as this site helped me a lot with some of my problems in the past and the people seem to be very nice here I decided to make my own account.
This is my first topic, I hope that anything I ask and how I describe it is ok.
Well, actually I have a Tomcat-Server running on a local machine, which IP is synced to a DynDNS-Account. This still works fine.
The servlets are connecting to a firebird database, which is also local on the machine.
Anything is working perfectly, when i enter the page from some other machines (Not my LAN).
But the site has to be reachable also from a company as I provide some important information for them.
The problem is, that they are restricted to use Internet Explorer (version 8 in most cases).
I am not able to reach my server from this company using IE8 (Site is broken).
If I install Firefox on a machine within the company, reaching the site is no problem.
I guess it's a problem of the security policy, but I am not quite sure.
What else could be the problem? Is there a workaround? Do I "just" have to change the security policy?
The DynDNS is also not pingable from the machines in the company.
I am just a student of informatics, I don't have the know-how like you, so I hope you can help me out.
I hope you can understand my problem, I'm sorry if the description is not precise enough!
I also hope that my English is ok!
Tomcat does not care what brand or version of browser a client is running as long as the client is conforming to HTTP protocols. And, while Microsoft does tend to be rather casual about the way it implements standards, it is not so casual as to cause that kind of problem.
If your webserver can be accessed by clients outside of your LAN (d.h., from the open Internet), then the only thing that would make this particular institution unable to access them would be if your own network's firewalls were blocking access. Which is possible if someone reversed a rule and made it forbid what it was supposed to allow to pass.
As I said, Tomcat does not care whether you are running IE or Firefox. In fact, I have both kinds of users myself. A firewall could scan incoming requests looking for the client-type header and block all non-IE clients, but this is not common. Nor is it a very good idea considering that even in the USA, IE no longer has a stranglehold on clients. Much less in the EU, where Microsoft has been repeatedly chastised for attempting to own the client space.
So basically, I would check with my local network techs to see if they have any rules in place that target this particular client. And if they are checking client types. If all is OK on your end, then there is probably something strange configured on their end.
Customer surveys are for companies who didn't pay proper attention to begin with.