aspose file tools*
The moose likes Swing / AWT / SWT and the fly likes MiG Layout Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Swing / AWT / SWT
Bookmark "MiG Layout" Watch "MiG Layout" New topic
Author

MiG Layout

Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Does anyone have a direct link to download the jar file for swing? I tried to find the jar file from the MiG website but I couldn't find a download with a jar file, all they had were downloads with class files. I didn't want to post here asking this question but the MiG website is so unorganized in my opinion. I setup an account to post on the forums but couldn't find a button anywhere to post a new topic. I just found that ridiculous and I hope that someone here can help me as I have heard that MiG is very popular and widely used compared to the default layout managers for swing.
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18570
    
    8

I googled for "mig layout" and got directed pretty firmly to http://www.miglayout.com/ -- which halfway down the page has a link to "Downloads Folder". From there I selected the "4.0" link which led to a page which appeared to have all kinds of jar files available for download. Probably you got distracted by something else which I didn't notice, but anyway I couldn't find any downloads for class files.
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Paul Clapham wrote:I googled for "mig layout" and got directed pretty firmly to http://www.miglayout.com/ -- which halfway down the page has a link to "Downloads Folder". From there I selected the "4.0" link which led to a page which appeared to have all kinds of jar files available for download. Probably you got distracted by something else which I didn't notice, but anyway I couldn't find any downloads for class files.


if you download the jar files you end up with class files and 0 jar files......
Rob Spoor
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 27, 2005
Posts: 19693
    
  20

http://www.migcalendar.com/miglayout/versions/4.0/miglayout-4.0-swing.jar is the JAR file (for Swing, there is also an SWT one and one with both).


SCJP 1.4 - SCJP 6 - SCWCD 5 - OCEEJBD 6
How To Ask Questions How To Answer Questions
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Rob Spoor wrote:http://www.migcalendar.com/miglayout/versions/4.0/miglayout-4.0-swing.jar is the JAR file (for Swing, there is also an SWT one and one with both).


ok question, since all of the files are either a MF File or Class Files the entire folder is the jar file? How would I do the jar file directory path for eclipse?
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18570
    
    8

I don't know what you're doing, but when I download it I get a jar file downloaded.

As for Eclipse, it's called "build path". I don't understand what you mean by "doing" a jar file directory path. To add a jar file to your project's build path you just navigate to the jar file, as far as I remember.
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Paul Clapham wrote:I don't know what you're doing, but when I download it I get a jar file downloaded.

As for Eclipse, it's called "build path". I don't understand what you mean by "doing" a jar file directory path. To add a jar file to your project's build path you just navigate to the jar file, as far as I remember.


If I am correct the "location" of the jar file on your computer is called the directory path ex. C:\Users\UserName\Documents.....When I download the file I don't get a jar file......
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Charles Sexton wrote:
Paul Clapham wrote:I don't know what you're doing, but when I download it I get a jar file downloaded.

As for Eclipse, it's called "build path". I don't understand what you mean by "doing" a jar file directory path. To add a jar file to your project's build path you just navigate to the jar file, as far as I remember.


If I am correct the "location" of the jar file on your computer is called the directory path ex. C:\Users\UserName\Documents.....When I download the file I don't get a jar file......


I am hundred percent sure that I don't get a file that is a jar file only files that are MF and class.....I can provide screenshots to prove that I am not getting a jar file.....Is the whole file a jar file, instead of miglayout-4.0-swing.zip should be miglayout-4.0-swing.jar? I was going to ask for help from mig support staff but I can't post a new topic in their forums......
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18570
    
    8

I click on the link which Rob Spoor posted and my browser pops up a dialog box which says "You have chosen to open miglayout-4.0-swing.jar... Would you like to save this file? (Save) (Cancel)". And when I click on the Save button it downloads the jar file into a folder on my computer.
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Paul Clapham wrote:I click on the link which Rob Spoor posted and my browser pops up a dialog box which says "You have chosen to open miglayout-4.0-swing.jar... Would you like to save this file? (Save) (Cancel)". And when I click on the Save button it downloads the jar file into a folder on my computer.


