Win a copy of Clojure in Action this week in the Clojure forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

How about deploying the SonarQube in a cloud like AWS

 
Ren jith
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If I deploy a SonarQube into a cloud computing system. Is it work as we do it in local machines or jenkins. can all the users can see there project dashboards and analyse the quality of there project.
Is it a good way to integrate SonarQube in cloud
 
Patroklos Papapetrou
Author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
5
Java Netbeans IDE Scala
  • 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ren

I don't find any good reason why SonarQube won't work in a cloud environment. Besides CloudBees already offer SonarQube as a Service so I assume that this is feasible.
Although I haven't tried it, I would be very curious to know if you encounter any issues

Personally I don't think that SonarQube really requires a Cloud instance. Even nemo.sonarsource.org is a single machine and hosts thousands of project. Keep in mind that one of SonarQube's best/recommended practice is to run analysis once or twice a day so you don't need too many resources for writing to database. But again this is just my personal opinion.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 33696
316
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Patroklos Papapetrou wrote:Personally I don't think that SonarQube really requires a Cloud instance. Even nemo.sonarsource.org is a single machine and hosts thousands of project.

That's interesting because the SonarQube docs recommend splitting up the parts of Sonar. Well kind of. They say it and then immediately backpedal.

For optimal performance, each component (Database, Web Server, Clients) should be installed on a dedicated machine. However, the Server and the Database can be installed on the same machine.
 
Patroklos Papapetrou
Author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
5
Java Netbeans IDE Scala
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeremy

Indeed that's the suggested configuration and I totally agree, but installing SonarQube parts ( Database, Web Server , Clients ) in separated machines doesn't imply a cloud infrastructure. If I am correct the initial question was about install sonarqube in a cloud environment and my answer should be more clear
What I meant is that Nemo @SonarSource is not hosted in the cloud. It's a single machine with SonarQube Server installed. Obviously Database is somewhere else and clients that run analysis can be anywhere So I think we agree to all!
However from my experience for mediums-size SonarQube installations having server and database in the same machine (due to lack of resources or if you have a powerful machine) isn't that bad
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 33696
316
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Patroklos Papapetrou wrote:Hi Jeremy

Who is Jeremy?

Patroklos Papapetrou wrote: but installing SonarQube parts ( Database, Web Server , Clients ) in separated machines doesn't imply a cloud infrastructure. If I am correct the initial question was about install sonarqube in a cloud environment and my answer should be more clear

Got it!

Patroklos Papapetrou wrote: However from my experience for mediums-size SonarQube installations having server and database in the same machine (due to lack of resources or if you have a powerful machine) isn't that bad

That's good to know.

 
Burk Hufnagel
Ranch Hand
Posts: 814
3
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:That's interesting because the SonarQube docs recommend splitting up the parts of Sonar. Well kind of. They say it and then immediately backpedal.
For optimal performance, each component (Database, Web Server, Clients) should be installed on a dedicated machine. However, the Server and the Database can be installed on the same machine.


Jeanne,
I see what you mean. On the Install page it has these Notes:
1) The SonarQube platform cannot have more than a single web server and a single database.
2) For optimal performance, each component (Database, Web Server, Clients) should be installed on a dedicated machine. However, the Server and the Database can be installed on the same machine.
3) Clients will scale by adding machines.
4) The Database and the Clients must be located in the same network.
5) The Database and the Clients must not be installed on the same machine.
6) All the machines must be time synchronized.

It does seem reasonable that splitting up the components would allow you to run more projects simultaneously since the components aren't competing for resources. OTOH, putting the server and db on the same box means reducing network delays sending and receiving data between the components.

One more point, I guess something's changed since the project was renamed SonarQube because, contrary to item #5, I have installed Sonar, run all three components on the same laptop, and it worked just fine for multiple enterprise projects.

Burk
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic