why it is spreading like a Wild Fire...you can go in Youtube and search for the best schools devrloped by this people...Also they supply mid day meals to lower level schools all around India having the project named Akshaya Patra.. Definetely they are having huge positive vibrations hence they are able to accompilish this...
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 39576
    
  27
Vishal Hegde wrote:Paul that seems to be a comment from unkniwn Source.

Exactly. Which means that there is zero evidence that he ever said it. Which means you should not be going around pretending otherwise.
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Hi Ulf , what I meant was the guy who commented it as bogus has replied it in annonimity.That is not a valid proof. Even Mahatma Gandhi used to read Bhagvad Geeta.

Gandhi told-"When doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and I see not one ray of hope on the horizon, I turn to Bhagavad-gita and find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those who meditate on the Gita will derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day"
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18155
    
    8

Vishal Hegde wrote:Hi Ulf , what I meant was the guy who commented it as bogus has replied it in annonimity.That is not a valid proof.


No, the burden of proof is on the person claiming that Einstein said something which in real life he very probably wouldn't have said. The web is full of bogus quotes attributed to various famous people and it's easy for anybody to add one to that list. I could do that myself right now and then say "Prove me wrong if you can." As Gandhi said, "Everything in life is unimportant except truth."

Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9343
    
111

Vishal Hegde wrote:When I read the Bhagavad-gita I ask myself how God created the universe. Everything else appears to be superfluous. -- Albert Einstein.



Right. He also said:

In the 20th century, a lot of quotes on the internet will be attributed to me. Don't believe it just because it's got my name -- Albert Einstein


[My Blog] [JavaRanch Journal]
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Hmmmmmm..... I get it. Quotes can be bogus. But still I feel, Bhagvad Geeta which is equivalent to Holy Bible or Kuran...can help us to see, hear and do Good things.As this so claimed Maha Mantra is there,there is no loss in trying it....I have just starte...If it really helps I will continue and develop into an habit...
Amit Ghorpade
Bartender

Joined: Jun 06, 2007
Posts: 2713
    
    5

Vishal Hegde wrote:there is no loss in trying it

Well IMHO, for anyone who does not believe in something, there is no point in trying it. It wastes his/her time.
Faith is just like any other choice or taste, so if you know you don't like the taste of cockroaches or other insects, it is not worth trying.

Disclaimer: I am not commenting on eating insects in any way. I have just provided it as a an example.


SCJP, SCWCD.
|Asking Good Questions|
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

I do believe in the Supreme energy.People name and define it diffrntly based on religion. If i believe in Supreme cosmic energy that means that I definetly do have faith :-)
Gaurang Rathod
Greenhorn

Joined: Oct 30, 2012
Posts: 22

Hey Vishal Hegde, I am great fan of Iskcon too. I believe in its philosophy. Those who don't , well they don't know the philosophy.

Those who are interested to learn Iskcon philosophy or gain some basic spiritual knowledge, please do visit: Iskcon desire tree.

By the way, those who are interested in only materialistic enjoyments, they have no idea how much more blissful is spiritual enjoyment.
Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 13, 2010
Posts: 1268

Gaurang Rathod wrote:Hey Vishal Hegde, I am great fan of Iskcon too. I believe in its philosophy. Those who don't , well they don't know the philosophy.

Those who are interested to learn Iskcon philosophy or gain some basic spiritual knowledge, please do visit: Iskcon desire tree.

By the way, those who are interested in only materialistic enjoyments, they have no idea how much more blissful is spiritual enjoyment.


Culture. religion faith are worth, till they are not by any force or fear... We get this things by birth and by saying only that mine is best doesn't make sense to me... First I need to understand each of everthing and then only I can make any conclusion.. So IMHO these options should be put open for everyone, it should be his/her choice to adopt or reject it... and incase if you don't want anything from it, there's always an atheism way to do it
Gaurang Rathod
Greenhorn

Joined: Oct 30, 2012
Posts: 22

I agree Kaustubh that religion should not be accepted by force. And I dont say that Iskcon is the ONLY way to go as far as spirituality is concerned.
Moreover, you can't (nor can any human) make a conclusion which religion is best by trying to understand each and every religion's philosophy 'cause there's just too much to learn.
To know if a religion is bogus or authentic, one must not do own mental speculation or thinking, but refer to scriptures and guru and sadhu.
Of course, whether gurus/scriptures are bogus or not is a different topic altogether.