I click save as and I save it to my desktop. It is one folder, I open the folder and it brings up two folders, net and META-INF. I open META-INF folder and it contains the MANIFEST.MF file. I click back and click on net folder then click on miginfocom folder. Then I click on layout folder. This folder contains several .class files. I click back and then click on the swing folder and it has nothing but .class files. So that is why I am asking for help. The jar file isn't their when I download.....any suggestions or advice?
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Charles Sexton wrote:
Paul Clapham wrote:I click on the link which Rob Spoor posted and my browser pops up a dialog box which says "You have chosen to open miglayout-4.0-swing.jar... Would you like to save this file? (Save) (Cancel)". And when I click on the Save button it downloads the jar file into a folder on my computer.


I click save as and I save it to my desktop. It is one folder, I open the folder and it brings up two folders, net and META-INF. I open META-INF folder and it contains the MANIFEST.MF file. I click back and click on net folder then click on miginfocom folder. Then I click on layout folder. This folder contains several .class files. I click back and then click on the swing folder and it has nothing but .class files. So that is why I am asking for help. The jar file isn't their when I download.....any suggestions or advice?


can you tell me the name of the sub folder in which the jar file is in?
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18570
    
    8

You downloaded the jar file to your desktop. Apparently your desktop interprets it as being a folder and shows you the contents. I have no idea why that is -- I don't even know what operating system you're using or how you configured it to do that. All I can suggest is that you download it to a more ordinary folder and not to your desktop.
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Paul Clapham wrote:You downloaded the jar file to your desktop. Apparently your desktop interprets it as being a folder and shows you the contents. I have no idea why that is -- I don't even know what operating system you're using or how you configured it to do that. All I can suggest is that you download it to a more ordinary folder and not to your desktop.


I am running Windows 8.....Does anyone have any suggestions or have ever encountered this problem before?
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Paul Clapham wrote:You downloaded the jar file to your desktop. Apparently your desktop interprets it as being a folder and shows you the contents. I have no idea why that is -- I don't even know what operating system you're using or how you configured it to do that. All I can suggest is that you download it to a more ordinary folder and not to your desktop.


Anyway to change the folder into a jar file?
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18570
    
    8

Does that mean that you downloaded the jar file somewhere else and it still looks like a folder?
Rob Spoor
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 27, 2005
Posts: 19693
    
  20

Recent versions of Windows have native support for ZIP files. Perhaps Windows 8 goes further than only checking the extension and sees that the JAR file is a ZIP file, and therefore treats it as a ZIP file. Windows 7 (perhaps Vista already) treats ZIP files as folders. That doesn't mean that it is a folder, it's still a ZIP file (or JAR file).

Charles, I think you'll see that the icon of the new "folder" is slightly different from other folders. There is probably a little zipper or something similar added.
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18570
    
    8

I don't think it matters in the least how Windows displays the jar file. Why don't you just add it to your project's build path and see what happens?
Rob Spoor
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 27, 2005
Posts: 19693
    
  20

For any software it doesn't matter, but I can understand that users can miss the difference between a (JAR/ZIP) file and a folder. I think that there was never any problem other than the communication between Windows and Charles.
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18570
    
    8

Yes, I certainly got carried away by that as well. But I have to say I'm impressed that Windows 8 displays a jar archive as a folder. In Windows 7 I've got used to renaming X.jar as X.zip just so I can look at the contents.
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Rob Spoor wrote:Recent versions of Windows have native support for ZIP files. Perhaps Windows 8 goes further than only checking the extension and sees that the JAR file is a ZIP file, and therefore treats it as a ZIP file. Windows 7 (perhaps Vista already) treats ZIP files as folders. That doesn't mean that it is a folder, it's still a ZIP file (or JAR file).

Charles, I think you'll see that the icon of the new "folder" is slightly different from other folders. There is probably a little zipper or something similar added.


Ok thank you, I was looking for a .jar file the entire time. I will try adding the directory path to eclipse and see what happens. I will try it this weekend, have too much school work at the moment.
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Rob Spoor wrote:For any software it doesn't matter, but I can understand that users can miss the difference between a (JAR/ZIP) file and a folder. I think that there was never any problem other than the communication between Windows and Charles.


Yeh I was looking for a .jar file within the .zip file
Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 192
Ok just for future reference, in order to fix this problem please follow the steps below.

On Windows 8,

Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View Tab -> Uncheck hide folder extension -> Click Apply then Ok - > Close Control Panel -> Right Click MiG Layout zip file and choose rename -> Replace the end of the file name from .zip to .jar -> Hit enter and click ok with the prompt that Windows throws up.....

Thanks guys for the help.....Thought their was issues with the download or something.....
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: MiG Layout