Win a copy of Design for the Mind this week in the Design forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

This Weeks Giveaway

 
Carl Trusiak
Sheriff
Posts: 3341
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We are giving away four copies of the book "Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere".
And the best part... The Editor, Kyle Brown and Author, Greg Hester, are online to answer your questions!
Everyone give Kyle and Greg a warm JavaRanch welcome.

My apologies, I quoted a review from the wrong book in the email anouncement! "Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere" is still under review.
Carl
 
Tony Chen
Ranch Hand
Posts: 286
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, Kyle & Greg! Welcome to the cattle!
And many thanks to Sheriff Carl!

------------------
Tony Chen
SCJP, ICS & ICSD (WebSphere)
 
Saima Kolachi
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations to Kyle Brown and Greg Hester on their book.
 
ruilin yang
Ranch Hand
Posts: 334
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Authors,
Welcome!
I am using JRun to develop Java enterprise applications.
With IBM application server, what are server specific features ? for example, the server has server specific JSP Tag library ? I know very litter about IBM application server.
Please comments.
Thanks in advance
Ruilin
 
Junilu Lacar
Bartender
Pie
Posts: 7465
50
Android Eclipse IDE IntelliJ IDE Java Linux Mac Scala Spring Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Kyle and Greg.
Does your book discuss the Websphere Test Environment in VisualAge for Java? Does it have any coverage of using Struts?
I am currently on a project that, due to bureaucratic constraints, does not allow the developers to have direct access to the WebSphere Application Server environment. We are supposed to develop and do integration testing in the WTE. What kind of differences, if any, in the WTE environment should we plan to deal with when we migrate to WAS? We are also using Struts (with a lot of help from Kyle's article on using Struts with WTE). Are there any gotcha's when migrating our Struts-based JSPs from WTE to WAS?
Thanks in advance,
Junilu Lacar
 
Matt Hicks
Greenhorn
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This book is on my list to buy -- maybe now I'll win a copy instead. Becoming familiar with one of the Java application servers is my next step after I complete my certification. I'm coming to Java from a WebObjects/Objective-C background. Having done some work with a group doing development on WebLogic, I was seriously unimpressed with how primitive it is compared with Apple's more mature product (now a 100% Java product, BTW).
Does anyone know if any of the Java application server products have anything like Apple's EOF (Enterprise Objects Foundation)? Or do you have to muck around with SQL in JDBC?
Matt Hicks
 
Carl Trusiak
Sheriff
Posts: 3341
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The review of "Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere" by Peter den Haan has been posted. You can read it at: http://www.javaranch.com/bunkhouse/bunkhouseJ2ee.jsp
 
Shreya Menon
Ranch Hand
Posts: 285
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome authors.
Maya
 
ravi bask
Ranch Hand
Posts: 58
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
welcome authors,
welcome to RANCH
 
ravi bask
Ranch Hand
Posts: 58
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hi authors,
Iam working in weblogic now, but i was working in websphere, i find weblogic is more simple than websphere, and i don't find any reason to switch to websphere,
But i hv a question now, i need to implement Composite primary key in my EJB , so how can i do that, does websphere allows me to do that or not,
san
 
Reda Mokrane
Ranch Hand
Posts: 237
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hi authors,
Does this book show how to design multi-layered J2EE applications?
Thanks
Reda Mokrane
 
Srinivas Velamuri
Greenhorn
Posts: 28
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome Authors. Till date I found most of the books on J2EE application servers and Java IDEs - covering a great deal on elementary topics, leaving a very limited coverage for the advanced topics such as EJB, JMS etc. I appreciate if your book fills that gap. Also it would be great if you can explain why one should read this book. Thanks.
 
ruilin yang
Ranch Hand
Posts: 334
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Authors,
Since there are quite a few Java application servers does your book make comparisons among these server's in terms of features and pros and cons?
Thanks in advance
Ruilin
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by ruilin yang:
Hi Authors,
Welcome!
I am using JRun to develop Java enterprise applications.
With IBM application server, what are server specific features ? for example, the server has server specific JSP Tag library ? I know very litter about IBM application server.
Please comments.
Thanks in advance
Ruilin

Ruilin -- the IBM app server has a ton of features -- which is why we needed a 500 page book to describe it! It includes special tag libraries, features for scaleability and failover that go light-years beyond JRun, and a host of other features.
Kyle Brown

------------------
Kyle Brown,
Editor of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by ruilin yang:
Hi Authors,
Since there are quite a few Java application servers does your book make comparisons among these server's in terms of features and pros and cons?
Thanks in advance
Ruilin

No we don't. We cover the IBM features and do not make a competitive comparison.
Kyle Brown
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by ravi bask:
hi authors,
Iam working in weblogic now, but i was working in websphere, i find weblogic is more simple than websphere, and i don't find any reason to switch to websphere,
But i hv a question now, i need to implement Composite primary key in my EJB , so how can i do that, does websphere allows me to do that or not,
san

Yes, WebSphere allows you to do composite primary keys for EJB's, and always has. But if you're not using WebSphere, why do you care?
KyleBrown
------------------
Kyle Brown,
Editor of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Srinivas Velamuri:
Welcome Authors. Till date I found most of the books on J2EE application servers and Java IDEs - covering a great deal on elementary topics, leaving a very limited coverage for the advanced topics such as EJB, JMS etc. I appreciate if your book fills that gap. Also it would be great if you can explain why one should read this book. Thanks.