I am happy that atleast you consider that religion is worthy.
Please refer:IDT
Devaka Cooray
ExamLab Creator
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Posts: 2891
    
  18

Vishal Hegde wrote:If i believe in Supreme cosmic energy

Well it looks like cosmic energy is what everyone likes to end up with when they can't come up with a realistic explanation. I was once arguing with a friend who thinks Astrology is a true science. She used to claim that gravitation can pull up inner strings of human brains, but when I explained that that's not how gravity works, she ended up with cosmic energy, the universal-explanation of all myths. It doesn't mean science can explain everything. In fact, there are things that science is yet to find and figure out, but as humans we got brains and it is unfair when people believe in things without having any logical reasoning. If you believe in something because it reasons out to be true for you, then that's a faith. Believing in things simply because it is in common opinion, tradition, or scripture, is not a faith, but a blind-belief.


Author of ExamLab ExamLab - a free SCJP / OCPJP exam simulator
My Home Page -- Twitter Profile -- JavaRanch FAQ -- How to Ask a Question
Amit Ghorpade
Bartender

Joined: Jun 06, 2007
Posts: 2713
    
    5

Devaka Cooray wrote:Well it looks like cosmic energy is what everyone likes to end up with when they can't come up with a realistic explanation.

Well you would see bunch of advertisements everywhere in which people claim that they can or the stuff they sell can "channel" the cosmic energy to you.
Okay I am not into astrophysics but yes I know the universe is full of energy. Everything on earth does absorb the energy from universe or cosmos, irrespective of its belief.
So I would buy the energy channeling stuff and have it power up the car or light my house and forget about fuel prices or electricity bills.

What I am trying to say here is I would not believe in some "cheap stuff sold at sky high prices" or any person throwing "cosmic energy" at me.
This is not related to god or faith. It is about the crappy ads that I see everyday.
Randall Twede
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 21, 2000
Posts: 4339
    
    2

i remember another Mantra that was popular in the US for a while.
i am probably misspelling it but...
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
you were supposed to think of what you wanted while you chant and it will happen


SCJP
Visit my download page
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Devaka Cooray wrote:
Vishal Hegde wrote:If i believe in Supreme cosmic energy

Well it looks like cosmic energy is what everyone likes to end up with when they can't come up with a realistic explanation. I was once arguing with a friend who thinks Astrology is a true science. She used to claim that gravitation can pull up inner strings of human brains, but when I explained that that's not how gravity works, she ended up with cosmic energy, the universal-explanation of all myths. It doesn't mean science can explain everything. In fact, there are things that science is yet to find and figure out, but as humans we got brains and it is unfair when people believe in things without having any logical reasoning. If you believe in something because it reasons out to be true for you, then that's a faith. Believing in things simply because it is in common opinion, tradition, or scripture, is not a faith, but a blind-belief.




Devaka , i guess Astrology means effects by planets...and I guess Sea waves are created by the Gravity force of the Moon itself, the sun provides heat, light and its very much effecting our planet earth.. I guess there will be some effect/negligible of the planets alignment and all. Science is something intellectual....we have seen people even after being intellectually successful they are not happy.
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Amit Ghorpade wrote:
Devaka Cooray wrote:Well it looks like cosmic energy is what everyone likes to end up with when they can't come up with a realistic explanation.

Well you would see bunch of advertisements everywhere in which people claim that they can or the stuff they sell can "channel" the cosmic energy to you.
Okay I am not into astrophysics but yes I know the universe is full of energy. Everything on earth does absorb the energy from universe or cosmos, irrespective of its belief.
So I would buy the energy channeling stuff and have it power up the car or light my house and forget about fuel prices or electricity bills.

What I am trying to say here is I would not believe in some "cheap stuff sold at sky high prices" or any person throwing "cosmic energy" at me.
This is not related to god or faith. It is about the crappy ads that I see everyday.


