Win a copy of Design for the Mind this week in the Design forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

side business, want to become rich. any ideas

 
vijay jamadade
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I know i will get meaningless ideas. Inspite of getting higher salaries i still feel greedy about money and want to become a rich guy where money will work for me. I always used to think of some business that will make me rich some day. For this i thought if taking 6 months break and do whatever comes in mind without much thinking about loss or gain.

I think this could be the way to explore businesman in me. Still thinking. what about you?
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11021
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am not aware of any 6 month side business, but I can definitely recommend a long term bottom business.
Have you considered placing a piece of coal on your office chair before sitting on it? Pressure creates diamonds!

You need to be on the seat to accelerate the diamond creation process.
This will cut down all your coffee breaks. Health Win!
Your boss will find you at the workstation continuously. Career Win!
You might want to consider naming your coal Wilson / {insert your preferred name here}. Social life Win!
Eventually you will get a diamond. Business Win!

Looks like win win to me. Go for it.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3713
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:I am not aware of any 6 month side business, but I can definitely recommend a long term bottom business.
Have you considered placing a piece of coal on your office chair before sitting on it? Pressure creates diamonds!

You need to be on the seat to accelerate the diamond creation process.
This will cut down all your coffee breaks. Health Win!
Your boss will find you at the workstation continuously. Career Win!
You might want to consider naming your coal Wilson / {insert your preferred name here}. Social life Win!
Eventually you will get a diamond. Business Win!

Looks like win win to me. Go for it.


If you came up with this amazing idea, you are a genius ROFL
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11021
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Anilprem wrote:
If you came up with this amazing idea, you are a genius ROFL

Why thank you.
Genius is not the usual choice of words when someone decides to describe me or call me names though
 
Pat Farrell
Rancher
Posts: 4678
7
Linux Mac OS X VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sorry, this is not a proper meaningless answer:

The key to a successful business is sales. Period. It is not about having a great idea. Or being first with an idea. The way you create a successful business is to have a pretty good idea (can be copied from someone else) and sell it like crazy. When you are selling it so much that you can't supply the idea/product/service, you hire people to make it while you continue to sell like crazy. When you are selling so much that you can't sell it all, you hire other salesman and make them rich if they sell your product/idea/service (you get a tiny piece of what they sell). It is critical that your salesmen all drive really expensive cars, wear expensive clothes and drink expensive wine.

Having a great idea not only is not important, it can waste your time. I worked at a company, CyberCash, where we invented internet commerce. Literally. It went bankrupt.
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 20999
76
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
vijay jamadade wrote:I know i will get meaningless ideas. Inspite of getting higher salaries i still feel greedy about money and want to become a rich guy where money will work for me. I always used to think of some business that will make me rich some day. For this i thought if taking 6 months break and do whatever comes in mind without much thinking about loss or gain.

I think this could be the way to explore businesman in me. Still thinking. what about you?


As a side note, if someone can give you an idea, that will make you rich in 6 months (or self-sufficient enough to become rich), wouldn't that person rather become rich instead? After all, if a person felt that it was such a good idea, why would he/she give it away?

Henry
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 20999
76
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pat Farrell wrote:Sorry, this is not a proper meaningless answer:

The key to a successful business is sales. Period. It is not about having a great idea. Or being first with an idea. The way you create a successful business is to have a pretty good idea (can be copied from someone else) and sell it like crazy. When you are selling it so much that you can't supply the idea/product/service, you hire people to make it while you continue to sell like crazy. When you are selling so much that you can't sell it all, you hire other salesman and make them rich if they sell your product/idea/service (you get a tiny piece of what they sell). It is critical that your salesmen all drive really expensive cars, wear expensive clothes and drink expensive wine.

Having a great idea not only is not important, it can waste your time. I worked at a company, CyberCash, where we invented internet commerce. Literally. It went bankrupt.


I don't know if I agree with that. A good sales team can buy you some time while you develop your product. A good sales team can buy you some time while you fix your product. A good sales team can even help you beat your competitors that may have better products.

But two issues... First, it is not a sustainable model. At a certain point, you will have to deliver -- no sales team can get enough customers to pay up front *and* wait for quality product. And second, good salesreps can sell anything. They will be the first to leave, if anything looks bad -- and execution issues looks really bad.

Henry
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3713
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pat Farrell wrote: I worked at a company, CyberCash, where we invented internet commerce. Literally. It went bankrupt.

I remember that company. In 1997/98, I was offered a position in their Bangalore development center.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3713
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:
Paul Anilprem wrote:
If you came up with this amazing idea, you are a genius ROFL

Why thank you.
Genius is not the usual choice of words when someone decides to describe me or call me names though

Not even on MD?
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 15214
36
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Buy one of the many "get rich quick" books and do whatever is in the book.

I suspect that the recipe to get rich quick you'll find in the book is: "Write a book about how to get rich quick, then sell millions of copies." It worked for the author of the original book, so it must work for everyone!
 
J. Kevin Robbins
Bartender
Posts: 1744
19
Chrome Firefox Browser jQuery Linux MySQL Database Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You could sell pies.
 
Jayesh A Lalwani
Rancher
Posts: 2756
32
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You could sell marijuana or marijuana laced pies

Seriously, if you can sit on your ass and code at a stretch, you are already rich, or will be one day. Go do something else on the side like push your kids on a swing, or learn to cook, or volunteer somewhere and help others. There are lot of ways to be rich that doesn't involve money
 
Greg Charles
Sheriff
Posts: 2985
12
Firefox Browser IntelliJ IDE Java Mac Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wow, that's a weird coincidence. I also like money! If you come up with an idea for getting it, maybe I could join you. Or, if you end up making too much money, you could just send me some of the extra. Thanks!
 
vijay jamadade
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jayesh A Lalwani wrote:You could sell marijuana or marijuana laced pies

Seriously, if you can sit on your ass and code at a stretch, you are already rich, or will be one day. Go do something else on the side like push your kids on a swing, or learn to cook, or volunteer somewhere and help others. There are lot of ways to be rich that doesn't involve money


Super like this one. Money is not only the thing to become rich.
 
K. Tsang
Bartender
Posts: 3397
13
Android Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If you want to be rich then invest "wisely". Investment is believed to be "money makes money".

On the other hand if you really want a business or start a company, first idea (product or service or something else) then ability to sell it and finally customer retention & acquisition.

Good at selling things is a great way to make money but without the customer satisfaction then profits will soon go away.
 
Paweł Baczyński
Bartender
Posts: 1762
33
Firefox Browser IntelliJ IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'll agree with Dilbert.
If anyone gives you a multi-million-dollar idea for free, he or she must be dumb. And if he or she is dumb then his or her idea is worthless ;).
 
Dieter Quickfend
Bartender
Posts: 543
4
Java Netbeans IDE Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You could buy a cheap computer, paint it purple, say you reinvented the computer and sell it for 5 million. Worked for Apple.
 
Peter Rooke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 847
1
Java Linux Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The key to a successful business is sales. Period. It is not about having a great idea. Or being first with an idea. The way you create a successful business is to have a pretty good idea (can be copied from someone else) and sell it like crazy.

Yeah - the story of many IT companies; once Informix once had a superior product - but never sold it (unlike Oracle). Anyone remember Xerox PARC

Of course, if anyone does have an idea that would earn a lot of money - the last thing they will do is post it on a online forum
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic