aspose file tools*
The moose likes General Computing and the fly likes Is this laptop suited for programming? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » General Computing
Bookmark "Is this laptop suited for programming?" Watch "Is this laptop suited for programming?" New topic
Author

Is this laptop suited for programming?

Sjaak Hendriks
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 20, 2013
Posts: 8
Hey, i'm in need of a laptop to program java in netbeans.
Would these specs be good enough to do that at a decent speed?

Regards, Sjaak

Vendor code: F501A-XX519H
EAN code: 4716659494089
Type nummer: Asus F501A-XX519H

Technische specificaties - F501A-XX519H

Processor: Intel Core i3 2370M
Processor frequentie: 2400 MHz
Processor L2 cache: 512 kB
Processor L3 cache: 3072 kB
Werkgeheugen: 4 GB
Werkgeheugen max.: 4 GB
Werkgeheugen type: soDIMM (204pin) DDR3
Harddisk: 320 GB HDD
Harddisk draaisnelheid: 5400 rpm
Schermdiagonaal: 15,6'' / 39,6 cm
Schermtype: Glossy, LED backlight
Schermresolutie: 1366 x 768 pixels (HD, 16:9)
Video kaart: Intel GMA
Video geheugen: Shared
Geluid: HD Audio, twee geïntegreerde luidsprekers
Ingebouwde webcam: 0,3 MP
Ingebouwde microfoon

Aansluitingen

Wireless Network Access: 802.11b/g/n
Wired network acces: 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet (RJ-45)
USB poorten: 1x USB 3.0 + 1x USB 2.0
Externe monitor aansluiting: HDMI
Externe monitor aansluiting 2: sub-D VGA
Hoofdtelefoon aansluiting: 3,5mm jack aansluiting
Cardreader: 2-in-1
Geïntegreerde muis: Touchpad
Soort toetsenbord: Chiclet toetsenbord

Software

Operating System: Windows 8
Operating System bit: 64 bit
Taal/talen: multilingual preload, eenmalige keuze: NL óf UK óf FR

Accu

Aantal cellen: 4
Type: Lithium-Ion
Meegeleverde oplader: 65 Watt

Afmetingen, gewicht en kleur

Breedte: 38 cm
Diepte: 25,3 cm
Hoogte: 2,6 cm
Gewicht (inclusief accu): 2 kg
Kleur: Wit

Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61766
    
  67

I find it difficult to believe that any modern system could not handle programming.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender

Joined: May 14, 2008
Posts: 5845
    
    7

Here's a prior discussion of i3 vs 15 laptops:
http://www.coderanch.com/t/603908/gc/Intel-Core-core-suits-software


JBoss In Action
Piet Souris
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 08, 2009
Posts: 700
    
  11
hi Sjaak,

yes. this laptop is very well suited for NetBeans and Java.

My 6 year old pc has an E6400 processor (2 cores at 2,1Ghz), 3Gb memory, and it runs NetBeans and Java
easily.

Just, if you want to do some serious work on that laptop, I would advise a decent keyboard and a separate monitor as well.

Greetz,
Piet
Amit Ghorpade
Bartender

Joined: Jun 06, 2007
Posts: 2718
    
    6

Sorry if this is off topic but you should keep unwanted stuff close to zero if you want to use any laptop/desktop for programming.
Most laptops come bundled with stuff that I will never use but they keep running in the background and eat system resources.
I would uninstall them the moment i know its not needed. We also install few programs and then forget to remove them even when we stop using.
So if you want to get out the most of the system you have, keep it bare minimum to your needs.


SCJP, SCWCD.
|Asking Good Questions|
Sjaak Hendriks
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 20, 2013
Posts: 8
Thanks for the replies guys, good to know a decently priced laptop is good enough.
chris webster
Bartender

Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Posts: 1873
    
  16

One potential problem...

If I understand the spec correctly, the maximum RAM this machine will take is 4GB, but Windows 8 64-bit can handle much more than that. So if the 4GB hardware limit is real, it means you can't expand the RAM to take advantage of having a 64 bit operating system. You might want to check this, as increasing your RAM is often a cheap way of getting extra performance out of a PC or extending its life when new versions of your software demand extra RAM.


No more Blub for me, thank you, Vicar.
Sjaak Hendriks
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 20, 2013
Posts: 8
chris webster wrote:One potential problem...

If I understand the spec correctly, the maximum RAM this machine will take is 4GB, but Windows 8 64-bit can handle much more than that. So if the 4GB hardware limit is real, it means you can't expand the RAM to take advantage of having a 64 bit operating system. You might want to check this, as increasing your RAM is often a cheap way of getting extra performance out of a PC or extending its life when new versions of your software demand extra RAM.


Yes that is correct, but I only intend to use it for programming, so i don't think I would ever need to upgrade it.
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 31069
    
232

Sjaak Hendriks wrote:Yes that is correct, but I only intend to use it for programming, so i don't think I would ever need to upgrade it.

Don't underestimate the RAM needs of the software you are using to program. If you are using an IDE, like Eclipse, that uses a lot of RAM. And you may want to run Tomcat and/or a database locally. More RAM.

I always upgrade the RAM as soon as I buy a laptop since that becomes the thing that constrains me on programming on it over time.


[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Sjaak Hendriks
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 20, 2013
Posts: 8
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
Sjaak Hendriks wrote:Yes that is correct, but I only intend to use it for programming, so i don't think I would ever need to upgrade it.

Don't underestimate the RAM needs of the software you are using to program. If you are using an IDE, like Eclipse, that uses a lot of RAM. And you may want to run Tomcat and/or a database locally. More RAM.

I always upgrade the RAM as soon as I buy a laptop since that becomes the thing that constrains me on programming on it over time.

So it would be advisable to go for more RAM over a faster CPU?
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61766
    
  67

Sjaak Hendriks wrote:So it would be advisable to go for more RAM over a faster CPU?

Yes. Very much so.

Unless..

It's a lot easier to add more RAM than to upgrade the CPU. So it depends upon whether you will have the funds to upgrade RAM shortly. If you are never going to upgrade anything in the system, go for memory over CPU. But if you can get a faster CPU now, and add more RAM later, then that might be the best way to go over the long haul.

Decisions, decisions...
Sjaak Hendriks
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 20, 2013
Posts: 8
Hey guys, thank for the advice again i decided on the laptop I want.
I ordered this one for only 100 euros more then my original choice with way better specs.
chris webster
Bartender

Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Posts: 1873
    
  16

Hope you enjoy your new computer! My main machine at home is a Toshiba i5 laptop with 8GB RAM, which is great for development, and I've found Toshiba machines to be good value for money and pretty reliable.

And you'll appreciate the extra memory. For example, on my PC at work I can easily use up 3GB just running Eclipse, a local database and a web app server or two. Unfortunately, my employer regards Windows XP (plus Lotus bloody Notes) as the ideal working platform for the development staff ( ), so we can't add any more memory even if they'd pay for it....
Sjaak Hendriks
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 20, 2013
Posts: 8
chris webster wrote:Hope you enjoy your new computer! My main machine at home is a Toshiba i5 laptop with 8GB RAM, which is great for development, and I've found Toshiba machines to be good value for money and pretty reliable.

And you'll appreciate the extra memory. For example, on my PC at work I can easily use up 3GB just running Eclipse, a local database and a web app server or two. Unfortunately, my employer regards Windows XP (plus Lotus bloody Notes) as the ideal working platform for the development staff ( ), so we can't add any more memory even if they'd pay for it....

Thank you!
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Is this laptop suited for programming?