Hi Amit,

I agree with you, but we should be smart enough to know it. For instance iSha Foundation in Chennai is one of the best isha Kriya center you can visit for a week.They also have been helping with quality eductaion for the underpriveledged.
Some bogus things like Nirmal Baba was there, were he used to suggest ,"drink one glass of goat milk your issue will be resolved" or "eat 3 biscuits everyday" , that very much seemed to be very funny.Dont purchase any expensive stuff, just visit the place i mentioned above and let me know how you felt, because people like managers , directors, engineers from difernt countries from 1000 fortune companies do visit and they also invite them to do corporate programs.
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 1050

Kaustubh G Sharma wrote:
Gaurang Rathod wrote:Hey Vishal Hegde, I am great fan of Iskcon too. I believe in its philosophy. Those who don't , well they don't know the philosophy.

Those who are interested to learn Iskcon philosophy or gain some basic spiritual knowledge, please do visit: Iskcon desire tree.

By the way, those who are interested in only materialistic enjoyments, they have no idea how much more blissful is spiritual enjoyment.


Culture. religion faith are worth, till they are not by any force or fear... We get this things by birth and by saying only that mine is best doesn't make sense to me... First I need to understand each of everthing and then only I can make any conclusion.. So IMHO these options should be put open for everyone, it should be his/her choice to adopt or reject it... and incase if you don't want anything from it, there's always an atheism way to do it



Nobodys Forcing you Kaustubh, its your own will and you can follow any religion [That is also mentioned by ISKCON]

Also google for Akshaya Patra President of United States ,the Great Dalai Lama and other great people has appreciated the good work
Amit Ghorpade
Bartender

Joined: Jun 06, 2007
Posts: 2713
    
    5

Vishal Hegde wrote:Hi Amit,
I agree with you, but we should be smart enough to know it. For instance iSha Foundation in Chennai is one of the best isha Kriya center you can visit for a week.They also have been helping with quality eductaion for the underpriveledged.

Well everyone who visited Nirmal baba also came from a strong financial and educational background. So this is not a basis for judgement according to me.
Next, the center you say might actually be good and helpful but then if you practice meditation, get daily hypnosis sessions, have self improvement plans/goals for yourself and stick to them. You will definitely feel much better than any center can offer.
Centers like the one you mentioned actually have more of placebo effect and only your belief that the center will make you feel better helps, nothing else.
Next time you visit, try having a complete negative mentality (I am totally against this, but for sake of experiment) that the center has no hope for you, you have paid a lot, you don't need this, etc.
Then it is no way possible to feel better.
Chan Ag
Bartender

Joined: Sep 06, 2012
Posts: 839
    
  14
Actually, you know what.

I'm sort of fed up of these people who chant these Mantras over these loud speakers ( ok, it's not the USA. But I wish at least this thing in India functioned like it works elsewhere ). What I don't get is why is the box required. You like X, go renounce life, climb at the top of some hill and speak at the top of your voice where nobody will hear you, chant as much as you like and more- do whatever you want, but just respect people's personal space and that they deserve a calm space. Why create the noise pollution, why block roads... Why wake up people early in the morning cause you don't have a better job to do.

If I could, I would put them all behind bars. I've had to deal with this thing all through my exam days - imagine working on those organic chemistry equations with someone chanting these Mantras all through the day tirelessly.

Because of these anti social elements, I hate the Mantras itself.
Devaka Cooray
ExamLab Creator
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Posts: 2891
    
  18

Vishal Hegde wrote:Devaka , i guess Astrology means effects by planets...and I guess Sea waves are created by the Gravity force of the Moon itself, the sun provides heat, light and its very much effecting our planet earth..

Ocean waves are not created by lunar gravity - they are just wind waves. I think you are referring to tides that are caused by the gravity of moon. The thing is the way that gravity applies on ocean is not how it would apply on smaller objects like humans. Sea level is risen NOT simply because lunar gravity pulls it up, but because the gravity applies in different levels at different parts of the ocean. The parts of the ocean that are more viable to the gravitational field caused by the moon has more gravitational force exerted than the parts that are less viable to the field. Compound water in the ocean is so risen at the direction of the resultant force exerted. This does not apply on smaller objects, because small objects receive a uniform force at all of its parts. The same force also applies on the earth, making the resultant force nullified.

On the other hand, planets are not light sources. I am not sure how one would wrap up a phenomenon that has something to do with the light reflected from planets.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Hare Krishna Mantra seems to be famous in US
 
Similar Threads
Some interesting facts about the middle east
The Hare Krishna sect
Chuggers
Can someone explain what the Hindu religion is about?
WA #1.....word association