File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes EJB Certification (SCBCD/OCPJBCD) and the fly likes How to start , which book I need to read ? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » EJB Certification (SCBCD/OCPJBCD)
Bookmark "How to start , which book I need to read ?" Watch "How to start , which book I need to read ?" New topic
Author

How to start , which book I need to read ?

Ramy Diab
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 04, 2014
Posts: 18
Hello All ,

I have just finished my web component certification (1z0-899) , and i need to start the EJB one.

I don't have any experience with EJB , and I need to know which book i have to read first ?

I have read many posts and there is many recommended books.

Right now I have started with Head First EJB 2.0 , is that can be a good start , or I need to read another book ?

Please advice according to my situation.

Thanks in advance.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9383
    
    2

Ramy Diab wrote:Hello All ,

I have just finished my web component certification (1z0-899) , and i need to start the EJB one.

I don't have any experience with EJB , and I need to know which book i have to read first ?

I have read many posts and there is many recommended books.

Right now I have started with Head First EJB 2.0 , is that can be a good start , or I need to read another book ?

Please advice according to my situation.

Thanks in advance.


EJB 2.0 is completely different to EJB 3.x and the currently available Oracle certifications on EJB is based on EJB 3.x. So effectively any book on EJB 2.0 would just help you understand what EJB's are and how to program EJB 2.0 against a container. You would require a book that caters to the EJB 3.x specification.


SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 - Hints for you, Certified Scrum Master
Did a rm -R / to find out that I lost my entire Linux installation!
Ramy Diab
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 04, 2014
Posts: 18


Joe Harry wrote:
EJB 2.0 is completely different to EJB 3.x and the currently available Oracle certifications on EJB is based on EJB 3.x. So effectively any book on EJB 2.0 would just help you understand what EJB's are and how to program EJB 2.0 against a container. You would require a book that caters to the EJB 3.x specification.


Thanks for your replay , can you please recommend one book cover EJB 3 for beginner level ?
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9383
    
    2

When I worked with EJB 3.x, I used the Pro EJB 3 book http://www.amazon.com/Pro-EJB-Persistence-Experts-Voice/dp/1590596455
Ramy Diab
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 04, 2014
Posts: 18
Joe Harry wrote:When I worked with EJB 3.x, I used the Pro EJB 3 book http://www.amazon.com/Pro-EJB-Persistence-Experts-Voice/dp/1590596455


You think it is good for beginner level ?
Mikalai Zaikin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 04, 2002
Posts: 3211
    
    6
Ramy Diab wrote:
Joe Harry wrote:When I worked with EJB 3.x, I used the Pro EJB 3 book http://www.amazon.com/Pro-EJB-Persistence-Experts-Voice/dp/1590596455


You think it is good for beginner level ?


Some points:

1) Please, don't use Head First EJB - it's a great book, but it's extremely outdated.

2) Don't expect "beginners" book for EJB. The topic is for those who familiar well with Java SE, and Java EE related concepts, like remote calls, serialization, container-component architecture. I personally recommend the book from O'Reilly (assume you studying for Java EE 6 based exam)

HTH,
MZ


Free SCDJWS 5.0 Study Guide - SCDJWS 5.0 Quiz (How to get SCDJWS 5.0 Quiz)
Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Web Services Developer Certified Expert Exam Study Guide and Quiz
Ramy Diab
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 04, 2014
Posts: 18
Mikalai Zaikin wrote:
Ramy Diab wrote:
Joe Harry wrote:When I worked with EJB 3.x, I used the Pro EJB 3 book http://www.amazon.com/Pro-EJB-Persistence-Experts-Voice/dp/1590596455


You think it is good for beginner level ?


Some points:

1) Please, don't use Head First EJB - it's a great book, but it's extremely outdated.

2) Don't expect "beginners" book for EJB. The topic is for those who familiar well with Java SE, and Java EE related concepts, like remote calls, serialization, container-component architecture. I personally recommend the book from O'Reilly (assume you studying for Java EE 6 based exam)

HTH,
MZ


Thanks ,

I already have experience with all those topics (I cleared OCP java SE 7 and OCE EE6 Web component) , I only don't have experience with EJB.

I will get your mentioned book and begin with it.

Thanks again for your response
Mikalai Zaikin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 04, 2002
Posts: 3211
    
    6
Ramy Diab wrote:
Mikalai Zaikin wrote:
Ramy Diab wrote:
Joe Harry wrote:When I worked with EJB 3.x, I used the Pro EJB 3 book http://www.amazon.com/Pro-EJB-Persistence-Experts-Voice/dp/1590596455


You think it is good for beginner level ?


Some points:

1) Please, don't use Head First EJB - it's a great book, but it's extremely outdated.

2) Don't expect "beginners" book for EJB. The topic is for those who familiar well with Java SE, and Java EE related concepts, like remote calls, serialization, container-component architecture. I personally recommend the book from O'Reilly (assume you studying for Java EE 6 based exam)

HTH,
MZ


Thanks ,

I already have experience with all those topics (I cleared OCP java SE 7 and OCE EE6 Web component) , I only don't have experience with EJB.

I will get your mentioned book and begin with it.

Thanks again for your response


Just a quick comment: the book covers both EJB 3.1 and JPA 2.0.

It's traditionally, because in early revisions of EJB specification persistence was a part of it, now JPA is a separate spec.

So, you just skip JPA-related chapters from the O'Reilly book.

HTH,
MZ
Ramy Diab
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 04, 2014
Posts: 18
The book has 21 chapters , Can you please tell me which chapters related to JPA which i need to ignore ?
Mikalai Zaikin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 04, 2002
Posts: 3211
    
    6
Ramy Diab wrote:The book has 21 chapters , Can you please tell me which chapters related to JPA which i need to ignore ?


Hint: if you see words "persistence" or "JPA" - skip those ;-)
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: How to start , which book I need to read ?