Srinivas -- if you are doing EJB's, you should read this book for the advanced coverage of EJB architecture and advanced WebSphere/VAJ features like EJB Associations and Inheritance. Unfortunately we don't cover JMS in this edition -- that'll be something we'll have to get to in the second edition...
Kyle Brown

------------------
Kyle Brown,
Editor of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by JUNILU LACAR:
Hello Kyle and Greg.
Does your book discuss the Websphere Test Environment in VisualAge for Java? Does it have any coverage of using Struts?
I am currently on a project that, due to bureaucratic constraints, does not allow the developers to have direct access to the WebSphere Application Server environment. We are supposed to develop and do integration testing in the WTE. What kind of differences, if any, in the WTE environment should we plan to deal with when we migrate to WAS? We are also using Struts (with a lot of help from Kyle's article on using Struts with WTE). Are there any gotcha's when migrating our Struts-based JSPs from WTE to WAS?
Thanks in advance,
Junilu Lacar

Junilu,
Well, the book does cover the WTE in detail, but it was written prior to my exposure to struts, so it doesn't cover struts. That will be in the second edition.
Luckily, there aren't many differences between using Struts in VAJ and in WebSphere. Your applications should port without any problems so long as you are using the same version of Struts in both.
Kyle Brown

------------------
Kyle Brown,
Editor of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Reda Mokrane:
hi authors,
Does this book show how to design multi-layered J2EE applications?
Thanks
Reda Mokrane

Reda, the answer is YES! That is what are book was designed from the ground up to do. Layering is the first principle we teach and everything we cover about J2EE and WebSphere is tied back into building layered applications. For your purposes, I say our book would be perfect.
Kyle Brown

------------------
Kyle Brown,
Editor of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Max Tomlinson
Ranch Hand
Posts: 365
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
OK, I've got a question about WebSphere, one which IBM doesn't want to answer clearly:
Does your book address the problem that IBM EJBs have in that they use a proprietary lookup to resolve the remote interface (an rmi.iiop problem)? What this means is that you can't look up a WebSphere EJB from a non-IBM jvm. It's a real pain and IBM has said they will address it in a future WAS service pack for WAS 4.0. In the meantime, all I can say is that they've got a non-compliant App Server. Guess we'll be using Weblogic until it's fixed, since our non-IBM servers (JRUN, Iplanet) need to acccess EJBs too.
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Max Tomlinson
 
Mely Carlos
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
WELCOME Kyle and Greg!!
I am just starting to use Visual Age Java v3.5, Enterprise Edition and I see how well rounded it is. I got to use IBM WebSphere for my JSPs but I find the process a bit longer than the good old MS DOS prompt.
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Max Tomlinson:
OK, I've got a question about WebSphere, one which IBM doesn't want to answer clearly:
Does your book address the problem that IBM EJBs have in that they use a proprietary lookup to resolve the remote interface (an rmi.iiop problem)? What this means is that you can't look up a WebSphere EJB from a non-IBM jvm. It's a real pain and IBM has said they will address it in a future WAS service pack for WAS 4.0. In the meantime, all I can say is that they've got a non-compliant App Server. Guess we'll be using Weblogic until it's fixed, since our non-IBM servers (JRUN, Iplanet) need to acccess EJBs too.
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Max Tomlinson


No, we don't discuss it, and no, IBM doesn't have a non-compliant app server. The specification does not test for interoperability between app servers. I believe that what you're referring to is the ability of IBM's ORB to handle workload management through interaction with our COS naming JNDI server. We do require you to use IBM's ORB, which is why you have to use IBM's JVM for now. Actually, you should see some articles on VADD VERY soon on how to patch other JVM's with IBM's ORB -- we already do that for Sun's ORB on Solaris.
So to help me get this straight, is your problem that the other app servers won't run on IBM's JVM?

------------------
Kyle Brown,
Editor of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Son Bean
Greenhorn
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
great!!! i am interested in that book
The book base on which version of IBM Websphere?
3.5 or 4.0?
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Son Bean:
great!!! i am interested in that book
The book base on which version of IBM Websphere?
3.5 or 4.0?

Son, it is based on 3.5. That's because it's basically impossible to put a book out simultaneous with a release -- the production process just takes too long.
Kyle Brown

------------------
Kyle Brown,
Author of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Kyle Brown:

We do require you to use IBM's ORB, which is why you have to use IBM's JVM for now. Actually, you should see some articles on VADD VERY soon on how to patch other JVM's with IBM's ORB -- we already do that for Sun's ORB on Solaris.

Actually, I just found out it's already been released. See here:
http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/wsdd/downloads/pluggableclient.html
Kyle Brown
------------------
Kyle Brown,
Author of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
gary troknya
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hi authors;
i am now taking java at college. i work for an ibm business partner. we have websphere and we work on an as/400 platform.
i hope to get more involved with websphere at work,BUT i seem to
be pigeon holed by the boss! ps, i am new to this site. found out about it from my teacher.
 
Greg Hester
Author
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by gary troknya:
hi authors;
i am now taking java at college. i work for an ibm business partner. we have websphere and we work on an as/400 platform.
i hope to get more involved with websphere at work,BUT i seem to
be pigeon holed by the boss! ps, i am new to this site. found out about it from my teacher.

Gary,
Glad you are getting into Java and WebSphere. I think you will find that this set of tools will not only make you more productive but will broaden your ability to serve more users on different platforms. For instance, I'm currently working on a project with IBM WebSphere on Windows 2000. After our first release, other groups in the company wanted to try out the software on other platforms. Within days, these groups had the web application running on Linux and also the Mac OS.
Keep pressing forward!


------------------
Greg Hester,
Author of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
ruilin yang
Ranch Hand
Posts: 334
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kyle,
Thanks for your answer.
I am look forward to reading your book.
Ruilin
 
William Barnes
Ranch Hand
Posts: 986
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
500 pages! I don't have pay for shipping if I win do I?
 
ruilin yang
Ranch Hand
Posts: 334
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Author,
Does your book discuss about IDE and debudging with the IBMWebSphere Server ?
How about the capability of JSP development IDE of the develop environment?
When we use JSP with JavaBeans, sometime we encounter problem due to its not-thread safe nature. Does your book covers deep discussion on this aspect ?
Thanks in advance
Ruilin
 
Greg Hester
Author
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by ruilin yang:
Author,
Does your book discuss about IDE and debudging with the IBMWebSphere Server ?
How about the capability of JSP development IDE of the develop environment?
When we use JSP with JavaBeans, sometime we encounter problem due to its not-thread safe nature. Does your book covers deep discussion on this aspect ?
Thanks in advance
Ruilin

Ruilin,
The book does indeed discuss how to use the IBM VisualAge for Java IDE and how to use the built-in IBM WebSphere Test Environment. Additionally, IBM VisualAge for Java comes with a built-in JSP Execution Monitor which will assist in debugging misbehaving JSPs. The book covers the use of all of these tools.
If you care to elaborate on "not-thread safe nature" of JSP and JavaBeans, perhaps Kyle or I can give some assistance there.

------------------
Greg Hester,
Author of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by christopher foran:
500 pages! I don't have pay for shipping if I win do I?

Plllbbbbb!!! Carl -- if he does win, make sure to charge him shipping on a per-page basis
Kyle Brown

------------------
Kyle Brown,
Author of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Kerry Shannon
Ranch Hand
Posts: 31
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We are struggling to resolve a database connection pooling issue. We have your book (I highly recommend it ) and looked into p. 405-412 for suggestions. We are connecting but not releasing the connection to the database, and therefore lock it up.
Where can I get additional suggestions or help to resolve this issue connecting a java web app to Informix using the Informix JDBC 2.2 driver?
 
ruilin yang
Ranch Hand
Posts: 334
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Greg. That is great.
 
Bala Raj
Ranch Hand
Posts: 75
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome authors.
Bala
 
Mindy Benoist
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the JavaRanch.
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Kerry Shannon:
We are struggling to resolve a database connection pooling issue. We have your book (I highly recommend it ) and looked into p. 405-412 for suggestions. We are connecting but not releasing the connection to the database, and therefore lock it up.
Where can I get additional suggestions or help to resolve this issue connecting a java web app to Informix using the Informix JDBC 2.2 driver?

Thanks for the recommendation. Now, when you say you are connecting but not releasing, what do you mean? Are you obtaining the database connection from a DataSource (I suppose yes) and are you closing the connection when you are done with it (I hope yes)? What are the symptoms of your problem?
Kyle Brown

------------------
Kyle Brown,
Author of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
 
Mindy Benoist
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Has you run across this little bugger? Every so often (1-2 days) this Exception gets thrown from the Websphere container, and the only solution is that we have to restart the application, potentially kicking off any users we have in production at that time. This is making our system unusable!
Some specs: we are running WebSphere Application Server Advanced Edition Version 3 Release 5 and using DB2 for database.
Thanks in advance.
 
Mindy Benoist
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sorry, I forgot to say the "little bugger" is: ResourceAllocationException.
com.ibm.ejs.cm.portability.ResourceAllocationException
 
ragabo
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, Kyle & Greg! Welcome

------------------
 
Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic