This week's book giveaways are in the Java EE and JavaScript forums.
We're giving away four copies each of The Java EE 7 Tutorial Volume 1 or Volume 2(winners choice) and jQuery UI in Action and have the authors on-line!
See this thread and this one for details.
The moose likes Design and the fly likes Software Architecture for Developers Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of The Java EE 7 Tutorial Volume 1 or Volume 2 this week in the Java EE forum
or jQuery UI in Action in the JavaScript forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » Design
Bookmark "Software Architecture for Developers" Watch "Software Architecture for Developers" New topic
Author

Software Architecture for Developers

Luke Murphy
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 12, 2010
Posts: 300
Hi,
I worked using Waterfall, RUP and Scrum methodologies. I find that in a Scrum methodology it is very easy for architecture work to be:

1. Never done
2. Shared amongst senior developers on the team

The problem is that there is not enough emphasis on architectural work in the Scrum methodology and since most organisations who are claiming to be Agile are using Scrum it means that this work is not given the important it is.

What are you thoughts on this?

Simon Brown
sharp shooter, and author
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 10, 2000
Posts: 1913
    
    6
Hi Luke, great question. I completely agree that there's often not enough emphasis on the software architecture aspects, and that's another reason why I wrote the book. I run training courses all across Europe and I've frequently seen this for myself. Many people seem to think that there is a conflict between architecture and agile, but that's not the case -> https://leanpub.com/software-architecture-for-developers/read#conflict

My approach is based around a minimal set of lightweight software architecture practices that include doing "just enough" up front design, communicating the resulting software architecture through a collection of simple sketches and taking a risk-driven approach to the delivery. It's something that (I feel) complements agile approaches and reintroduces some emphasis back onto the (often neglected) software architecture aspects.
Junilu Lacar
Bartender

Joined: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4456
    
    6

Part of the problem is that many organizations lose sight of the fact that Scrum is just a framework, not a methodology. Scrum focuses mainly on the process management side of the picture. Scrum is great for what it's for but the folks who invented it will be the first to say that you need to take care of the technical practices as well. Architecture is largely technical in nature so that's why many Scrum teams who are overly focused on the process management practices tend to forget about or don't pay enough attention to architecture.

This is what I tell other technical folks in my org: No amount of agile process management will help us get better if we don't do our part in striving for technical excellence. A bunch of crap code produced with the best process management practices still is, at the end of the day, a bunch of crap code.


Junilu - [How to Ask Questions] [How to Answer Questions]
Comal Rajagopalaratnam Muthukumar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 18, 2012
Posts: 88
Simon Brown wrote:Hi Luke, great question. I completely agree that there's often not enough emphasis on the software architecture aspects, and that's another reason why I wrote the book. I run training courses all across Europe and I've frequently seen this for myself. Many people seem to think that there is a conflict between architecture and agile, but that's not the case -> https://leanpub.com/software-architecture-for-developers/read#conflict

My approach is based around a minimal set of lightweight software architecture practices that include doing "just enough" up front design, communicating the resulting software architecture through a collection of simple sketches and taking a risk-driven approach to the delivery. It's something that (I feel) complements agile approaches and reintroduces some emphasis back onto the (often neglected) software architecture aspects.

Hi

Will you be able to briefy say the the clarification i had requested else please let me know if an example prg in your book will enable me to finish my proect successfully(as stated in the weloming area/thread). I also find that none of the softwareenineering design books do deal with industrial oriented topics like OperationsResearch technollogy forexample linearprogramming where iteration- pooling etc of objects in the application plays a dominanant role.Will be pleased to know if this is otherwise.,meaning that a book is my tutor.
With Best wishes extended in this ....
As
CRMK
Simon Brown
sharp shooter, and author
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 10, 2000
Posts: 1913
    
    6
Hi Comal, I'm not quite sure if you're asking about process (iterations) or technology (object pooling) ... could you expand on the question, please?
Comal Rajagopalaratnam Muthukumar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 18, 2012
Posts: 88
Simon Brown wrote:Hi Comal, I'm not quite sure if you're asking about process (iterations) or technology (object pooling) ... could you expand on the question, please?


Hi
My briefing is as under:-
In my linear programming application there are decision variables and constraints besides objective function.The application contains many methods.Could you be able to cohesively couple these methods in oreder to get the feasible solution,no matter you use Iteration process or Pool the obejects either, to invoke a modify(a method in the prg to get the optimum value for the Obective Function). atlest,Please let me know of any book that covers in java the Linear prg topic (under OperationReserchTech).

BestWishes with concerns

As
CRMK
Simon Brown
sharp shooter, and author
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 10, 2000
Posts: 1913
    
    6
Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated ... unfortunately it's not a topic that I'm familiar with I'm afraid.
Jayesh A Lalwani
Bartender

Joined: Jan 17, 2008
Posts: 2337
    
  28

Doesn't sound like linear programming will be in scope for this book, although I might be wrong. Linear programming, or LP as the cool kids like to say, is a mathematical concept, not a programming concept ( despite the name) . Sure there are algorithms related to linear programming, and you have software programs that do linear programming.
Comal Rajagopalaratnam Muthukumar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 18, 2012
Posts: 88
Simon Brown wrote:Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated ... unfortunately it's not a topic that I'm familiar with I'm afraid.


Hi
While reciprocating the same ,I am happy that there is a software book (as per next ref )in java dealing the subject matter whose possession of which,might fix my snags .
Once again with
plethora of thanks

As
CRMK
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
 
subject: Software Architecture for Developers