This week's giveaway is in the Android forum.
We're giving away four copies of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons and have Godfrey Nolan on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Servlets and the fly likes Help me for java installer for web app Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Servlets
Bookmark "Help me for java installer for web app" Watch "Help me for java installer for web app" New topic
Author

Help me for java installer for web app

Anil Kumar Goud
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 11, 2013
Posts: 12

Can we make .exe of (or java installer using the tools like install4j, izpack, advanced installer for java) java web application(like servlet, jsp)?. Please help me. If YES, how it works?. If NOT, WHY?.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41155
    
  45
I think a better question would be: what are you trying to accomplish? Those installers are meant for desktop installations - it would be extremely unusual to use them for web apps.


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Anil Kumar Goud
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 11, 2013
Posts: 12

Ulf Dittmer wrote:I think a better question would be: what are you trying to accomplish? Those installers are meant for desktop installations - it would be extremely unusual to use them for web apps.


ThnQ for reply,

I do agree with you.For a change, if i want run my web app like standalone app(instead of browser), how can i?
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60810
    
  65

Then do not write it as a web app. Web apps are not intended to be run standalone. It's using hr wrong tool for the job.

I suppose you could write an installer that would install a servlet container such as Tomcat, and then your web app. But that all seems rather pointless.

Why do you want to write a desktop app as a web app if its a desktop app you want?

[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Anil Kumar Goud
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 11, 2013
Posts: 12

Bear Bibeault wrote:Then do not write it as a web app. Web apps are not intended to be run standalone. It's using hr wrong tool for the job.

I suppose you could write an installer that would install a servlet container such as Tomcat, and then your web app. But that all seems rather pointless.

Why do you want to write a desktop app as a web app if its a desktop app you want?


Just, i don't want to run my web app on browser, want to give new look like stand alone app. How can i achieve this?
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60810
    
  65

You can't. Web apps display their view in the browser. If you want a desktop app, write a desktop app.
Anil Kumar Goud
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 11, 2013
Posts: 12

Bear Bibeault wrote:You can't. Web apps display their view in the browser. If you want a desktop app, write a desktop app.


ThnQ for the reply.
 
 
subject: Help me for java installer for web app
 
Similar Threads
Need some information
What installation is Necessary for Java
web start
Create the Installer for Java Web Application with InstallAnyWhere Enterprise Edition
how to make a java program instalable file??