aspose file tools*
The moose likes JNLP and Web Start and the fly likes JNLP missing but is installed Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » JNLP and Web Start
Bookmark "JNLP missing but is installed" Watch "JNLP missing but is installed" New topic
Author

JNLP missing but is installed

Bamon Vaders
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 06, 2014
Posts: 4
Hello all,

i'm kinda stuck.

We use a Windows Server 2008 terminal server to launch a webapplication using Java Web Start. The problem is some users expairence on error from the webapp saying Java Web Start needs to be installed. I checked it with my admin account and got the same error. When trying to install JRE-6u18 I get the message thath JRE 6u18 is already installed and if i want to re-install it. I'm not that keen on installing Java as other applications may fail. I switched to my user account and tried the same webapp. What surprised me was that the webapp started without an error.

Both IE and Firefox fail to start the webapp when using my admin account but work when using my user account. Not all users get the error, some users can start the webapp without a problem.

I exported my user IE registry settings to my admin account. And still I get the same error on my admin account. Start -> controle panel -> Java -> tab: Java -> view -> shows both Java 1.7.0_07 and Java 1.6.0_18.

I also re-installed JRE 6u18. But that also didnt solve the problem.

I hope anyone can give me more tips on how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance!
Martin Vajsar
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 22, 2010
Posts: 3610
    
  60

Welcome to the Ranch!

What is the exact error message you're getting? Did you try to google up the exact text? (Sometimes it is better to somehow obtain the English text of the message, if you use localized version of Windows, as there usually are much more hits for the English phrase).

I'd also suggest to try to find out which process is actually complaining about the missing installation. There are some tools, such as Process Explorer, which allow to find this out (you point to a window and it shows you the process owning the window) though I'm not 100% sure it will work in Terminal server. Knowing the process name might help to narrow the search.
Bamon Vaders
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 06, 2014
Posts: 4
Martin Vajsar wrote:Welcome to the Ranch!

What is the exact error message you're getting? Did you try to google up the exact text? (Sometimes it is better to somehow obtain the English text of the message, if you use localized version of Windows, as there usually are much more hits for the English phrase).

I'd also suggest to try to find out which process is actually complaining about the missing installation. There are some tools, such as Process Explorer, which allow to find this out (you point to a window and it shows you the process owning the window) though I'm not 100% sure it will work in Terminal server. Knowing the process name might help to narrow the search.


Hi there!

There is no real error message. Just this:


To download RM Console, Java Web Start needs to be installed! Please click here to download and install Java Web Start!



And whenever I use my user account the RM Console starts without a problem. Its just the admin account en some users who get this error served.

On my admin account I've created a test jnlp file. When I double click on it I see Java starts. It ends with other errors (basically because the test jnlp tries to start stuff thats not installed). So im sure the MIME setting is correct. Still the RM Console isnt starting in any browser when Im on my admin account.
Martin Vajsar
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 22, 2010
Posts: 3610
    
  60

I'm just guessing here, but it might also mean that the JNLP file association with javaws.exe is broken for some reason. Can you check the association? Can you try to download and save the file somewhere, and run it manually using the javaws executable?
Bamon Vaders
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 06, 2014
Posts: 4
Martin Vajsar wrote:I'm just guessing here, but it might also mean that the JNLP file association with javaws.exe is broken for some reason. Can you check the association? Can you try to download and save the file somewhere, and run it manually using the javaws executable?


The test JNLP file i created starts when I run it manually.

I cant download the RM Console.
Martin Vajsar
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 22, 2010
Posts: 3610
    
  60

Bamon Vaders wrote:The test JNLP file i created starts when I run it manually.

Sorry, I've overlooked you stated this earlier.

Bamon Vaders wrote:On my admin account I've created a test jnlp file. When I double click on it I see Java starts. It ends with other errors (basically because the test jnlp tries to start stuff thats not installed). So im sure the MIME setting is correct. Still the RM Console isnt starting in any browser when Im on my admin account.

If you doubleclick a file in the Windows Explorer, the MIME settings are not used, just the file extension (and its association). Perhaps you should check the MIME settings of your browser in the problematic account? You might also try to use a different browser (preferrrably freshly installed) to start the application - if it works, you'll know the problem is with your current browser settings.

Also, what is a RM Console?
Bamon Vaders
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 06, 2014
Posts: 4
Martin Vajsar wrote:If you doubleclick a file in the Windows Explorer, the MIME settings are not used, just the file extension (and its association). Perhaps you should check the MIME settings of your browser in the problematic account? You might also try to use a different browser (preferrrably freshly installed) to start the application - if it works, you'll know the problem is with your current browser settings.

Also, what is a RM Console?


Thanks for your help.

IE 10, Chrome 32 & Firefox 17 all fail to run the RM Console. I'm missing a setting, because when I go (with my admin account) to http://java.com/verify all I get is a red X in the top left corner. While on my local account the verify thingy works.

For now I'll just leave it as it is. Spend way too much time with this issue.

RM Console is a Remote Management Console which we use to connect to a (3rd party) server that keeps track of our network devices.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: JNLP missing but is installed